PDA

View Full Version : Retaliatory Feedback on Ebay

darylv1
01-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Just wanted to see how many forum members have had issues with people leaving retaliatory feedback on ebay.

A buyer never paid for an item he won from me on ebay. I was patient for over a month, but I started getting all kinds of various excuses. I asked him time and time again for payment, but it was never sent out so I left negative feedback that simply said that the buyer didn't pay for the item he won. I didn't write any other nonsense, just that he didn't pay.

I checked this morning and - lo and behold - I have been left negative feedback too. The buyer stated "says it's game used in title & then claims he never stated that, so he left neg4nopay".

First off, anyone that would bid $300 on an item without reading it's description, is clearly an idiot. I believe I mentioned in my description 3 times that I could not prove it was worn by Mike Schmidt, although it was possible. If I could have proved it, I would have wanted well more than $300 for the jacket.

Also, a month after winning the item, he questioned my ability to PROVE the autograph was authentic. Sorry - I didn't have my DNA kit, but anyone that knows Mike Schmidt autographs should know immediately that this is real.

My purpose of this post is for 2 reasons. Has anyone had luck getting retaliatory feedback removed?

3arod13
01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Just wanted to see how many forum members have had issues with people leaving retaliatory feedback on ebay."

This is one area I wish ebay would put some time and effort to fix this issue. It is very unfair to those buyers and sellers who are conducting fair and honest business, and because of the other parties wrongdoings, are left retaliatory feedback. In many cases, people don't leave negative feedback when it's well deserved just because they don't want the negative feedback. With the money ebay charges and makes from ebay users, I would think they could to a better job to protect the reputations of all honest people. Just my thoughts.

brianborsch
01-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Ebay would remove it. But the only way is if you DID NOT say it was game used anywhere in your auction (title, subtitle, description) so that there is no way a buyer can be misled.

This is because in his negative feedback that is the issue. If you can show ebay that the negative feedback was left for actually no reason, or for a reason where the seller is not at fault, then they will remove feedback.

This policy may have changed, but I had this happen awhile back and it got done.

At the very least, you can leave a response on your feedback backing up your side of the story. That will attach to the negative post so that when someone reads it they will see that there may be more than meets the eye. Anyways, good luck!

allstarsplus
01-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Darylv1 - Here are 3 links to help you with the eBay feedback. Good luck and let us know what happens. Andrew

1. Reply to feedback received:
Share your side of the story by responding to any comment that has been left for you. Your response will be shown directly below the comment left by the other eBay member. Reply to feedback you have received (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?PersonalizedFeedbackLogin).

3. Mutual Feedback Withdrawal:
If both you and your trading partner are able to resolve a problem after feedback has been left, you can mutually agree to withdraw the feedback rating. The feedback comment will still appear in your member profile, but it will no longer count in your feedback score. Both members must agree, and feedback left by both parties will be withdrawn at the same time. Start mutual feedback withdrawal (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MFWRequest) for a transaction now.

5. Feedback removal:
eBay will remove individual feedback comments only in very exceptional circumstances, when they violate specific policies. Some situations where eBay will remove feedback include: Feedback left by a user who is indefinitely suspended within 90 days of registration, feedback containing vulgar language or personal contact information, and instances when eBay receives a valid court order to remove feedback. See a list of situations where eBay will consider removing feedback (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html), and how you can file for removal (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html).

cards-bats
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I just ran into the same problem. My ebay i.d. is cards-bat if you want to check it out.

I've got a total 2 neg feedbacks. 1 as seller, one as buyer. On the sell side, I had a guy that wanted tickets I was selling to a football game. I stated in the auction that I would take Paypal & FedEx tickets that night because the game was on Sat and the auction ended Thur. He wanted to send me a check & have me FedEx out without payment. There was no way I was going to do that (0 feedback on him) and he dropped neg. feedback when I refused.

This weekend I left neg feedback for a guy that I sent cash to for a bat. I admit that it took me 2 weeks to send $$$, but I sent cash so as not to delay any longer. The guy files a no payment complaint against me well after he got the $$$, so I filed a complaint that I didn't receive the item. He then drops the complaint, says that he got the $$$. It has been 3 months without anything from the guy in return. He would send me e-mail stating that he would be sending it and to let him know whe I received. That was over a month ago - he won't respond other than to write "donkey & liar" back.

