PDA

View Full Version : Photo Inquiries

skyking26
11-28-2015, 02:18 AM
Wanted to ask people's opinion here for awhile on this subject and wanted to get this off my chest awhile now so will do both.

From time to time I sell something and have people ask for photos of the item; and they ask for many different shots... and they have no intention of buying the item! They don't tell you that initially. Recently I had a guy ask for shots and then say, after I told him the price BEFORE I sent him a single photo - that he didn't have "that kind of money to buy anything like this," and still another guy ask for photos and then say he would never buy the item "without a photomatch...."

Now, of course I tell the price so if its out of your range then why bother asking for photos of something you don't intend to buy? And, does anyone REALLY think there is a photomatch to EVERYTHING out there? I have roughly a 30-40 year collection of 8x10 photos of 1 player and know for certain that even with that - I do not have a photomatch to every jersey, bat, glove, hat or helmet in my collection. It's simply not possible or plausible. In this case however, I DID HAVE a photo of the player holding the item in his hand. I personally bought the item from the player. I sometimes think that even a letter from Jesus Christ himself would not please some people.

I've been involved in this hobby near 40 years now, and just when I think I have seen it all I get surprised. I have no problem taking the time to take any photo of an item you want. Front, back, side etc etc. But if you know it is not fiscally possible then why ask for photos? I do not have a photomatch to every item in my collection. I see photo matches as a bonus. I bought a game used glove off ebay 2 weeks ago and spent a lot of money doing it with NO PHOTOMATCH. 12 days after I bought it I found 2 photomatches from my own photo collection. Kinda made me giddy in a way but I was fine without it.

As my kids would say in a text, "smh." Took me awhile to figure out what that meant but I've done a lot of that lately lol!

mr.miracle
11-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Bob:

All I can say is your absolutely correct on so many levels. The amount of time I waste on these wild goose chases of people kicking tires with zero intention to buy is beyond comprehension.

All you can do is really try to feel people out before hand like it appears you have been doing and try to qualify if these folks are serious or just completely wasting their own time and yours. I wish I had some work around to this issue but sadly I don't.