PDA

View Full Version : Willie Stargell embroidered gold "s" star hat patches

hauserad
08-30-2015, 02:00 AM
I'm brand new to this forum but a veteran to the hobby. I collected game worn hockey for thirty years. They're all gone now after I sold them off. I thought it was the coolest hobby ever and had so much fun.

I have fifty Willie Stargell embroidered "s" star hat patches with adhesive backs that are divided on two 25 count sheets. I have them because my father's emblem company back in the late seventies or early eighties produced them for Stargell. As we all know, he gave them to his teammates if they played well to apply to their pill box hats. My father recalled that it was Stargell's agent who contacted him to produce the patches.

I did a search and it doesn't appear that they've been reproduced, but I could be wrong. If they haven't I'm surprised.

I wanted to see how interesting these patches are in the game worn community. When I brought some to a card show in the mid eighties they were met with an underwhelming response. Time has passed so I thought that I would check in again.

icollectDCsports
08-30-2015, 10:08 AM
I purchased an unused Stargell star, with an S, a couple of years ago on eBay from a seller who sold several of them individually over a period of a year or so. He claimed they were original. I recall they went for around $10 each. While it was well done and looked legit, I always wondered whether the one I purchased was original or a reproduction. Would be helpful if you could post a photo of yours, preferably front and back, so we can see what a real one looks like up close. I think there's still a market for them, probably still in the range they sold for on eBay. If mine ends up being not legit, I'd be interested in buying one from you.

hauserad
08-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Photos

hauserad
08-30-2015, 10:39 AM
These hats are apparently Stargell gamers, and a Tekulve gamer.

icollectDCsports
08-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks. Those stars do like like the one I own. I suppose a number of unused stars did survive through more than one source. Probably marketable somewhere in the range they had been sold for on eBay previously.