PDA

View Full Version : Bat repair issues and questions...

TigersCubs84
02-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Had to decide on a Heyward bat, price was less than 150, mlb authenticated, had tape around it and was broken. Figured I could repair, and display. No resale in mind. Bad break, in half, shards mushroomed on both ends, broken around the grain indicator to boot. Much worse than i anticipated. Used wood filler, elmer's wood glue, sanded, managed ok. Bat will display fine. questions to members, (I know some despise repairs, etc). 1. would you buy a bat cracked in half? 2. Would you repair it? 3. wood workers...could you turn a bat on a lathe repaired with wood filler, or would it just crumble or chip? Notice the small bump in the left pic. All comments welcome!

After completion, I reapplied some tar (still wet), rosin, looks ok. The little yellow item is used for caulking. It's about handle width, and smooths out the filler pretty nice. I didn't have access to my usual work bench, did the best with what I had. This was the most difficult repair I've done, and only repair on a larger purchase. practiced on many lesser quality bats. Thanks for viewing.

dangerzone79
02-02-2016, 01:56 AM
I repair my bats when I can. The only thing I wouldn't do is add pine tar or anything to the bat unless you ABSOLUTELY will never sell. Could be seen as somewhat deceptive by some folks. I'd rather see the crack and know that any substance on there was applied by that player & not a collector. Repaired or not repaired is a total individual preference.

metsbats
02-02-2016, 08:48 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=63757&highlight=bat+repair

Here's another thread on bat repair.

I think with the mlb authentication being able to document a bat broken in two or cracked to a specific at bat one would want to leave a broken or bat in two piece in the original state. Just my opinion but to each their own.