PDA

View Full Version : A positive experience

aallanson
09-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Too often this board gets filled with stories of negative experiences. I wanted to post about something positive.

A while back there was a user on this board that posted under the username mlbforeverhomer. He was banned long before I ever got here. He has since returned under a different username (ocab87). This is information I shared on a previous post, so I am not "outing" him here. I was unaware of this information when I agreed to purchase a jersey from him outside of the forum for an amount that exceeds the $500 max. Immediately after paying for the jersey, my spider senses began to tingle. Something didn't seem right. So I googled his name and did a forum search, and lo and behold I found his previous incarnation and read about some of his past indiscretions. I feared the worst. I overreacted and opened a case with PayPal. I was nervous because this transaction was for a lot of money. Everything the seller said seemed to not be true. Initially something came up and he couldn't ship when he said he could. When I confronted him with the fact that I knew about his old board incarnation he refused to acknowledge it. He referred to himself by a different name in our email exchanges. Even the tracking number he sent me couldn't be found in the usps system until at least 12 hours had passed. I was really nervous I was going to get screwed over. ...

Fast forward to this afternoon and my jersey arrived. He even fronted the shipping costs ($47.50) to ship it overnight to me. All my worst fears didn't come true. when all was said and done, I purchased a jersey, he shipped a jersey, and it arrived safely. Not a big deal to some. But to me, it's everything.
He went out of his way to sell a jersey to me that he didn't have to. I really wish that I hadn't overreacted and gone to Defcon 4. I think, all in all, this whole thing says more about me and my shortcomings as a buyer (unreasonable expectations, including expecting the worst) then it does for him as a seller.
If I didn't know any of this stuff about this particular seller's past and if I didn't let his past prejudice me during this transaction, then truth be told this would have been an altogether pleasurable experience. So Clay, for my shortcomings, I apologize to you. Keep up the good work and eventually there will be less people like me judging you only on your past, and more judging you on your present.