I dropped neg feedback this weekend and he dropped it right back. What does the guy expect? Once again I'm a liar & a donkey in my feedback.

I'm now in the process of filling out 3 pages to file a mail fraud complaint. He gets to keep the bat, my money, and I get negative feedback. Dosen't seem fair to me.

cohibasmoker
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Daryl,

Sorry to hear about your recent feedback issues. I've been there and believe me, eBay does not want to get involved.

It always amazes me that there are people (stiffs) out there that do not take responsibility for their own actions and find it easier to blame others.

Jim Papaycik

geoff
01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I had this problem 1 time but it was for a wrestling related item.Also i only do paypal as a buyer or seller so that im protected that way.

bscott
01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
i recall your ebay listing for the green mike schmidt signed jacket.

i am writing to support that you wrote a fair and accurate description of the item. it looks like the buyer changed his mind or didn't have the money.

it just sucks when people leave unwarranted negative feedback on ebay, and that appears to be the case here.

the silver lining: unfortunately, this experience happens to most every ebay seller sooner or later, and hopefully other potential customers can see where the fault lies in a singular transaction gone awry by scanning feedback. i certainly don't expect a seller to have perfect feedback. crap happens. i think it's possible to determine who is most likely telling the truth in a he said/she said ebay dispute by examining all the available information on a seller: from the number of items sold, to types of items sold and for sale, to feedback left and received.

so don't worry too much, keep being fair and it'll all come back to you.

that said, try to take your case to ebay and see if you can have the feedback removed. it doesn't appear warranted.

best of luck in the future.

-b.scott.

both-teams-played-hard
01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Do buyers avoid eBay auctions from sellers with negative feedback?
Even if you really want the item, and its a good price?

Even if it is a small percentage. And the negatives look undeserved? Or the negatives are from high-maintanence customers. The customer who thinks a "used" or "worn" piece of clothing (jersey) from the 70s should look factory-fresh.

10thMan
01-22-2007, 05:34 PM
From 700+ Transactions, I have ONE negative Feedback. I bought a graded card, sent the money order & the Money Order came back LABELED, UNDELIVERABLE ADDRESS.

I e-mailed the Seller (right away) & tried to re-buy the Item, he Immediately re-listed it. He told me I never sent the Money. I left negative Feedback, & he responded w/ the same.

simply put, leave negative feedback & they respond. I ran a bunch of auctions, last fall, & about half of them Flaked...No pay, VERY late without discussion etc...

Ebay gets their money up front, from sellers...they dont play. Next time someone thinks about bidding on something, remember...the Seller probably already paid...

I agree, plenty of Flakes out there...just the way it is.
Sean

darylv1
01-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Checked my feedback this morning and found this:

Rating Withdrawn by eBay: Buyer didn't respond to the Unpaid Item notification for this transaction.
They took the negative feedback away because the buyer never responded to the Unpaid Item claim that I filed.

Daryl

RobSteinmetz
01-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Good topic, but I deleted an exchange between the buyer and seller of the Schmidt jacket in an effort to prevent the topic from going south. The deleted posts were were accusatory and argumentative in nature, and should be addressed privately.

darylv1
01-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Rob,
Out of curiosity, why can't a non-paying buyer's name be revealed?
Daryl

RobSteinmetz
01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Daryl,

In some cases, I don't have a problem with revealing a non-paying bidder's eBay username, but your exchange with the buyer were "he said/she said" in nature took away from the overall theme of this thread. Because the person you named made a retaliatory post that was deleted, I really had no choice but to remove their name (from your original post). In short, I felt as though I could not delete that portion of this thread without removing his name from that initial post as well. Again, I felt as though this exchange was not appropriate for the forum. This was a judgement call on my part. If you have further questions, feel free to email me.

ChrisCavalier
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am aware that Rob deleted a few more posts subsequent to his post above. I wanted to say I agree with the deletion of the additional posts as well as the reasoning he has provided.

Please note that this forum is intended to benefit the hobby with information that can help the collecting community. It does not exist to hash out personal disagreements publicly. We appreciate every one's cooperation in recognizing the difference between providing useful information to the community and matters of differing opinions that should be handled in private.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier