PDA

View Full Version : Panini Turns Tom Brady's 2013 AFC Championship Jersey Into Jersey Cards

RKO18
12-30-2015, 04:57 PM
LINK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twyig5ioWRA)

whoman
12-30-2015, 07:16 PM
That's just not right. I don't get why these companies ruin museum worthy jerseys and or bats.:mad:

sox83cubs84
12-30-2015, 08:50 PM
That's just not right. I don't get why these companies ruin museum worthy jerseys and or bats.:mad:

It's greed, and a desire to quench the thirst of their own niche of the hobby without resorting to having to affect their niche of the hobby lest they offend their customers. The game used community is far smaller than the card collecting base, so why tick off their own customer base when they can obtain and chop up items that only pisses off a comparitively small segment of the hobby, from which many, if not most participants aren't going to buy much of anything from them, anyway?

Dave Miedema

Cubman15
12-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Interesting video, but it is a shame.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
12-30-2015, 10:36 PM
I really don't mind this kind of thing with modern jerseys etc. because there is enough to go around, but when I see vintage stuff like Ruth/Robinson cut up I find it cringe worthy.

patsfan
12-30-2015, 11:33 PM
at least they use real jerseys now ... I once got a game used card from upper deck and it had a brady and welker piece.The brady was his neck tag with a size 50 ... he wears a 48 ...so I contacted upper deck for an explanation ....they stated after weeks of their own research that he wears a larger size in cold weather so he can wear warm layers under it ....lmao .....not long after that their guarantee went from their guarantee to it being guaranteed by the party they obtain said jersey from

COWBOYS4EVR
12-31-2015, 12:31 AM
I wanted to throw up in the first two minutes of the video.
For that segment they're using real jerseys. But I've noticed a lot of cards from Panini 2013 14 and 15 playbook collection, they put the jersey neck tag in the cards. A lot of them are from store-bought jerseys, because it says made in Honduras on the tag. Gamer tag has no "Made In" anywhere on it.
I still think they're screwing the consumer regardless

paul457
12-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Yeah, it definitely sucks to see that jersey cut up. IMHO Panini did this only to get the buzz out there that they're using real GU jerseys in the cards. And as others have said, that's definitely not the case, given past examples.

I've even seen GU jersey patch cards on eBay with counterfeit jerseys. So while I applaud this video for using a real GU jersey, knowing Panini they're not doing this for every product, or every patch card they make.

mad87man
12-31-2015, 11:49 AM
So disgusting when they do this. Use one from the regular season that doesn't mean anything or a pre season. I really hate when they use old jerseys or one off jerseys for them. It is really the worst. Have some kind of contest where you can win the whole jersey if they wanna give it away.

I don't even know how some current stuff is "worn" since they do the rookie premiere and they call those used as well and they haven't even played a game yet.

COWBOYS4EVR
12-31-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't even know how some current stuff is "worn" since they do the rookie premiere and they call those used as well and they haven't even played a game yet.[/QUOTE]

That's how Panini gets away with their little secret verbiage on the back of the card.
"Event Worn" or "Game Worn Material" or "Official Event" or "Not from any specific game, event, or season."
The ones that make me laugh is when it's a piece of the nameplate or number and it's not even a letter or number on there jersey.

wfl1974
12-31-2015, 02:18 PM
Painful to watch...

jmeekins33
12-31-2015, 03:14 PM
It make me sick that they do this. Really angry. Especially to vintage jerseys that have a much smaller population than modern GU. Regular season stuff is bad enough but playoffs? I don't get it.

I know why they do it, what I don't get is why people spend big money on cards like this. In my opinion, once you chop something up into a thousand little pieces, it ceases to be what it was. You have destroyed it. I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

EA884
12-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Is Panini America and Panini Authentic the same company?

mad87man
12-31-2015, 04:11 PM
yes i believe so its just a different division of the company

gingi79
12-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Full disclosure: I never understood the desire to own a stamp size piece of a jersey or bat that someone claims was from "this jersey" or "that player bat." It reeks of snake oil salesmen and bridges in Brooklyn for sale IMO. Card collectors like to say it makes them available to everyone, but the prices you see on eBay that collectors pay for these things is hardly that of the average fan.

