PDA

View Full Version : For sure a team issue but is it a Larry walker?

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 09:17 PM
So I had a Walker Rockies jersey up for sale and someone was asking about whether or not the buttons had Colorado Rockies inscribed in them. My radar went off because I knew Rockies kept neck tags in their early Russell gamers and team issued jerseys. Sure enough my buttons are kind of beige and all say Colorado Rockies. Now that I've established it's a team jersey can someone help me as to whether it could be an actual Larry Walker? Like does the lettering and numbering look good for that period?

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Button

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Close

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Back

TG19
10-14-2015, 09:36 PM
that's not even a team issued jersey...It's a retail Jersey!

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 09:47 PM
If you are saying it's retail due to neck tag, I'm pretty sure the Rockies kept their Russell neck tags on and used buttons to signify team issue. There's a thread in here talking about the whole special button thing.

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Here's the post about buttons Speaking of the Rockies - and a VERY interesting point here - ALL Rockies Home White Russell jerseys (Regular or ALT) have unique buttons. Instead of the standard 'pearlescent white', the buttons are Cream colored with Colorado Rockies embossed around the edge.

Does anyone know if any other team did this with their jerseys? As far as I have ever been able to tell, this button thing is unique to the Rockies.

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 10:03 PM
One other thing I can tell you - being both your jerseys are home whites and with pro tagging - if you haven't noticed, look at the buttons. They should be CREAM colored and stamped "Colorado Rockies" around them like this:

These buttons were specially created for the Rockies Home White jeresys and NOT available on retail. As far as I know, The Rockies are unique and the ONLY team to ever do this to try to help deter forgeries of GU jerseys.

Unfortunately, they only did it on their Home White - not grey, not purple,not black - those all have pearlized buttons color matched. Also - and the Rockies have admitted this and issued GU jersey w/ Rockies LOAs that are this way - up until about 5 years ago, the Rockies had a history of short ordering their jerseys and if one got ruined or given to charity or whatever, they would send a clubbie up to the Dry Goods store, get a Retail Authentic done up, have the player wear it for the game and then sell it later as GU - which it is - but it is not a Club House Authentic.

Phil316
10-14-2015, 10:51 PM
that's not even a team issued jersey...It's a retail Jersey!

I agree.

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 11:02 PM
But what about the buttons ? It has the team issue buttons on it ..

Phil316
10-14-2015, 11:09 PM
I can only speak from experience as I have not seen rockies gamers with a neck tag.

Also I know Walker wore a 48 and 50 with Colorado. With customizations.

One more thing the R in Walker should not have material between the middle. Something I have not seen before.

Juicyfruit66
10-14-2015, 11:55 PM
I'd read in this forum something about the Rockies being the only team to keep neck tags on early Russell jerseys so I thought maybe that would explain team issue buttons on a retail jersey...I suspect the name was added to a team issue as I'm pretty sure gamers don't have the thick lettering like this, but was hoping a Rockies expert could advise.

slab0meat
10-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Didn't some Blue Jays jerseys have the neck tags as well? I'm pretty sure one of mine does.

Phil316
10-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes they did. If I remember it was a couple years with Wilson as the supplier.

Juicyfruit66
10-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah I was always under the impression every single Russell that had a neck tag was retail until I read about the Rockies odd way of handling things. Any Rockies jersey experts out there?

sox83cubs84
10-15-2015, 01:48 PM
While I'm not specifically giving a yea or nay on this Walker jersey, I do know that in 1993, a large number of Rockies team-issued jerseys with retail-style collar tags did see use. The fancy buttons were a part of the mix. Ball Park Heroes got a lot of these from the Rockies in a mid-1990s bulk buy. However, the BPH items (retail or pro tagging) came with team-issued LOAs. I'll try to research the jersey specs themselves in a few hours and post my findings.

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
10-15-2015, 02:03 PM
While I'm not specifically giving a yea or nay on this Walker jersey, I do know that in 1993, a large number of Rockies team-issued jerseys with retail-style collar tags did see use. The fancy buttons were a part of the mix. Ball Park Heroes got a lot of these from the Rockies in a mid-1990s bulk buy. However, the BPH items (retail or pro tagging) came with team-issued LOAs. I'll try to research the jersey specs themselves in a few hours and post my findings.

Dave Miedema

I just had a thought on my way to checking photos, and the photo confirmed my concerns. IF this is a 1993 gamer, where is the Inaugural Season patch (right sleeve)?

Dave M.

danesei@yahoo.com
10-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Consensus seems to lean toward retail, but I figured maybe this can be established logically.

Walker joined Rockies in 1995.
Rockies stopped using that jersey style in 1999.

1999 - Columbine High School patch & WALKER in different material than shown
1998 - Coors Field ASG patch & WALKER in different material than shown
1997 - Jackie Robinson patch & WALKER in different material than shown
1996/1995 - ROCKIES & WALKER in different material than shown
1995 & 1997 - Team issued jerseys had year. I think probably 1998-1999 also.

If the ROCKIES patchwork wasn't different, there'd be an outside chance it was a 1996 jersey, however all signs point to retail jersey.

Juicyfruit66
10-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Now this is what I'm talking about! Thread started out slow but I think you guys have Sherlock Holmed an answer...I wish it was better news though, owning a walker would have been pretty neat. Did we ever figure out if the lettering on back was team style? Lastly, if it's a retail with team buttons is it worth more than a regular retail jersey with regular buttons? Like could it be a team issue jersey that never made it to the team and someone just customized it? Kind of like any other blank team issue that never got issued? Dennis

slab0meat
10-16-2015, 01:42 PM
I saw one yesterday, I think it was a 1997 or so used home jersey, and the back looked like night and day different.

Phil316
10-16-2015, 07:18 PM
Consensus seems to lean toward retail, but I figured maybe this can be established logically.

Walker joined Rockies in 1995.
Rockies stopped using that jersey style in 1999.

1999 - Columbine High School patch & WALKER in different material than shown
1998 - Coors Field ASG patch & WALKER in different material than shown
1997 - Jackie Robinson patch & WALKER in different material than shown
1996/1995 - ROCKIES & WALKER in different material than shown
1995 & 1997 - Team issued jerseys had year. I think probably 1998-1999 also.

If the ROCKIES patchwork wasn't different, there'd be an outside chance it was a 1996 jersey, however all signs point to retail jersey.

:) thanks