PDA

View Full Version : MLB AUCTIONS--Blocking Fans from looking up Auth.#'s

tmpjets
02-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Just have noticed most recently that many MLB Auction memorabilia GU items especially, have the authentication number blanked out. WHY!? For the love of the game the fans should be entitled especially if they are bidding or even win the item, should have the right to look up its authentication #! Even before we place a bid. I would always look up to see what game,significance,player etc. That to me put confidence in my bidding and help with photo matching sooner than later. Just curious as to why some teams, not all yet have started to do this. I think of it this way. If an item is up on Ebay and has a COA and the seller doesn't want to give it up then I would be less likely to bid on that item. But on the other hand these auctions go through the MLB teams and in all MLB. So why now the change?

mad87man
02-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Probably so people don't try to reproduce them. If you know item 0001 is a game used Home plate, it gives people the chance to replicate the item. If you don't know what 0001 is until you get it, its a lot harder to replicate

memorabiliaunlimited
02-16-2016, 09:34 PM
when i asked about this, i was told that it is to prevent people from reproducing the hologram numbers and that teams have been instructed not to post hologram numbers in their auctions anymore. pros and cons both ways but definitely a pain when it comes to figuring out what youre actually bidding on. hopefully teams just start posting the stats or the game it was pulled from.

64SHEA
02-21-2016, 03:38 PM
I have my own holos made to put on items that aren't authenticated and I always thought, what was stopping someone from replicating the MLB holos? While its a prudent move, they need to instruct teams to provide more detailed descriptions in the listing.

TigersCubs84
02-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Just wondering what purpose your own hologram has? Is this similar to making a cert for future sale, or just for your own records?

64SHEA
02-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I have them mostly for my insurance. I also just like having my own holo on my items, and they are cheap, about $20 for 300.

TigersCubs84
02-22-2016, 08:35 PM
I have them mostly for my insurance. I also just like having my own holo on my items, and they are cheap, about $20 for 300.

Thanks for sharing the info. Interesting. So do your holo's have numbers on them? Insurance in case they are stolen? What is the insurance angle? You record each item and place a holo on it? I'm trying to understand how the holo's are better than just using an excel sheet or something. Thanks in advance 64.