I'm not claiming Panini is defrauding people, merely that I live in reality. UD was caught with fake autos. Major G/W dealers have been busted and jailed. Wordage is done in such a way that there is rarely even the defining statement that a jersey was worn a specific day or game. In fact, I always wonder if it's like NASCAR race winners. Post win, the entire team wears a ball cap from every major sponsor for a photo with the winning car. I feel like these cards are from players who pullover a team shirt for the "winning photo" then they become "player worn".

If common sense played a part in collecting, these cards would be our hobby's crown jewel. If a stamp size piece of a common players jersey is worth $10, surely a photomatched whole version would be worth at least 100x that, no? Hell, we could all retire and live off the equity of our three most valuable pieces!

I always wonder how a philatelist would respond to knowing they could own a 1/10 of an Inverted Jenny. How about a numismatist getting a shot at a piece of a 1893 S Morgan Silver Dollar? I'm betting that the fact it is impossible to really prove they were a part of the rare and valuable whole combined with the fact it's just a small part of a very valuable whole, makes them essentially noncollectable in those hobbies. Just Saying...

sox83cubs84
12-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Full disclosure: I never understood the desire to own a stamp size piece of a jersey or bat that someone claims was from "this jersey" or "that player bat." It reeks of snake oil salesmen and bridges in Brooklyn for sale IMO. Card collectors like to say it makes them available to everyone, but the prices you see on eBay that collectors pay for these things is hardly that of the average fan.

I'm not claiming Panini is defrauding people, merely that I live in reality. UD was caught with fake autos. Major G/W dealers have been busted and jailed. Wordage is done in such a way that there is rarely even the defining statement that a jersey was worn a specific day or game. In fact, I always wonder if it's like NASCAR race winners. Post win, the entire team wears a ball cap from every major sponsor for a photo with the winning car. I feel like these cards are from players who pullover a team shirt for the "winning photo" then they become "player worn".

If common sense played a part in collecting, these cards would be our hobby's crown jewel. If a stamp size piece of a common players jersey is worth $10, surely a photomatched whole version would be worth at least 100x that, no? Hell, we could all retire and live off the equity of our three most valuable pieces!

I always wonder how a philatelist would respond to knowing they could own a 1/10 of an Inverted Jenny. How about a numismatist getting a shot at a piece of a 1893 S Morgan Silver Dollar? I'm betting that the fact it is impossible to really prove they were a part of the rare and valuable whole combined with the fact it's just a small part of a very valuable whole, makes them essentially noncollectable in those hobbies. Just Saying...

How about a card collector owning a tiny piece of a T206 Honus Wagner card? The outcry from the card collecting population would be deafening. Cut up a Wagner Pirates GU jersey, however, and these same collectors would trample each other trying to find one.

Dave Miedema

Jags Fan Dan
12-31-2015, 11:52 PM
How about a card collector owning a tiny piece of a T206 Honus Wagner card? The outcry from the card collecting population would be deafening. Cut up a Wagner Pirates GU jersey, however, and these same collectors would trample each other trying to find one.

Dave Miedema

That's a great idea. It would be pretty simple to mock up a card with a "piece" of a T206. I'd love to see how this card that depicts the destruction of a treasured card would be received on one of the cardboard forums. The irony would be delicious, like a complaint about the complaint box.

Buccaneer Madden
01-01-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm glad I never got into the jersey / bat card craze. While I don't really have a problem with card companies doing it (unless its something very rare they are cutting up) I just don't see the satisfaction of owning a tiny sliver of something. A long time ago I did get an Eddie Murray bat card since he was my favorite player and it was cool for about 10 seconds then it was like 'that's it?" Later one of my friends who was a club house manager for the local AAA baseball team showed me his bat collection and he had an Eddie Murray one that was used by Chris Gwynn and I was able to barter that one off him. Much more satisfying owning the entire thing.

mad87man
01-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm glad I never got into the jersey / bat card craze. While I don't really have a problem with card companies doing it (unless its something very rare they are cutting up) I just don't see the satisfaction of owning a tiny sliver of something. A long time ago I did get an Eddie Murray bat card since he was my favorite player and it was cool for about 10 seconds then it was like 'that's it?" Later one of my friends who was a club house manager for the local AAA baseball team showed me his bat collection and he had an Eddie Murray one that was used by Chris Gwynn and I was able to barter that one off him. Much more satisfying owning the entire thing.
Its funny because i was the same way. I got a Jets jersey swatch and was like oh this is pretty cool. Then i discovered i can get a whole jersey and was like hell yeah this is better. i don't get the whole sliver thing. Yeah its a piece of jersey but its not like you can even tell what part of the jersey it even is.

gorilla777
01-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm amazed at what a lot of these cards end up selling for...

