Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gorilla777
    • Aug 2009

Ozzie Smith bat in SCP...

Is not an '80-'82 Cardinals/Pads bat, but a '79-'80 Padres bat...big difference. I have notified SCP, but I am surprised they and the consigner did not know. I was sold the bat at one time as an '82, then saw there was no evidence of a 2 stamped on the knob upon inscpection.
    I'm sure the intent has been to place it within the '82 St. Louis WS Champs Year or time frame...
  • seanbaseball
    • Aug 2014

Re: Ozzie Smith bat in SCP...

I own the bat and just sent to scp with a group of other stuff. Ill contact them to get it corrected. There was no intent on my part to deceive anyone and I don't appreciate that assumption.

Comment

• gorilla777
      • Aug 2009

There's no need to be defensive then, if you didn't have that intent. It was simply pointing out an error; relax and don't take things personally.

Comment

• seanbaseball
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by gorilla777
        There's no need to be defensive then, if you didn't have that intent. It was simply pointing out an error; relax and don't take things personally.
        LOL gotcha!

Comment

• BirdsOnBat
          • Sep 2014

I have notified SCP, but I am surprised they and the consigner did not know...
          I'm sure the intent has been to place it within the '82 St. Louis WS Champs Year or time frame...
          It was simply pointing out an error; relax and don't take things personally.
          In all fairness these 2 quotes seem mutually exclusive specifically given the use of the word intent and I would think most on here, if in err, would have a negative reaction.

Comment

• MSpecht
            • Oct 2005

Here is a past thread with numerous pics and data.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Comment

• Birdbats
              • Nov 2005

I don't believe the lack of a batch code necessarily means this is a 1979-80 bat. I have seen other AD bats from the '80-'82 label era, with no batch code like this one, that almost had to have been made in '81 or '82 based on the players' careers and teams. The Ozzie bat could date back as far as 1979, but I think the end range could extend to 1983 because I'm not convinced 100 percent of the bats made during that era received the batch code.
              Jeff Scott
              birdbats@charter.net
              http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• seanbaseball
                • Aug 2014

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Sounds like the 80-82 range is in good order then!

Comment

• gorilla777
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BirdsOnBat
                  In all fairness these 2 quotes seem mutually exclusive specifically given the use of the word intent and I would think most on here, if in err, would have a negative reaction.
                  I will respectively agree to disagree here and leave it at that...

Comment

• seanbaseball
                    • Aug 2014

It was at least implied (no, it was actually stated) that the intent was to deceive buyers. Im a big boy and can handle the criticism although I think it was awfully premature. This was not the case and ironically the listing appears to be correct. Im assuming you will follow up with SCP with this new correct information? I shall now move on with no hard feelings.

Comment

• gorilla777
                      • Aug 2009

You can re-read my first post again, but this time it would be easy to take it where the intent portion could be assumed to be the auction house that is listing the item. It is either sent in labeled as something by the consigner or the auction house labels it and runs it as such. You chose to read it directed at you, maybe solely at you, whereas others have read it differently from the get-go. There are a number of threads calling into question items at auction and the auction house themselves.
                      The bats missing the batch code and year, have all been '79-'80 bats in my experiences. I had checked in with a couple of different authenticators some time ago to query them on this variety and both told me those are late '79 production bats. They have seen many more bats than I have, I know that much, so it held some weight. There may be a random exception to this rule here or there, per other comments, but that has not been the case for any I have seen or had checked out. At the very least, it would be the vast majority falling into that camp.
                      And Sean, you possibly have an email from me somewhere with my contact info, including phone number. If you don't, then I will shoot one over. Then you can feel free to contact me directly thru either route and we can continue this dialogue person to person.

Comment

• ndevlin
                        • Mar 2008

I do have this exact same bat, and I have it labeled in my excel as a '79.

Comment

• seanbaseball
                          • Aug 2014

You can re-read my first post again, but this time it would be easy to take it where the intent portion could be assumed to be the auction house that is listing the item. It is either sent in labeled as something by the consigner or the auction house labels it and runs it as such. You chose to read it directed at you, maybe solely at you, whereas others have read it differently from the get-go. There are a number of threads calling into question items at auction and the auction house themselves.
                          The bats missing the batch code and year, have all been '79-'80 bats in my experiences. I had checked in with a couple of different authenticators some time ago to query them on this variety and both told me those are late '79 production bats. They have seen many more bats than I have, I know that much, so it held some weight. There may be a random exception to this rule here or there, per other comments, but that has not been the case for any I have seen or had checked out. At the very least, it would be the vast majority falling into that camp.
                          And Sean, you possibly have an email from me somewhere with my contact info, including phone number. If you don't, then I will shoot one over. Then you can feel free to contact me directly thru either route and we can continue this dialogue person to person.
                          email sent

Comment

• seanbaseball
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ndevlin
                            I do have this exact same bat, and I have it labeled in my excel as a '79.
                            Sounds like there are multiple opinions here. Im simply just trying to sell a bat and now I wish I had just kept it on the wall. LOL I trust Jeff and am going to keep the auction labeled as is. I cant list it as some think its 1979, some think its 1979-1980 and others say 1980-82 with a possibility of 1979.

Comment

• ndevlin
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by seanbaseball
                              Sounds like there are multiple opinions here. Im simply just trying to sell a bat and now I wish I had just kept it on the wall. LOL I trust Jeff and am going to keep the auction labeled as is. I cant list it as some think its 1979, some think its 1979-1980 and others say 1980-82 with a possibility of 1979.
                              No I believe Ben is right as it is a 79-80. I imagine I labeled it as a '79 in my excel because I was able to pinpoint it to that yr somehow yrs ago when I purchased it.

Comment

Working...