PDA

View Full Version : Can autographs be removed from bats?

Number9
01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
No disrespect intended to those of you that like game used items signed, but I am on the other side of the fence where I don't like autographs on game used items, as they were never worn that way.
I don't want to start the great debate again, I respect everyone's right to do what they want.
I personally have removed autographs fairly easily from several jerseys but I am posting this thread to ask if anyone ever removed an auto from a bat?
Is that easy to do? Impossible? I assume a light sanding in that area would take the ink off easily but I also assume it would change the appearance of that surface?
Would ink removers that work on jerseys like Amodox work on bats?
I'd like to pick up a Dale Murphy game used bat and there's two on ebay but both are signed so they don't work for me unless I could remove the signatures.
Anyone ever removed autographs from bats? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Number9

Yankwood
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
No disrespect intended to those of you that like game used items signed, but I am on the other side of the fence where I don't like autographs on game used items, as they were never worn that way.
I don't want to start the great debate again, I respect everyone's right to do what they want.
I personally have removed autographs fairly easily from several jerseys but I am posting this thread to ask if anyone ever removed an auto from a bat?
Is that easy to do? Impossible? I assume a light sanding in that area would take the ink off easily but I also assume it would change the appearance of that surface?
Would ink removers that work on jerseys like Amodox work on bats?
I'd like to pick up a Dale Murphy game used bat and there's two on ebay but both are signed so they don't work for me unless I could remove the signatures.
Anyone ever removed autographs from bats? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Number9Sobebody once told me toothpaste worked although I have never tried it. On bats, I mean.

camarokids
01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Here's the story on how I made my discovery . The 1999 season , just after batting practice inside The Trop , St. Petersburg, FL (not Tampa). I am trying to complete a Devil Rays team signed game used bat that Mike DiFelice gave to me . A nicely used T-141 two toned (I believe they call it a Walker Finish) bat using gold ink . Well Larry Rothschild goes to sign my bat and the pen quit working . I told Larry to shake it a little , well he shook it more than a little and gold ink went all over his hand and uniform and some even got on the bat too. Needless to say Larry was not exactly thrilled and I didn't get his autograph that day. Hey if anybody has his 1999 Home White uniform and there's gold ink on it . It's legit !!!!
Well, the mess on the bat only ruined one signature . So I had to remove all the ink Rothschild got on the bat . Maybe I should charge for my secret :D:D:D:D.......

camarokids
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Just Kidding :D:D:D:D

I used virgin olive oil and a no. 2 pencil eraser . It will take a couple of times of applying the oil and erasing then wiping up with a clean white rag/towel . I just won on ebay a Mike DiFelice bat that was signed in silver ink . It also had 2000 written between the MLB Players Logo and The Model number , players name, etc . Well I didn't like that so I removed the 2000 with no problems and left the autograph . I will post pic's in a little while. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK ON BLACK SHARPIES , I know it only works on Gold and Silver ink pens .

icollectDCsports
01-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I think the key issue with removing a signature from a bat is whether the ink (whether it be black or some other color) has penetrated into the grain of the bat, or whether it is basically sitting on the surface of some sort of finish which has sealed the grain. If the former, I think removing a signature would be very difficult because you would probably need to sand into the wood beyond where the ink has penetrated. It would be up to you whether having a sanded area, looking obviously different from the finish of the rest of the bat, is acceptable. If the ink has not penetrated the wood grain, then as was suggested above perhaps some solvent can be used to remove the ink without damaging the wood or the finish on the bat. Also, if the bat is not finished with some coating sealing the grain, applying something like olive oil is going to lead to the oil getting into the wood grain and staining it, compounding your problem.

Number9
01-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Great thoughts from everyone. Thank you very much for your time. I guess I have to decide how expensive a bat I am willing to risk. If I was talking about a $50 bat maybe it would be worth a shot, but a $500 Dale Murphy bat is quite a risk. I will take all the great info and opinions you have all provided and give it some thought.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Mike

Number9
01-19-2007, 11:29 PM
icollectDCsports,
You made some great points. Thanks. A sanded area would be even worse than an auto for me (and to everyone else I imagine).
Perhaps I just need to wait until I can find an unsigned Murphy bat that I am comfortable with. Or at the least I need to first experiment with a cheap or unused bat.
Thanks again.