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-01-2016, 03:37 PM
I get the craze to an extent. A sliver of something is way cheaper than a whole jersey. A Rodgers card is like $50 and an entire jersey is the price of a brand new car. So it has value in that sense. im not all about the excitement though. It is just such a tiny piece and I have seen many examples of how shady it is. Lots of questionable cards etc. I would rather have say a role players whole jersey than a questionable patch of a star player

jmeekins33
01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
I recently purchased a photomatched, Meigray sourced, game worn Pau Gasol Lakers jersey. Meanwhile, a Pau Gasol trading card numbered 1/1 featuring a chopped off NBA logo (with zero provenance) is 2.5X to 4X more expensive than my entire certified game worn jersey. Most card collectors have zero problem with this scenario. :D

G1X
01-03-2016, 09:06 AM
One thing we all need to keep in mind is that when it comes to collecting, different things appeal to different people. Just because many of us cringe when seeing game-used jerseys destroyed, a lot of folks who collect cards think that it is a great idea. No one is really right or wrong, it is is just a completely different perspective of what is considered a collectible.

It is often stated in this Forum that once you buy a jersey it is your right to do with it as you please. So if a card company buys a jersey, it is their right to cut it up (and our right to cringe at the thought). Heck, us game-used collectors don't even agree when it comes to preserving our game-used gear. For example, some are horrified when they hear of collectors wearing their game-used jerseys. Some think that it is blasphemy to wash a jersey while others think that it is totally disgusting to have a dirty and smelly jersey in their collection. These differences in collecting philosophies is one of the many things that make the hobby interesting and vibrant. If we all thought the same and collected similar pieces, things would be pretty boring and we would all be fighting over the same items.

I do not collect cards and think that collecting pieces of cardboard with a player's picture and a swath of his jersey attached is strange and very non-appealing to my tastes. On the other hand, many card collectors no doubt think that collecting game-used jerseys is unappealing and strange, not to mention that a number of my friends and family think that I am a bit eccentric in my fascination and ownership of clothing worn by grown men that I do not know. As mentioned by others in this thread, there are many card collectors - a lot more than collect game-used items - that find these pieces of expensive cardboard to be very collectible. The card companies know this and are merely feeding this desire.

Card companies cutting up game-used jerseys used to really bother me, but not so much anymore, especially when it comes to modern jerseys. With the proliferation of some NFL players wearing a new jersey each game - and some players in various sports sometimes wearing several jerseys in the same game - it all becomes somewhat meaningless to me. Another game, another jersey (or two) - YAWN (or maybe I should just sigh).

I am always a bit perplexed at how the card companies seem to receive the full blame for destroying the game-used jerseys while the teams, brokers, dealers, etc. who sell directly to the card companies seem to get a free pass. The same holds true with collectors pointing their (mainly middle) finger at the card companies for profiting off of this endeavor while completely ignoring their favorite team and/or dealer (a few who have frequented this Forum) who are also profiting off the deal. But why be angry at anyone? Last time I checked, it was not illegal to run a business and make a profit. (Full Disclosure: I have never sold a game-worn jersey to a card company, and I have never been employed, volunteered, owned stock in, or provided any type of service to a card company.)

My collecting interest is mainly in vintage jerseys because players back in those days usually only had a jersey and a spare. The jerseys actually show use - not just the one-game dirt and stains that have not been washed off of the jersey worn by Joe Superstar in last week's game (and who will be a distant memory in most cases 20 years down the road). Most of you may not care what I collect or even my opinion on this subject. But keep in mind that a number of people in this hobby really don't care what you think or collect, either, and 99.99% of the human race couldn't care less. Not trying to be the voice of negativity here or downplay anyone's collecting preferences - just giving a reality check

Enjoy collecting what you collect, and never mind what everyone else is doing - including the card companies - as there is nothing any of us game-used collectors can really do about it. It is nothing more than another party competing against you for something that you collect. Besides, how many of us can really afford a Brady jersey to begin with?

