PDA

View Full Version : Was this gary sheffield hat game worn?

dre707
09-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I purchased this hat on eBay and in pics it does appear used but when I got it in person it looks almost new except for the crease on front it's not dirty on sweatband can you guys tell or need better pics I was gonna send it in to meats for authentication but don't wanna throw $100 authenticating it just to get it back saying it's not game worn any help I appreciatehttp://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1838470&image=850071902&images=850071902,850071906,850071910,850071915,850 071918,850071925,850071933,850071896&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

sox83cubs84
09-01-2015, 10:28 PM
I purchased this hat on eBay and in pics it does appear used but when I got it in person it looks almost new except for the crease on front it's not dirty on sweatband can you guys tell or need better pics I was gonna send it in to meats for authentication but don't wanna throw $100 authenticating it just to get it back saying it's not game worn any help I appreciatehttp://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1838470&image=850071902&images=850071902,850071906,850071910,850071915,850 071918,850071925,850071933,850071896&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Contact me at sox83cubs84@hotmail.com . I can save you some $$$ in authenticating fees.

Dave Miedema

dre707
09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
I was trying to see what you guys thought before I sent it in for authenticating so please feel free to post what you think

danesei@yahoo.com
09-02-2015, 07:40 PM
I hate dealing with Marlins hats from that era. I think the hat is team issued, but it's hard to argue game used v unused without having it in hand. Also, do you know if the hat size is appropriate for Sheff?

Honestly, even if the hat isn't game used, I think it's a nice item.

If you're really concerned about it, send it to Dave Miedema. His fee is likely to be 50-67% lower than MEARS fee, and his opinion is generally respected within the game used community.

dre707
09-07-2015, 06:13 PM
I hate dealing with Marlins hats from that era. I think the hat is team issued, but it's hard to argue game used v unused without having it in hand. Also, do you know if the hat size is appropriate for Sheff?

Honestly, even if the hat isn't game used, I think it's a nice item.

If you're really concerned about it, send it to Dave Miedema. His fee is likely to be 50-67% lower than MEARS fee, and his opinion is generally respected within the game used community.

I actually want a actual coa with pictures of item and place a hologram on item Dave doesn't do that but just write a letter and not everyone is familiar with him that's why I'd rather go through mears

yanks12025
09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
A lot of people in this hobby know Dave and he's one of the best people when it comes to jerseys and stuff.

danesei@yahoo.com
09-07-2015, 06:58 PM
I actually want a actual coa with pictures of item and place a hologram on item Dave doesn't do that but just write a letter and not everyone is familiar with him that's why I'd rather go through mears

I disagree, somewhat. Dave doesn't holo or add lots of pictures, but that's more of a technology issue. I think his current LOA includes a single photo of the item.

As for MEARS, I don't really see the value of their holo system. You need to be a MEARS member ($40/yr) to validate the number in order to check the item. To me, that system doesn't exactly make sense. Just my thought on that.

TG19
09-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Nothing is wrong with a Dave Miedema LOA! I have some myself!!:D

Wrigley2010
09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Nothing is wrong with a Dave Miedema LOA! I have some myself!!:D

Completely agree, I have a binder with a section dedicated to Dave's LOA's. It's the section before the PSA LOA's ;)

Wrigley2010
09-07-2015, 08:48 PM

I wanted to add that I completely understand where dre707 is coming from though. While us "die-hards" know Dave and his reputation very well for someone in dre707's situation who may want to market his hat to a wider customer base, holograms matched with company websites do make sense. Mears is a respected auction house/authenticator and I don't believe you can go wrong with them either. I felt the need to clarify this a bit after re-reading dre's wants/needs.

dre707
09-08-2015, 07:14 PM
I wanted to add that I completely understand where dre707 is coming from though. While us "die-hards" know Dave and his reputation very well for someone in dre707's situation who may want to market his hat to a wider customer base, holograms matched with company websites do make sense. Mears is a respected auction house/authenticator and I don't believe you can go wrong with them either. I felt the need to clarify this a bit after re-reading dre's wants/needs.

Thanks for your thoughts and I just think presentation wise mears is what I wanna go with don't plan on selling it I don't sell what I buy I collect Sheffield only and like I said it's all in presentation when I show off to friends and family and online I'd rather go with a known company than just the opinion of a guy if that's the case I can do the same thing just make up a letter and sign it with my opinion. No offense to Dave I'm sure he is known I see him comment in just about every game used item on this website very knowledgeable but I like to go with a real company thanks to everyone for the help

TG19
09-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Have you seen who does LOA's for Goldinauction? It's Dave Miedema. He gives out so much free info and helps people out on this forum, which I Thank him for that! :D ...he loves what he does!...he doesn't have to, most people are all about $$$$!!

yanks12025
09-08-2015, 07:43 PM
If you're going to keep it. Then why waste the money on a letter to tell you the same thing that people here have already said about the hat.

People in this hobby depend to much on the piece of paper from XYZ company.

ndevlin
09-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and I just think presentation wise mears is what I wanna go with don't plan on selling it I don't sell what I buy I collect Sheffield only and like I said it's all in presentation when I show off to friends and family and online I'd rather go with a known company than just the opinion of a guy if that's the case I can do the same thing just make up a letter and sign it with my opinion. No offense to Dave I'm sure he is known I see him comment in just about every game used item on this website very knowledgeable but I like to go with a real company thanks to everyone for the help

You don't sell what you buy? Thought I saw somewhere last month you told someone you had a Braves Sheff jersey available?

Anywho, I have a few Sheff bats I'd be willing to part with, including a HR bat. Email me if you're interested.

dre707
09-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I was gonna purchase that jersey but never did I started dialysis so I couldn't afford it anymore and was just looking to see what I would of been able to get for it but like I said I never did buy that jersey. Now that I'm really sick I'm trying to get the ultimate game worn item in my opinion a Gary Sheffield game worn jersey but can't afford it anymore

danesei@yahoo.com
09-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I was gonna purchase that jersey but never did I started dialysis so I couldn't afford it anymore and was just looking to see what I would of been able to get for it but like I said I never did buy that jersey. Now that I'm really sick I'm trying to get the ultimate game worn item in my opinion a Gary Sheffield game worn jersey but can't afford it anymore

Sorry to hear that you're sick, but your response is really confusing in context. Are you saying that you advertised the Braves jersey for sale before you even owned it yourself? That sounds like "Sports Memorabilia.Com since 1996" style business model.

Oh, as for the hat, it's your money, so spend it as you wish, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to spend $100 to possibly authenticate a hat worth $75 or so that might bring $150-$200 in an auction setting... assuming the right buyers are looking.