PDA

View Full Version : SCP AUCTIONS 1998 Randy Johnson Dodgers jersey

mook03005
11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I was just flipping through the new FALL AUCTION Catalog of SCP and saw this auction of 3 dodgers jerseys of randy Johnson (game issued). I had forgot the dodgers were in the running for him in 1998. Anyhow do a lot of teams tend to create jerseys of potential free agents in anticipation of signing them? even if it doesn't work out? does this type of hype happen a lot with teams wanting to sign AS free agents? Its definitely a cool "what if item"

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/RANDY_JOHNSON_TRIO_OF_1998_LOS_ANGELES_DODGERS_HOM-LOT32995.aspx

sox83cubs84
11-12-2015, 08:57 PM
It's not common, but it does happen. The tagging seems to bear these out as team-produced pieces.

Back in 1976, the local PBS station, WTTW, had their fundraising auction which featured a donation from then-A's owner Charles Finley: a 1976 A's uniform made for Reggie Jackson, but not worn by him due to his relocation to the Orioles.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
11-13-2015, 07:02 PM
In 1975, the Knicks were desperate for a big man. From Sports Illustrated Nov. 1975:

"Still, Burke and General Manager Eddie Donovan got ready to fly to Los Angeles on Friday, Oct. 17 for a meeting with Chamberlain, taking along a Knick uniform—complete with his old number 13—for the benefit of photographers. "We felt confident," said Burke, "but first I wanted to talk to Wilt to see if he really wanted to play as a Knick or just to draw some big money."

They never signed him and for years, that jersey hung in Gerry Cosby's sporting goods, located at Madison Square Garden. I don't know what happened to it, as Cosby's moved and I have not been there in awhile.

mook03005
11-13-2015, 09:11 PM
cool story, I didn't know that about Wilt. I think the whole "what if" factor does it for me and these kind of jerseys.