Happy New Year!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS

yanks12025
01-03-2016, 01:22 PM
I get the craze to an extent. A sliver of something is way cheaper than a whole jersey. A Rodgers card is like $50 and an entire jersey is the price of a brand new car. So it has value in that sense. im not all about the excitement though. It is just such a tiny piece and I have seen many examples of how shady it is. Lots of questionable cards etc. I would rather have say a role players whole jersey than a questionable patch of a star player

Depends on the player though. I've seen people pay like $750 for a piece of a bat knob but you could buy a whole bat of that player for cheaper then $750.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Depends on the player though. I've seen people pay like $750 for a piece of a bat knob but you could buy a whole bat of that player for cheaper then $750.

Of course, that is where it doesn't make sense to me. Bay knobs and laundry tags are ridiculous. However that is what is rare and collectible in their hobby and I am not going to say it is totally stupid. How many people who don't collect game used gear look at your stuff and think it is worth more than $5? Probably not many. Most are confused why we have dirty laundry hanging on our walls. On the other hand collecting pieces of paper that look different seems pretty stupid to me.

It just looks worse than it is because they collect stuff that "destroys" what we collect to make it happen.

jmeekins33
01-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Please forgive me, but....

I understand that not everyone can afford to buy a Tom Brady playoff jersey. I, for example, can't afford to buy a Ferrari but that doesn't mean I want some third party chopping up Ferarris and selling me a tail light or a "street used" Ferrari tire. I don't think this trading card thing is any less absurd.

A question. If you like something, why would you want to destroy it just so you can take a little piece of it? Are people that selfish? What if there was one Mickey Mantle jersey left on Earth and some stupid card company bought it. Then what? At what point does this thing go from something that you simply don't like or understand, to a crime? How many historic artifacts have to go into the wood chipper before it's enough already? I know the population of modern jerseys isn't exactly endangered, but they aren't just cutting up modern jerseys.

G1X
01-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Please forgive me, but....

I understand that not everyone can afford to buy a Tom Brady playoff jersey. I, for example, can't afford to buy a Ferrari but that doesn't mean I want some third party chopping up Ferarris and selling me a tail light or a "street used" Ferrari tire. I don't think this trading card thing is any less absurd.

A question. If you like something, why would you want to destroy it just so you can take a little piece of it? Are people that selfish? What if there was one Mickey Mantle jersey left on Earth and some stupid card company bought it. Then what? At what point does this thing go from something that you simply don't like or understand, to a crime? How many historic artifacts have to go into the wood chipper before it's enough already? I know the population of modern jerseys isn't exactly endangered, but they aren't just cutting up modern jerseys.

johnsontravis said it so well in a previous post when he stated, " . . . However that is what is rare and collectible in their hobby and I am not going to say it is totally stupid. How many people who don't collect game used gear look at your stuff and think it is worth more than $5? Probably not many. Most are confused why we have dirty laundry hanging on our walls. On the other hand collecting pieces of paper that look different seems pretty stupid to me. It just looks worse than it is because they collect stuff that "destroys" what we collect to make it happen."

Somewhat repeating what I previously posted, collectors of "chase cards" place value on these types of cards, and I would guess that many of them think that collecting game-used items is unappealing and strange, and probably see the card as a much more valuable collectible in their eyes. Just because we think that it is totally stupid to carve up a game-used item doesn't make us the moral compass on how game-used items should be treated and dispensed into the general sports collecting community.

Think about this, there are those who see some of us as being selfish for hanging museum worthy game-used jerseys in our closets or on our walls for no one to see and enjoy except ourselves and maybe a few friends. Are we wrong, selfish, etc.? I don't think so, but I certainly understand why some folks would think so.

And I ask this question that I raised in my previous post. Why no finger pointing at the teams, brokers, dealers, etc. who are selling these game-used items to the card companies? Yes, some of your favorite teams, uniform dealers, etc. have probably sold directly to card companies knowing what would happen to the items.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS

jmeekins33
01-04-2016, 11:48 AM
I think it's a more complex issue than people like me just "not getting it", or thinking it's stupid. Especially when you talk about vintage jerseys being destroyed. I think it's morally wrong and unethical to butcher these things.

