PDA

View Full Version : This collector has balls!!

gameused
01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Click on the link:
http://www.tbo.com/video/xml/MGBHL3MI8XE.html

stkmtimo
01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Great video! Thanks for sharing. What a collection. I can only imagine how much it's worth. He's done a tremendous job with the display and security, too. How cool.

Tim

camarokids
01-28-2007, 12:27 AM
The guy was in the St petersburg Times as well . I used to see him a lot at The Trop in St Pete in the early years of the Devil Rays . He has lot of cash and doesn't have to work . Must make collecting easy . So easy, I think collecting would be kind of boring ,except for the hunt . Did the Honus Wagner sig look almost too new to anybody else? the ink looked perfect..let's hear from some of the experts out there....

sammy
01-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Saw a few forgeries amongst the collection.

The 1939 HOF Ball, the DiMaggio/Monroe ball, the Wagner ball among others.

allstarsplus
01-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Saw a few forgeries amongst the collection.

The 1939 HOF Ball, the DiMaggio/Monroe ball, the Wagner ball among others.

Sammy - I think they said the DiMaggio/Marilyn Monroe was 1 of only 2 in existence. Why do you think it was a forgery?

The Honus Wagner looked like it was brand new.

Andrew

sammy
01-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I've seen quite a few DiMaggio/Monroe balls in existence, more then 1 or 2, but that doesn't mean these are authentic.

I've been doing this a long time and my opinion is based on experience.

I'd bet money none of the major authrntication companies would certify the ball as authentic.

stkmtimo
01-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I didn't want to sound like a jerk but that Wagner was clearly suspect. There were a few others that looked a little "off" and maybe I'll go back to the video and check it out. One of his DiMaggio's looked fake to me, too.

Tim

stkmtimo
01-28-2007, 10:00 AM
That Wagner is clearly a fake, it looks like it was done on a new ball in blue fountain pen. I'd be interested to see exactly what model ball it was.

The Hank Aaron even had some inconsistencies. The slant on the Lou Gehrig worried me a bit, too.

What does he do for a living? Still a huge collection nonetheless.

Tim

allstarsplus
01-28-2007, 11:15 AM
What does he do for a living? Still a huge collection nonetheless.

TimNot to use a mixed "Cliché", it's not the size of the collection, it's the quality. In all seriousness, I hope the Guiness Book of World Records does their due dilligence before proclaiming him the King of Balls!

Like we say here all the time, do your homework!

Andrew

stkmtimo
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Not to use a mixed "Cliché", it's not the size of the collection, it's the quality. In all seriousness, I hope the Guiness Book of World Records does their due dilligence before proclaiming him the King of Balls!

Like we say here all the time, do your homework!

Andrew

Great point Andrew. I primarily collect autographs and I had never heard of this guy before seeing the video so I always take these types of things with a grain of salt. I'd be interested to see how much of his collection is actually real. There are no doubts that a few fakes will find their way into a collection that big.

Tim

Vintagedeputy
01-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Nice collection but those fakes scream at you!

earlywynnfan
01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm sure all of us who collect auto BB have some fakes displayed. Although that Wagner did look circa 2003.

I was wondering if Guiness is correct on his being the largest collection of auto'd balls? I have well over 900, and I don't consider myself "big time" at all. Does anyone else out there have a lot?

Ken