PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones Bat in Goldin Auction

wjyoung1575
11-12-2015, 12:43 PM
This bat is listed as a 2009 issued batting practice bat with a letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA: https://goldinauctions.com/2009_Chipper_Jones_Batting_Practice_Used_and_Signe-LOT18523.aspx#.

My knowledge of Louisville Slugger labeling is limited, but this bat does not look like a 2009 issued Louisville Slugger. From the center barrel brand to the "Louisville Slugger" written underneath Chipper's name instead of "Atlanta Braves", which you would expect on a 2000's LVS. Also, why does the LOA list the bat as a model P320M when the model on the barrel is R161?

As a Chipper Jones collector I know that by 2009 he used almost exclusively (if not 100% exclusively) black and blonde Rawlings Big Sticks. He did however use Louisville Sluggers in his early career. Which to me is exactly what this bat looks like (I've attached a couple of screenshots below from 1993 and 1994 baseball cards).

Another red flag with the bat being from 2009 is that the Chipper signature on the barrel looks absolutely nothing like his later career signature. However it does look like his early career signature (~pre 1997).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KGoldin
11-13-2015, 09:23 AM
this has been pulled
spoke to PSA, it is a rookie bat, and a letter error. The worksheet correctly identified the bat.
it will be in next auction properly listed with correct LOA
please be sure to email ME DIRECTLY prior to posting so if errors occur like this they can be fixed, that IS FORUM POLICY
thank you
Ken Goldin
ken@goldinauctions.com

wjyoung1575
11-13-2015, 05:04 PM
I did not know that was a rule. If the admins want to remove this thread that is fine with me. I thought I might have been missing something and was looking for more information/opinions from the community. Thanks for the quick response and I am looking forward to seeing this bat up for bids in the future.

3arod13
11-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I did not know that was a rule. If the admins want to remove this thread that is fine with me. I thought I might have been missing something and was looking for more information/opinions from the community. Thanks for the quick response and I am looking forward to seeing this bat up for bids in the future.

No need to remove it. You did a great job, thanks!

danesei@yahoo.com
11-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Darn it! I was hoping to snipe that bat. :P

Honestly, though, I don't think OP violated policy 16, as the 24 hour thing, it's a recommendation. OP clearly voiced the concerns with the item in question, without trying to bias anything.

While Ken is right that Goldin does a wonderful job of responding to issues, I don't think the OP posted in malice, nor was anyone accused of criminal wrong-doing, so my impression is the post falls within forum guidelines.

16. In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.