PDA

View Full Version : Maddux helmet in Goldin Auction Lot 359

hiramman
01-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Have any other Braves collectors noticed that the Greg Maddux batting helmet listed in the current Goldin Auction as being from 1995 has a white outlined red number on back rather than the all white number you see in all of the 1995 photos I've ever seen?

I collect Atlanta Braves game used exclusively and even have a 1995 game used helmet worn by Fred McGriff. Every 1995 helmet I've ever seen have all white numbers on the back. The white outlined red numbers were used during the 1999-2003 period and then switched back to white numbers again in 2004. (although the numbers in 2004 were to the side of the MLB logo rather than sitting up above it.)

Have any other Braves collector's ever seen a 1995 Braves helmet with white outlined red numbers? If so I'd love to see a photo. I had wanted to bid on it, but haven't been able to find any evidence verifying it is from 1995.

hiramman
01-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Just another thought. I'm not saying the helmet is not a Maddux gamer, it looks to me like it's a Maddux gamer used somewhere between 1999-2003. Size, style, use and of course the awesome autograph verify it's a Maddux gamer, just not sure it's from 1995. Thoughts are welcomed.

KGoldin
01-26-2016, 11:17 PM
We posed this very question to John Taube of JT Bats/PSA/DNA who issued the LOA with this helmet.
He said, to paraphrase 'date codes don't lie'. The helmet was manufactured in Dec 1994 for use in the 1995 season. There seems to be no question this is an authentic, game used Greg Maddux batting helmet. The question posed is the year of use.
We have edited the title to 'circa' and added text to the description with respect to the time period of the lettering.
as everyone knows, I am very active online, and always read the posts here, and respond promptly to my email.
if you have a question, EMAIL ME
ken@goldinauctions.com

skipcarayislegend
01-27-2016, 09:19 AM
OP is correct. The Braves used white helmet numerals from 1995-1997 before switching to the style seen on the Maddux from 1998-2003. Plenty of photos out there to support this. Good to see someone else bring this up and Ken address.

What I don't get is why my post from two days ago that pointed out the exact same thing was deleted by a GUU mod. Can the mod who deleted it let me know why that happened? As I pointed out in that post, I reached out to Goldin Auctions two weeks prior to let them know that, though authentic, it was inaccurate to say the Maddux was used in '95 (i.e., same year as Maddux's CY and team championship). Furthermore, the post clearly stated my belief that the issue rested squarely on the attributed year - not the authenticity of the helmet, seller ethics, morals, etc. etc. I found it very strange that it was removed.

FYI - Both pics below are from '95; one regular season, one World Series.

skipcarayislegend
01-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Correction, meant to say 1995-1998; 1999-2003

TwinLakesPark
01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
We posed this very question to John Taube of JT Bats/PSA/DNA who issued the LOA with this helmet.
He said, to paraphrase 'date codes don't lie'. The helmet was manufactured in Dec 1994 for use in the 1995 season...

I wasn't aware that ABC made helmets "to order" and didn't carry inventory? I also was not aware that a date code on a plastic injection mold was 100% relative to when equipment was issued in a clubhouse to a player.

I guess it is the same logic of the statement "The model number, length, and weight specifications have been confirmed by the manufacturer’s ordering records as being ordered by the player during the referenced labeling period."

Maybe it is just me but PSA/DNA Taube LOA's are all starting to look alike.

truvalue123
01-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Getty Images has 1998 images with the white lettering...so, the earliest this helmet could have been used was 1999...more than 4 years after it was produced

KGoldin
01-28-2016, 08:20 AM
This helmet has been withdrawn and will appear in our next auction without the reference to 1995 season.
while there is no question it is a nice Maddux gamer, there is debate on year of use and do not want uncertainty in those who have already placed bids, as well as it being unfair to the consignor to have his item questioned which hurts bidding.

hiramman
01-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Great idea. Glad to see steps for accuracy being taken.