Mike

camarokids
01-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I think the key issue with removing a signature from a bat is whether the ink (whether it be black or some other color) has penetrated into the grain of the bat, or whether it is basically sitting on the surface of some sort of finish which has sealed the grain. If the former, I think removing a signature would be very difficult because you would probably need to sand into the wood beyond where the ink has penetrated. It would be up to you whether having a sanded area, looking obviously different from the finish of the rest of the bat, is acceptable. If the ink has not penetrated the wood grain, then as was suggested above perhaps some solvent can be used to remove the ink without damaging the wood or the finish on the bat. Also, if the bat is not finished with some coating sealing the grain, applying something like olive oil is going to lead to the oil getting into the wood grain and staining it, compounding your problem.

Due to my experience using olive oil on my bats for years and removing ink, excess pine tar from the M9 label , etc . I have to disagree big time ! The olive oil will actually help restain certian colored bats . Example I have a Kevin Stocker gamer that has chip on the barrell that was showing bare wood , well after several applications , the color/staining has magically re-appeared . As far getting the ink out of the grain ...... look at the pics of the DiFelice bat and tell me what you see . If I didn't know the 2000 was written there, you would never be able to tell . It takes time and several applications and erasing and you can get it out of the grain.......HOWEVER AS STATED BEFORE this works on SILVER & GOLD ink only and on stained bats (brown,rose, black, walker finish) ...I have not used this on natural wood bats....WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT USE SAND PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2942

icollectDCsports
01-20-2007, 12:07 PM
On the black bat, it appears that the grain is sealed by the black paint, so the gold marker probably never got into the grain. By grain, I mean the actual pores of the wood, bare wood. Most bats these days have some sort of finish that covers the bare wood and seals it pretty well, whether that finish is colored paint or a clear finish like polyurathane. With use, some of the finish can be worn off and it may be possible for ink, sharpie, paint pen, to get into those areas. But I'm sure many bats with decent use are still sealed very well.

Applying any liquid (that does not totally evaporate) to bare wood grain has the ability to stain it. Changing the color of wood is one reason why various oils are sometimes used to finish furniture. In some cases, it may stain portions of the bat to look like the rest of the bat and you may view that as a benefit. Or it may restore the sheen or luster to a portion of a finished bat that has been worked on to remove an autograph. When making the decision whether to try to remove an autograph, the person making that decision will need to consider all of these factors.

camarokids
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi there DC, you are absolutely correct , that's why I have never tried it on natural bats. My brother is big into woodworking and gave me the idea to try it , back in 1999 . I have even used the olive oil just to put more shine on some bats that were heavily used w/ no problems . I responded to your private messaage a few minutes ago.

camarokids
01-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi there again DC, I forgot to mention the silver ink did get into the grain (on top of the black coating , this was the hardest part to get out . But it can be done . I assume the coated bats keep the ink from getting deep into the wood, just like you said . Thanks for helping clarify the differences between natural and coated bats .... I don't want anyone to be confused and screw up a bat . I do apologize if my post came across the wrong way ! Just sharing what has worked for me :D:D:D:D:D:D. I will let you know about my success or failure removing ink from a plastic batting helmet..................

richpick
01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I have removed black sharpie signatures on game used team bats before and I used a little paint thinner and the signature came off about 98% and with a game used bat you could not tell as there is all kinds of dings, dents, and marks on those bats. I believe the part that did not remove was the ink that had gone real deep into the wood grain. Overall, you could not tell that there had been a signature on the bat in the first place after this process!.

