PDA

View Full Version : How many batting helemets?

dre707
01-13-2016, 05:39 AM
I just bought a game worn Gary Sheffield ny Mets batting helmet and was wondering how many helmets does a player use during a season? It says used in last series of 2009 what exactly does that mean? Any help please

nevrdiez34
01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
It tends to vary by player/team, but it could mean you have the last batting helmet of Gary Sheffield's career as he retired after the 2009 season.

emann
01-13-2016, 11:26 AM
The Mets are one of teams that have alternate helmet styles, so that probably means you'd need to research what the last game date was and what style they wore.

The Tigers seem to rotate helmets out quickly. Most teams are 1-2 per player per season with exceptions for breakage.

jake33
01-13-2016, 01:47 PM
If it is authenticated to the lest series of the season, it likely was use for a while before then.

MLb cannot authentic items that the rep did not see being used, so in theory a helmet cold be used for an entire season, but authenticated on the last day of the season. The authentication will NOT mention anything about it being used all season because the authenticator never saw that happen first hand.

As for how many person.... Before every player was required to switch to the new composite helmets in 2013, helmets broke more often. The new composite helmets do no break easy. The old cool flow or other styles could break by throwing them to the ground hard

I was told once from an equipment manager a former Rays player went through 5 helmets in 1 season.

soxbats
01-13-2016, 08:24 PM
I have helmets that can be photo matched to an entire season so I think it really depends on player preference and player popularity. Stars could get 2-4 because they get taken out of circulation but most players I think are 1-2 unless they crack or chip them.