PDA

View Full Version : New Rangers' procedures

coxfan
08-27-2015, 09:56 AM
I went to Rangers' games versus Toronto this week. I really like the new way they're selling game-used items at the stadium during games. The "Fanatics" company has a booth in the stadium concourse. The guy in charge knows all about game-used items, and is readily accessible for questions. He picks up authenticated balls after the third inning, and the rest from that game's later innings by the next home game. (If they start a road trip, he has the remaining balls from the last home game available at the next home game). There are other items, such as bats, jerseys, lineup cards, and autographed items also at the booth.

What's novel is that he has a copy of the authenticator's notes that will be used to enter into the database the next day. So you can see immediately what the hologram will say before it's entered, and use that to pick your ball before purchase.

This is a vast improvement over the Grand Slam store that previously sold everything. They still have old game-used balls from 2013, displayed in the window facing inside the concourse so you can see them. But there's one catch: The description of those balls faces inside the store, so only clerks can read them since they're well behind the counter! Why don't they just turn the descriptions around, so they can be read from the concourse?!

sox83cubs84
08-27-2015, 10:51 PM
I've been at the Cell for Sox games the past two nights, and the team's gift shop. at least for now, have stopped placing cards next to the baseballs for sale thatcite the date and the opponent. So, unless you can read the tiny hologram number from outside the display case and have a smartphone with Internet access (both no go in my case), you don't know what you're getting that trip.

Dave Miedema

beef
08-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Hey Dave, if you're going back for any of the mariners series I'd like to be connected to someone who can get me a list of available baseballs. I've had no luck finding an email address for the Sox. Thank you and glad to see your health is allowing ball games.
-Ryan
ryancolbs@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
08-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey Dave, if you're going back for any of the mariners series I'd like to be connected to someone who can get me a list of available baseballs. I've had no luck finding an email address for the Sox. Thank you and glad to see your health is allowing ball games.
-Ryan
ryancolbs@yahoo.com

I don't think I'll be going back during the Mariners series. If I do, don't get too excited, as there are only 5 or 6 baseballs in the entire display case.

Dave M.

coxfan
08-30-2015, 12:59 PM
I'll add that the Rangers seem to be authenticating 15-20 balls per game, and it looks like half of them were selling quickly at the concourse store.

sorklora
08-31-2015, 02:25 PM
I went to Rangers' games versus Toronto this week. I really like the new way they're selling game-used items at the stadium during games. The "Fanatics" company has a booth in the stadium concourse. The guy in charge knows all about game-used items, and is readily accessible for questions. He picks up authenticated balls after the third inning, and the rest from that game's later innings by the next home game. (If they start a road trip, he has the remaining balls from the last home game available at the next home game). There are other items, such as bats, jerseys, lineup cards, and autographed items also at the booth.

What's novel is that he has a copy of the authenticator's notes that will be used to enter into the database the next day. So you can see immediately what the hologram will say before it's entered, and use that to pick your ball before purchase.

This is a vast improvement over the Grand Slam store that previously sold everything. They still have old game-used balls from 2013, displayed in the window facing inside the concourse so you can see them. But there's one catch: The description of those balls faces inside the store, so only clerks can read them since they're well behind the counter! Why don't they just turn the descriptions around, so they can be read from the concourse?!

You have to be careful with the Grand Slam gift shop balls. They tried selling me one that was labeled as a Beltre home run ball with the note stating that, but when I checked the MLB hologram, it was some pitch in the dirt to another random hitter, haha. So they definitely aren't accurate.

coxfan
09-02-2015, 02:49 PM
The Rangers' authenticator is also, in some cases, verifying the history of balls used for as many as three straight batters. I bought a ball authenticated as being ball four to Choo, followed by a ground out by Fielder, then a foul by Beltre before coming out of play.

The poor knowledge by clerks ablut their game-used items is too common. I have several times been told that there was nothing from a certain year or event, only to find the item easily when I looked around the store.

cjw
09-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know if the "Fanatics" web site (http://www.fanatics.com/search/line%20ups) is a legit extension of the in-stadium seller? Thanks!

sorklora
09-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know if the "Fanatics" web site (http://www.fanatics.com/search/line%20ups) is a legit extension of the in-stadium seller? Thanks!

Yes it is, as is sportsmemorabilia.com

ndevlin
09-02-2015, 10:42 PM
But they are not the same... So in other words, you won't be able to contact the website and say you want something from the ballpark, because it doesn't work that way

coxfan
09-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Just a general point, not necessarily applicable to the Rangers: Once, when I was seeking Red Sox game-used balls, I first found some advertised on the "auctions" part of MLB.com Although that didn't have what I wanted, I got from there the contact info for the Red Store across from the stadium. Now I can call them directly for balls that aren't advertised, but are available outside the stadium. Unlike some teams, their people are knowledgeable enough to be helpful.

cjw
09-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Yes it is, as is sportsmemorabilia.com

Thanks!

cjw
09-03-2015, 05:20 PM
But they are not the same... So in other words, you won't be able to contact the website and say you want something from the ballpark, because it doesn't work that way

Thanks. Found something (lineup) that I wanted on the site and despite the fact they won't ship this type of item ("manufacturer direct item" ....I assume that means from the team?) to me in Canada, it is comforting to know that I should get the item I expect (albeit through a friend in the U.S. first).