Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swoboda4
    • Nov 2005

Any Rick Monday G/U items? 40th Anniv.

With the 40th anniversary of Rick Monday saving the American flag from being burned in the Dodger Stadium outfield this season (April 25), I'm wondering if anyone has anything Rick Monday game used? Rick, who will be 80 years old that day made the most memorable non-game play that I can think of. These are the only items I have of this great play.
    Attached Files
  • ironmanfan
    • Sep 2005

Re: Any Rick Monday G/U items? 40th Anniv.

neat items although Rick is only 70 years old......I figured he couldn't have been 40 when that incident happened since he played years afterwards..

Comment

• Swoboda4
      • Nov 2005

Ironmanfan, I'm very happy to find myself wrong about Rick's age. No more so than Rick would. I vaguely remember it as a kid, and I'm more fascinated by it now.

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

For those who are too young to remember
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Misha
          • Apr 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	7054631970 jersey. NOB restored by Lon Lewis

Comment

• Misha
            • Apr 2013

Back
            Attached Files

Comment

• Oct 2005

I kept one of Rick's cracked Louisville Slugger bats from his days with the Cubs, along with a home Dodgers game used jersey, Dodgers batting glove and Dodgers uncracked batting helmet, all acquired about 1980.

Tom

Comment

• Juicyfruit66
                • May 2015

Flag incident was nothing compared to what Monday did to Expos fans

The 1981 National League Championship Series was a best-of-five series between the first-half West Division champion Los Angeles Dodgers and the second-half East Division champion Montreal Expos. The Dodgers won the NLCS three games to two over the Expos, thanks to a ninth-inning home run in Game 5 by Rick Monday in what has ever since been referred to as Blue Monday by Expos fans. It was the first postseason appearance for the Expos, and their only appearance during their time in Montreal (the team moved to Washington, DC in 2005, becoming the Washington Nationals).

Comment

• Juicyfruit66
                  • May 2015

Check out this video on YouTube:

Comment

• Swoboda4
                    • Nov 2005

Juicyfruit66 thanks, those were some tall outfield walls. Misha, what a great jersey. It's too easy to get a jersey these days, and expensive. I may go back to hunting out old school game used. 012562, -1980, you were collecting before the game used boom hit. Imagine asking Mantle for a broken bat and as he hands it to you- instead of throwing it in the garbage pail-he smiles and says," Why do you want a cracked bat for?"

Comment

• Swoboda4
                      • Nov 2005

Anyway, I got on a Rick Monday kick and thought what he did by saving the American flag was special, aside from being an all-star. So I started collecting all his Topps cards signed. Having trouble with finding 70,71,72, and 75. I brought this up before but adding other memorabilia to game used items enhances the collection (as we've seen with other members rooms).
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Juicyfruit66
                        • May 2015

I was taught as a kid that Monday destroyed the expos big chance (I was only 3 haha).

I think I get greater appreciation out of the bats I collect from the 70s-2004 because it wasn't an over authenticated market. I go to ball games now and watch each ball and bat be handed off to a guy who writes down when it was used and by who....kind of takes away from the mystique of getting a broken gamer who's history isn't known without some background done, photo matching, etc. I guess I can compare it to card collecting boom in 90s where it became less about rarity but more about "created rarity", like special editions and signature series etc.

Comment

• Swoboda4
                          • Nov 2005

Exactly. And the new hologram air tight collecting also comes with a very big price tag. So last night, with what I know as a collector, I picked up a great Sheffield G/U bat and a Cliff Floyd G/U jersey both in the $200 range. Today, if both were still playing the jersey would have been $800 and the bat $300-400 from a team authentics shop.

Comment

• Juicyfruit66
                            • May 2015

Its cool to find a player to collect who's not the norm. I only got in the game used bat kick a few years ago but find it very fun to seek out bats from my old expos stars, the hunt is exciting. I'm by no means an expert on game used stuff but the abundance of locker plates, tbc one day jerseys, and straight to MLB shop authentics seems like kind of a warning sign the bubble will burst. The old stuff will always be worth what it is but I can picture multiple, multiple gamers from certain stars just flooding the market rendering them almost worthless in comparison. But I may be wrong, I'm by no means an expert (I just remember seeing the card companies do it and look how that turned out).

Comment

• Swoboda4
                              • Nov 2005

You never know who ends up being an Expo (Daniel Murphy included) I'm only realizing it with these photo enlargements, but Swoboda's hat on the card,was painted to be an Expos cap. Love to have that original photo negative from Topps. We're dangerously close to becoming a non game used topic:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...