PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox Hats 1975-1976

helmets
01-10-2016, 10:06 AM
As many of you know, I collect football helmets. This fall, my wife and I visited Boston for three days, and then rented a car and headed up into Maine as neither one of us had been there before. As my wife and I both enjoy stopping at antique malls and flea markets - me for old football helmets/items, and her for a bunch of other junk, we stopped at several during our trip. To make a long story short, in one antique mall in Maine, there was a showcase full of Red Sox items. GU balls, programs, pennants, and other trinkets. There were also four (4) GU hats. I asked an attendant to unlock the case and upon doing so, one of the four (4) hats was attributed to Fred Lynn - from the 1976 season. The attendant called the owner of the showcase and I spoke to her on the phone. She explained that they had season tickets in the 1970's right next to the dugout and often times the players/coaches would come over and give her two young sons items - hats, balls, and even cracked bats. She said that she had sold some things over the years and recently decided to part with the four hats, however her son was keeping a Yaz hat that was given to him. All of the items in her case - the balls, hats, and programs, had tags identifying the year or exact date in which the item was given to her boys.

I don't know much about baseball hats ad thought that New Era was the supplier of MLB hats -even in the 70's. Three of the hats are KM and one is a Tim McAuliffe brand from the 1974 season. Lynn was the biggest name along with Mario Guerrero, a cap with #22 in it, given to her sons by manager Darryl Johnson in 1975, and the last hat with the name "Krall" in it from 1976.

Any help is appreciated!

Here are a few pics of the Lynn.

icollectDCsports
01-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Looks good to me. The Red Sox caps with red crowns and navy bills were supplied by KM Pro in 1975-76 and by Roman Pro in 1977-78. There is some question as to whether they ever wore New Era caps in that style. I'd be interested in purchasing a game worn Red Sox cap of this style, even if it's not the Lynn. Please email me at icollectdcsports at yahoo dot com. Thanks

wfl1974
01-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Very very nice.

debbie1983
01-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Please email me at manbehindthemike at yahoo dot com
Thank you.