Mattapan03
01-04-2016, 12:04 PM
That was like watching a horror movie.

coxfan
01-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Gix makes outstanding points. However, legitimate concerns have been raised about card companies having a lack of controls to assure that their items are valid.

Another point: in the game-used market as well as unique collectibles in general, many new buyers don't know what's available. That explains strange price discrepancies. I've found that most MLB fans still don't know that authenticated balls are available ( especially where they're not near a MLB stadium) I don't understand why fans will buy authenticated game-used dirt, when for almost the same price they can get a ball that's guaranteed to have some of that dirt!

But it's a free market. I formerly bought g-u cards because I didn't know how to obtain full items. Once I learned, I lost interest in the cards.

patsfan
01-04-2016, 05:02 PM
here's one that may be worse than brady's .... doesn't show the process but it was done to this jersey as well ...probably way scarcer than a brady

patsfan
01-04-2016, 05:03 PM
forgot to put link on http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Immaculate-NUMBERS-LOGO-Acetate-Walter-Payton-Bears-HOF-3-Color-Patch-5-5/361459604411?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D4098b05b3a90412ba23 232f030d5f346%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D361460366160

mad87man
01-04-2016, 06:11 PM
the part that gets me is that there is only 5 cards with it. DO they save it and reuse the jersey for another year? We all know one jersey doesn't equal 5 cards.

NYRangers
01-04-2016, 09:14 PM
I think the card companies should cut up a Honus Wagner T206 card and do insert cards with the pieces.

jmeekins33
01-04-2016, 10:13 PM
forgot to put link on http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Immaculate-NUMBERS-LOGO-Acetate-Walter-Payton-Bears-HOF-3-Color-Patch-5-5/361459604411?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D4098b05b3a90412ba23 232f030d5f346%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D361460366160

"The enclosed game-worn material is guaranteed by Panini America, Inc"

Guaranteed how? You haven't told us who wore it, in what game it was worn in or even what it is. You didn't even firmly state that the swatch came from a jersey, you simply called it material. That has to be the most vague and worthless "guarantee" that I have ever seen. They didn't really say anything and there is no way to hold them accountable. It could have been worn by an 8 year old kid in a flag football game.

patsfan
01-04-2016, 10:58 PM
the part that gets me is that there is only 5 cards with it. DO they save it and reuse the jersey for another year? We all know one jersey doesn't equal 5 cards.
mad87man ... I think they use the premium patch cards ....players name letters in a series of 5 cards for their panini immaculate brand ....at several hundred dollars a box ...and only contain one pack . They probably use other swatches in their other brands like contenders etc.....

RKO18
01-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Ameer Abdullah wears a size 60?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Immaculate-Authentics-Ameer-Abdullah-RC-NFL-Shield-Nike-Tag-Patch-3-5/381507181922?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D47a1da7e212a423b805 066d072791b84%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D361459604411

Phil316
01-05-2016, 01:26 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Immaculate-Authentics-Ameer-Abdullah-RC-NFL-Shield-Nike-Tag-Patch-3-5/381507181922?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D47a1da7e212a423b805 066d072791b84%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D361459604411

:eek::eek::eek: is that a retail jersey?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Yes let's not forget the teams have a big responsibility in the relic business. Not only do they cut up jerseys themselves, I just saw a topps card that actually had the the relic piece authenticated by MLB. Let's not just blame the card companies many teams are jumping in on the opportunity too.

swainer
01-05-2016, 03:10 PM

He probably had to if he wore 17 jerseys like Mark Ingram did a few years back...

http://www.bustingpacks.com/football-previews/2011-rp

Samets
01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
That's the retail tag. Even the event worn jerseys tend to come from the teams. At least the Bears jerseys that I have seen.

patsfan
01-05-2016, 09:08 PM
:eek::eek::eek: is that a retail jersey?

It is absolutely retail A nike game jersey has no mention of where it was made on that tag .......I believe sometimes these "sellers" get a jersey card and doctor it up to make it look like a better card by replacing whatever swatch was in it originally looking for a better payday

patsfan
01-05-2016, 09:22 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Pe0AAOSw3KFWeAs~/s-l500.jpg The Tag in my Devon McCourty jersey has no mention of where the jersey was made