PDA

View Full Version : Misidentified game used caps on MEARS

danesei@yahoo.com
10-25-2015, 07:24 PM
I recently consigned three items to MEARS, in response to Troy's email blast of a WS auction, which I thought was a cool idea.

In any event, all three of the items were misidentified by MEARS, and I wonder if that hurts or helps the marketability.

Lot 375: NL ASG signed ball from HR Derby

I provided a full list of all the signatures to MEARS, with the expectation that this could help JSA verify the list. The ball has been signed by HOFer Chipper Jones, potential future HOFers Mike Piazza & Vladimir Guerrero, and twice (coincidentally) by my favourite player, and Canadian Baseball HOFer Larry Walker.

MEARS opted to name Chipper Jones and Larry Walker in the title.

Loy 287: Greg Maddux game used home cap from 2005

This one is a very technical dating issue, as it's the only year that New Era had the flag tag without the "MADE IN USA" logo. Given the tagging started after the 2004 season, it's impossible to be a 2004 cap. MEARS listed it as c.2004.

Lot 286: Al Leiter game used Spring Training cap from 2002

MEARS opted to list the cap as c.2002-2004. This is a one year only cap issue, due to the combination of tagging and mesh material.

I think, in the case of the ball, not listing Piazza & Guerrero definitely hurts the value of the ball, but in the case of the caps, I'm not as sure.

Anyway, Troy had emailed me this morning (10 hours ago) that this would be fixed, but as of 7:43pm CDT, all three listings are still incorrect.

I realize I should just have sent the caps to Goldin for the 2016 Opening Day auction, and I think I'm going to send all future consignments there, but I just thought others might want to hear about experiences with auction houses/sites other than Goldin.

ndevlin
10-25-2015, 08:47 PM
I think, if you really really wanted to, you can have them pull all of them for a fee.

danesei@yahoo.com
10-26-2015, 07:15 PM
I think, if you really really wanted to, you can have them pull all of them for a fee.

Yeah, it's 25% of the appraised value, I think. Troy contacted me and fixed the listings, so I'm fine with them keeping it up.

danesei@yahoo.com
10-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it's 25% of the appraised value, I think. Troy contacted me and fixed the listings, so I'm fine with them keeping it up.

To clarify, Troy actually offered to allow me to get the items back without the 25% fee, which was very generous on his part.