PDA

View Full Version : Athletes that could end your fandom if they cheated?

gingi79
09-27-2015, 02:16 AM
We sadly live in an age where seemingly every sport is full of cheaters, thugs and criminals. However, there are still some guys who play the game right and yet still excel. In your opinion, which player from each of the major sports would most devastate their league and fanbase if they were found guilty of steroids/ cheating/ etc?

My list:

MLB Mike Trout
NFL: JJ Watt
NBA: Steph Curry
NHL: Steve Stamkos
NASCAR: Dale Jr.

Opinions?

danesei@yahoo.com
09-27-2015, 05:33 AM
We sadly live in an age where seemingly every sport is full of cheaters, thugs and criminals. However, there are still some guys who play the game right and yet still excel. In your opinion, which player from each of the major sports would most devastate their league and fanbase if they were found guilty of steroids/ cheating/ etc?

My list:

MLB Mike Trout
NFL: JJ Watt
NBA: Steph Curry
NHL: Steve Stamkos
NASCAR: Dale Jr.

Opinions?

If you consider using steroids to be cheating, I'd say at least two of the players on that list already have cheated in the past.

ndevlin
09-27-2015, 08:59 AM
If you consider using steroids to be cheating, I'd say at least two of the players on that list already have cheated in the past.

Which 2 out of that list do you think took steroids?

Bondsgloves
09-27-2015, 11:57 AM

I agree

godwulf
09-29-2015, 12:30 PM
After witnessing the support, even adulation, heaped on people like Ryan Braun, A-Rod and Bonds, AFTER their actions caught up with them, I'm really pretty cynical about fan bases being "devastated". As for the league, isn't A-Rod the only one of the three I just mentioned who has received any punishment at all? Tells you something.

danesei@yahoo.com
09-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Am I allowed to state that without it being considered a defamatory comment until such time as they admit use sometime in their 50s, when they possibly have cancer?

danesei@yahoo.com
09-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Oh, and FWIW, I actually think three players on the OP's list took some form of steroid. In some cases, it might turn out like Andro for MLB, where players would all say "Oh, I'm only taking Andro. I'm no cheater." Until it was revealed that Andro was a steroid, then they claimed they were clean... a la Mike Piazza.

jeriley23
10-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Tom Brady... Oops. No really russell Wilson

coxfan
10-10-2015, 10:15 AM
There are different degrees of cheating. Those who have used PED's and then been caught lying about it are likely to experience much more censure ( eg forgetting about the Hall of Fame) than those who cheated but didn't lie publicly.

A few athletes have said "If you're not cheating, you're not trying." That point was echoed by a famous female athlete whom I won't name. But an intelligent person realizes that if you cheat to win, you haven't actually won. You've created the illusion of winning, but that's not the same thing as actually winning; there's no real sense of accomplishment.

sox83cubs84
10-10-2015, 04:13 PM
There are different degrees of cheating. Those who have used PED's and then been caught lying about it are likely to experience much more censure ( eg forgetting about the Hall of Fame) than those who cheated but didn't lie publicly.

Agreed. Both Jason Giambi and Andy Pettitte, users who admitted their use without needing to be prodded by a court case or Congress, seem to be faring better in the court of public opinion than A-Roid, Raffy Roids, Big Mac, etc.

Dave Miedema

Bondsgloves
12-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Add 3 more names to the list. I don't think you can say absolutely you believe any one player didn't use.

Documentary Links Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman, Taylor Teagarden To PED Claims

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/documentary-reportedly-links-ryan-howard-ryan-zimmerman-taylor-teagarden-to-ped-claims.html

Roady
12-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Add 3 more names to the list. I don't think you can say absolutely you believe any one player didn't use.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/documentary-reportedly-links-ryan-howard-ryan-zimmerman-taylor-teagarden-to-ped-claims.html
Al Jazeera tells you all you need to know. Why give any credence to a terrorist news site?

dwn1955
12-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Al Jazeera tells you all you need to know. Why give any credence to a terrorist news site?

+1

Chris78
12-28-2015, 04:53 PM

I have already moved on from this report, as I believe it is untrue for the 6 names mentioned that I saw (Peyton Manning, James Harrison, Mike Neal, Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman, Taylor Teagarden). This story reminded me of the Pete Rose rape situation from a few months ago, which I thought was garbage as well.

gorilla777
12-28-2015, 04:55 PM
The story is getting bizarre and lost credibility..

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/former-intern-center-peyton-manning-162630062.html;_ylt=AwrXnCdUr4FWPyMANWbQtDMD;_ylu= X3oDMTBya2cwZmh2BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDBHNlYw Nzcg--