camarokids
01-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi there DC, I tried successfully to remove silver ink from 5 different plastics. A milk jug , a gatorade bottle , a prescription bottle , the plastic desk top on my 2 year old sons little desk and a large plastic tote . On all 5 items the writing came off with out having to use an eraser . I just used a paper towel and the olive oil . Granted the ink was on there for just over an hour. They all came off with almost little effort . The hardest was the RX bottle . I tried to find hard plastic like a helmet. Hope this helps you on your endeavor:):):):):):):)......

icollectDCsports
01-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Camaro: Seems like you found a natural solvent to remove gold Sharpie. Pretty cool. Thanks for the experimentation on the other stuff. Good to know. :)

cjw
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
No exactly on point with this discussion but, I have removed black sharpie from glossy photographs with a dab of nail polish remover and a soft cotton ball. I had a team signed Blue Jays photo and one player had spelled my name incorrectly...so I removed only my name....It worked perfectly.

mlrtme17
01-25-2007, 12:25 AM
About 10 years ago I talked McGwire into signing a bat for me. He finally gave in but insisted on personalizing it to myself. He signed it in black sharpie ( I wanted blue, but what can you do?) and it's one hell of an autograph, but I personally don't like personalized things. A coulple of weeks ago I finally pursued removing the personalization. I used Goo-Gone with cotton swabs, and it worked GREAT! I think I got 98% of it off. I couldn't get the part that blead into the grain but it's really not noticeable unless you are really looking.

Ryan

redoctober
09-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Any experiences with blue sharpie being removed from a finished blonde GU bat??

tigerdale
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I removed a silver sharpie signature from a black 'A bat' with finger nail polish & it worked great.

cigarman44
09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread on it, has anyone removed a sig from a glove? It is black leather with silver sharpie sig. It was kinda smeared in shipping and I am thinking about removing it all together. Can it be done without any leather discoloration? Thanks in advance.

Vintagedeputy
09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a Cooperstown Bat Co. bat with the Atlanta Braves logo that is signed by numerous Braves HOF's as well as Andrew Jones and Randall Simon. I may keep AJ on there but I'd like to remove Simon....anyone try any of the methods mentioned on those bats with that glossy finish to them?

camarokids
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread on it, has anyone removed a sig from a glove? It is black leather with silver sharpie sig. It was kinda smeared in shipping and I am thinking about removing it all together. Can it be done without any leather discoloration? Thanks in advance.

I used virgin olive oil with a soft rag to remove a silver pen signature from a Wilson A2000 glove. It worked perfectly..... Could not tell it was ever there.

On another glove the sig smeared some , so I used the same method to remove the smearing only. Worked great and it did not mess up the rest of the signature.....

r_phelps
09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
any help with a natural maple bat with black sharpie? olive oil removed some and eraser is just not doing anything

AWA85
02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Time to refresh a classic thread.

Think the old olive oil trick would work on a natural color bat like this one? I would like to remove the signature all together.

mlupo
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I hear Mr.Clean Magic Eraser will do the trick. I have never tried it myself on a bat(I live signed bats myself), but it did get sharpie marker off of my front door without damaging the paint. I would try this first, no risk of olive oil changing the finish of the bat.

shaunharr
02-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I have erased blue sharpie from a blonde ash D BAT. Came off fine. Used Peroxide

RRexpressfan94
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
for that bat, use the highest % rubbing alcohol you can find. that and a paper towel should do it. I use 90%. if it is not a natural color bat, use a lower % or the color may rub off or fade a little.

Klattsy
01-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Going to try and remove the signature from this helmet:
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/Klattsy/Aussie%20Game%20Used/IMAG0180.jpg
Only problem is that it is over 10 years old. Helmet is from 2002. What would be the best method? I was hoping the olive oil might still work...do you leave it on there for a bit to soak in, or just on and off?
Otherwise I have nail polish remove, but don't have any of the products you guys mention on here (down in Australia!). The only other thing I have with an alcohol content (apart from alcohol) is methylated spirits...

csu398
01-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Nail polish remove might contain acetone which will damage the surface of your helmet. I'd recommend isopropanol or ethanol (alcohol).

