PDA

View Full Version : Hartel Sports - Contacting them?

Sincityson
01-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I know this was brought up a while back, however I though I would ask again.. Has anyone had an success at contact Hartel Sports? I did call one of the gentlemen there a few months ago & he was quite helpful.

Has anyone had any emails answered lately? I sent 2 over the past month & no response.. Since that's the case, if you order on their website (via credit card) is their service fast, or lengthy in time? My concern is that it may go the same route as the returning of emails (I hope not thought)..

Or would a better approach be to send a money order? Anyone have some thoughts?

Sc

Sincityson
01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Forgot to mention, how updated is that list of items they have on their site?

By the way, I was typing fast in my initial message, please ignore the spelling errors:)

Sc

sarahsdad
01-19-2007, 06:21 PM
The list is old. Communication is spotty at best. Replies to email are non existant. When you are able to contact them they are helpful. patience is the key. A lot of patience
howardperch@hotmail.com

kingjammy24
01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
their website hasn't been updated since babe ruth left the orphanage.

while their prices are fantastic, i found dealing with them to be a poor experience. unhelpful to say the least. bruce takes brevity to new levels. his emails made me think that his ISP charges him per each word typed. i'm sure others will disagree, but i don't have the patience to deal with them. i'd rather spend more and get some decent service.

if your emails went unanswered for 2 months, then how can you have faith in mailing a money order? you can't even confirm the address! it'd be like sending it to a black hole and praying it all works out.

i've really tired of the amateurish service offered by some in this hobby.

at any rate, 3 emails later and going on to my third month, i'm still waiting for jersey photos from scott welkowsky. here's hoping i get them before they wheel me into a retirement home.

rudy.

Sincityson
01-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info... I'm a bit apprehensive about dropping a payment via credit card, however I suppose I'll attempt to call again at some point.. He'd probably move alot more if the customer service was a bit more organized.

sC

topekabob
01-20-2007, 01:02 AM
I have ordered items for years off the website via credit card and had no problem. Hartel is wonderful for the collector who doesn't have big bucks but is going for certain styles. I got all three versions of the Brewers late 90's jerseys from them for great prices and home and away 97 Astros jerseys in the same way. They still have those styles available and some classic 90's Pirates jerseys as well.

Sincityson
01-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I have ordered items for years off the website via credit card and had no problem.

Good to know! Did you do any recently in the past 1-2 months or so? Since the list is no updated, I'm not even sure if the jerseys i was interested in are even available. I still thinkin of giving it a shot..

G1X
01-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Hartel Sports has been around for 30 years and is one of the most honest and honorable dealers in the hobby. Floyd Hartel founded the business with his son, Bruce, in 1977 and have offered some great values over the years. Floyd passed away about 10 years ago, and Bruce and Mike Armstrong are currently running the business.

One thing to keep in mind is that Bruce and Mike have "Daytime Jobs". Bruce runs several businesses in the town of Steeleville, Illinois, and Mike serves as the Mayor in addition to helping run one of those businesses.

I never have any problems getting in touch with Bruce or Mike via the telephone, and I always find them to be very helpful when asking questions. If any of you are having difficulties, be patient as their nice selection and great prices will enhance your collection and keep a few extra bills in the back pocket.

As a 32-year veteran in this hobby, I highly recommend Hartel Sports.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

topekabob
01-20-2007, 11:34 PM
I haven't contacted them in the last few months but have in the last six months and had no problems. Usually I order on-line and if they don't have the jersey in stock they would email me and not charge the card. I'd email back and get a different jersey. One time, years ago, they sent me the wrong Cincy Reds jersey. I called and they sent me the right one and told me to keep the wrong one because they messed up.
I also got my home and away 1997 Expos jerseys from them, both game worn and each for $75.

Sincityson
01-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll attempt ordering a couple items then, I liked some of the Cardinal jerseys they had, plus their hockey selection was half decent, assuming they are still there..

Sincityson
01-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Forgot to ask, do the items they sell come with any sort of authentication statement? Also, for theie jerseys, from the website there's no indication wether they are game used, or game ready (un used).. Is there also any indication of that upon purchase?

G1X
01-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I am not sure if they provide COAs as I never ask for them. What works for me when making a purchase from Hartel Sports (or anyone else, for that matter) is to ask them to pull the jersey and describe any signs of game use to me over the phone. Mike and Bruce are good at going over a jersey and describing the wear. A good description often reveals a lot more than photos when it comes to game use, small repairs, etc. that often don't show up real well in photos.

Hartel Sports usually sets up at The National each year (Cleveland this summer). It is time well spent to roam through their booth for a couple of hours. Not only do you get the chance to observe a lot of various uniforms, it is also an opportunity to chat with Bruce and Mike and get to know them and their operation. Very nice and talkative fellows, and there are deals to be had.

Hope this helps!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

flaco1801
01-21-2007, 02:19 PM
hartel sports are the best. here is some unsolicited advice. try buying a common game worn jersey from them and actually wearing them outdoors, you might enjoy it more than buying a superstar jersey. you wont need a letter of authenticy, you wont get ripped off. and you wont be one of hundreds to own a game worn jersey of the next and current superstar. have fun, this is a hobby guys (and girls). wear em and wash em. Jeff

topekabob
01-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Flaco, I'm right there with you. Hartel is perfect for how I collect. I look for cool jersey styles in a size (unfortunately, a 50!) that I can wear. The more obscure the player, the better. The stranger the circumstances, the better (often the players I get wore the jersey in spring training, then were cut/traded/disappeared and you find out from baseballcube.com that the ended up with the Shamburg Flyers in the Northern League; when you're looking for a jersey under $75 in a size 50 or larger, that's usually the case). So I have a great game worn jersey all star team of Bob Milacki, Bob Scanlan, Rich Aude, Will Cunnane, Jamie Navarro and Shayne Bennett.

flaco1801
01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
hey bob i have a bob milacki shirt also, a 95 astros bp with a patch. i dont really care that biggio didnt wear it, i wear it, lol. im sure a lot of "collectors" are staring at "game worn jerseys" of their heroes which really havent been worn by a soul. it took me some time to realize who milacki was, he wasnt on the roster. i have a few others i havent pinned down yet, but when i have time i do some research. its all fun. cheers, jeff

topekabob
01-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Jeff - Go to http://editorial.gettyimages.com/ms_gins/source/home/home.aspx?pg=1

and in the search box put in Milacki Astros and photos of Big Bob (and I mean Big!) come up in spring training wearing his Astros gear. I've found lots of "no names" who got their picture taken in spring training and then didn't go to the bigs on the getty images this way.

flaco1801
01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
thanks bob never knew how to do that. all my shirts are common guys ill have some fun on a rainy day, maybe ill be able to photo match them and be rich lol have fun, maybe ill pull out an oldie today thanks, Jeff