PDA

View Full Version : What Will Be Next?-Offer Suggestions:

Swoboda4
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
What will be next in our hobby? Let's offer suggestions and I'll start with this:

A bat used by a Major League player in a game, that has your name inscribed on it. For a fee(of course) either Steiner or the player will offer to use a bat that will probably look like this on the barrel:
GENUINE C243
BILL SMITH
C.BELTRAN vs StL 7/1/07

I've e-mailed Brooks Cowan with this suggestion today. I think it would be well received not only by the game used hobby but would be of interest to the average fan. This may be the closest any of us gets to the game. Imagine your bat being involved in an important hit! I think a slogan is born: "GET IN THE GAME".

Any other suggestions or ideas?
Robert

GameBats
01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
UGH! :confused:

skipcareyisfat
01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
It is an interesting idea.

Cost through Steiner: $10,000
Value to everyone but you: $0

suave1477
01-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I have to agree with SkipCarey on this one!!!:cool:

allstarsplus
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
You probably gave Steiner an idea that they may use, but I agree with Skipcarey that it will be an expensive item to you and not much value if you ever decide to sell it.

Here is what I want all the professional clubs to go to is a unique barcode on the inside of each jersey that the equipment manager will be required to scan in before each game. That will solve the game used jersey problem and any authentication issue. I made the suggestion to Steiner a while ago.

It would be great especially to have the NFL go to this system considering tracking 16 regular season games shouldn't be difficult.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

sylbry
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Here is what I want all the professional clubs to go to is a unique barcode on the inside of each jersey that the equipment manager will be required to scan in before each game. That will solve the game used jersey problem and any authentication issue. I made the suggestion to Steiner a while ago.

That is an interesting idea. Here is how I see it.

Pros

For the collector - know exactly which games the item was used and have nearly a fault proof method of authenticity (in theory as of now). Plus the barcode will be hidden unlike MLB's stickers where they like to place them in the most unappealing places.

For the team - increased value of their game used items as less people will be inclined to buy fake merchandise. Would also limit fraudulent selling of fake memorabilia.

Cons

For the collector - this may sound stupid but a barcode will take away the thrill of the hunt when it comes to documenting. I enjoy looking for photos and doing research to document a game used item. If you know when and where it was used, well there would be no need to do that anymore. Also, the price of the system would ultimately be passed onto the collector thus increased costs of game used items.

For the team - may not want the additional administrative headache of scanning in every item before a game. Also, compliance by the equipment manager would be very important.

Finally, who would be in charge of attaching the bar codes and administering the system to update the bar code number to the proper piece used by each player.

camarokids
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
What will be next in our hobby? Let's offer suggestions and I'll start with this:

A bat used by a Major League player in a game, that has your name inscribed on it. For a fee(of course) either Steiner or the player will offer to use a bat that will probably look like this on the barrel:
GENUINE C243
BILL SMITH
C.BELTRAN vs StL 7/1/07

I've e-mailed Brooks Cowan with this suggestion today. I think it would be well received not only by the game used hobby but would be of interest to the average fan. This may be the closest any of us gets to the game. Imagine your bat being involved in an important hit! I think a slogan is born: "GET IN THE GAME".

Any other suggestions or ideas?
Robert

This would benefit who??? The rich and steiner and MLB????:eek: I quess if you could afford it and the money goes to a charity????

How about MLB Players get an attitude adjustment and stop worrying about people making a buck off their signature, bats, etc ......I have bought Devil Rays team signed baseballs for under $50 . I'm sure whoever got the ball signed had more than that into it(cost of tickets , parking fees, etc) . It's almost impossible to get a teamball completed in one game........My point is MLB made their money on that ball already in the cost of admission....

We have multi-millionaires worrying about petty crap like that..........:eek:

Swoboda4
01-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I disagree that the bat would be of no value other than to the purchaser.
(1) The bat is absolute proof of game use for a particular day.(Value unlike we have today)
(2) If something significant happens offensively and that bat contributed I would consider purchasing it in the future,despite the consumers name on it.
(3)The chance to pre-order what could be history. You order from Steiner a date for use. If something historically significant happens with that bat it's yours,no if ands or buts. Not Cooperstown,-yours. That bat would still be of value to others. OR Didn't like your name on it try this:

IDEA #2
Steiners offers a bat used by a player for a particular game that has the following on the barrel:
GENUINE C243
TOM GLAVINE
Mets vs Cubs 7/1/07
You pre-order a game and pending the players in the line-up,it can be yours.
(P.S. as a finders fee if Steiners uses this idea and it works,can I request a Jose Reyes bat for a game in '07?)
Robert

camarokids
01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I say screw Steiner and you should try and talk to Louisville Slugger and MLB about your idea(s) ... If it's works and you make a mint, Please remember who told you :cool:

I would like to see a couple of new reputable game used on-line dealers pop up , with reasonable prices though .

Swoboda4
01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Sylbry,you have a point:
"For the collector - this may sound stupid but a barcode will take away the thrill of the hunt when it comes to documenting. I enjoy looking for photos and doing research to document a game used item."

Swoboda4
01-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Camarokids-I didn't think of that. I thought it was just a good idea not that I could be losing out on $. Also if a player objects to doing this ,and I guess there will be a good number who would,there's a way to turn them around and it's this: For one game a player will "Come to bat" for a sick kid. The childs name will be on the bat like previously described,and the bat is auctioned off for charity with the bat going to the child. The winning bidder and the player present the bat to the child(kids with Cancer,aids,etc). Hopefully the player gets a hit with the bat and that also helps to publicize the "Your name on the bat" product.

allstarsplus
01-19-2007, 08:06 PM
For one game a player will "Come to bat" for a sick kid. The childs name will be on the bat like previously described,and the bat is auctioned off for charity with the bat going to the child. The winning bidder and the player present the bat to the child(kids with Cancer,aids,etc). Hopefully the player gets a hit with the bat and that also helps to publicize the "Your name on the bat" product.

Nice thoughts and any great idea that raises money for charity is a positive, but I remember last season the debacle with a few of the pink LS for Breast Cancer. Most that went to auction were used in the game for at least one at-bat, and some were only used in BP, and some players didn't use them at all. Pink bats were recognizable so there was no getting around whether or not they were actually used during the game.

So many of these nice endeavors are done on the honor system and when it is done for charity and a player doesn't follow thru it is horrible.

Andrew

both-teams-played-hard
01-19-2007, 10:31 PM
A bat used by a Major League player in a game, that has your name inscribed on it.
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3770/mebathr3.jpg

Swoboda4
01-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Actually this is a better idea:

PRO STIK 141C
SLOAN-KETTERING HOSPITAL

Carlos Beltran,NY Mets vs Atlanta June 3-6,2007