Going to try and remove the signature from this helmet:

Only problem is that it is over 10 years old. Helmet is from 2002. What would be the best method? I was hoping the olive oil might still work...do you leave it on there for a bit to soak in, or just on and off?
Otherwise I have nail polish remove, but don't have any of the products you guys mention on here (down in Australia!). The only other thing I have with an alcohol content (apart from alcohol) is methylated spirits...

3arod13
01-10-2012, 04:24 AM
This works great!

Klattsy
01-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Nail polish remove might contain acetone which will damage the surface of your helmet. I'd recommend isopropanol or ethanol (alcohol).

Thanks mate, looking at the MDS of the product Tony recommends it contains: Mineral Spirits, Xylol (Xylene) and Ethyl Benzene.

Two similar products we have here are:
Methylated Spirits (Ethanol + Water) http://www.recochem.com.au/files/downloads/Methylated_Spirits_Sep11.pdf
Mineral Turpintine (Low Aromatic White Spirit - w/<1% Benzene) http://www.recochem.com.au/files/downloads/Mineral_Turpentine_Low_Odour_Sep11.pdf

I think I can also get high strength (95%+) isopropyl alcohol from our chemists (a lot of the CPU builders use it to clean the chips).

Which do you think would be better? I have some Metho at home and am tempted to try it tonight, but i'd rather do it right, do it once then try a heap of different options...

There is still the olive oil test as well :)

Mark.

csu398
01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
In general, most organic solvents can do the work. The only concern is which ones don't leave irreversible damage to your item. No matter what you try, make sure that you apply small amount of the solvent on similar materials (or your helmet directly) to see if it leaves any mark. Ethanol, isopropyl alcohol, olive oil all sound pretty safe to me. Never used the product Tony recommended, but seems like he had some good experience with it.

Thanks mate, looking at the MDS of the product Tony recommends it contains: Mineral Spirits, Xylol (Xylene) and Ethyl Benzene.

Two similar products we have here are:
Methylated Spirits (Ethanol + Water) http://www.recochem.com.au/files/downloads/Methylated_Spirits_Sep11.pdf
Mineral Turpintine (Low Aromatic White Spirit - w/<1% Benzene) http://www.recochem.com.au/files/downloads/Mineral_Turpentine_Low_Odour_Sep11.pdf

I think I can also get high strength (95%+) isopropyl alcohol from our chemists (a lot of the CPU builders use it to clean the chips).

Which do you think would be better? I have some Metho at home and am tempted to try it tonight, but i'd rather do it right, do it once then try a heap of different options...

There is still the olive oil test as well :)

Mark.

Klattsy
01-14-2012, 04:31 PM
OK, unbelievably, olive oil works!

The sig was from 2002 and it still came off with oil on the end of an ear bud. You cannot see it at all.

We tried it first thinking it would do the least harm if it didn't happen to work, but low and behold...

mrjohnmalton
03-29-2016, 01:33 PM
I hate to be the "thread resurrection guy" but I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a simple question. When using olive oil to remove a silver or gold signature from a black bat, does it also remove ball marks etc at all? I have a bat that is just hammered with game use, but the quality of the signature on it leaves much to be desired. I want to be sure that removing the signature will not have any effect on the game used characteristics of the bat.

Juicyfruit66
03-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Olive oil will remove autographs from bats. I removed a vlad guerrero I thought was a fake but wasn't :( worked like a charm :(

metsbats
03-29-2016, 09:04 PM
I hate to be the "thread resurrection guy" but I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a simple question. When using olive oil to remove a silver or gold signature from a black bat, does it also remove ball marks etc at all? I have a bat that is just hammered with game use, but the quality of the signature on it leaves much to be desired. I want to be sure that removing the signature will not have any effect on the game used characteristics of the bat.

Never be sorry about reviving an old thread. Glad to see some of our members know how to use the search function!

metsbats
03-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Would olive oil stain a natural colored bat? I would think you can get a way using olive oil only on a lacquered bat.