PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro rest in peace

cjclong
01-29-2007, 03:28 PM
There was sad news today that Barbaro died this morning. All of us who loved his fighting spirit well remember him. Although we did not get to have him long he was a true champion.

cjclong
01-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I realize that this was off topic and debated the idea for a while before I posted it. In the past when famous athletes have died they have been memoralized here. I am not putting the death of an animal in the same category as the death of a human, but Barbaro was a part of what can be regarded as sport and I thought it was appropriate to acknowledge him since many people followed him with interest.

camarokids
01-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I realize that this was off topic and debated the idea for a while before I posted it. In the past when famous athletes have died they have been memoralized here. I am not putting the death of an animal in the same category as the death of a human, but Barbaro was a part of what can be regarded as sport and I thought it was appropriate to acknowledge him since many people followed him with interest.

I agree the horse deserves some recognition. He was a fighter . I think all life on Earth should be treated equally and with respect . The horse did however live better than most americans and most in the world . Humans are no better than any other living breathing being on this planet. After all the animals were here first :).

34swtns
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
It just sucks. How is it that in the year 2007 we can put a man on the moon or a robot on Mars but we can't figure out how to mend an animal's broken leg? I sympathize with the people who loved that horse.

MooseDog
01-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Fixing a broken leg on a horse - it's not just a matter of science being able to figure out how to do it. The legs of a horse have a very complicated vascular system and although "miracles" can be done with today's surgical technology, getting all those blood vessels connected and working again is the main problem. Additionally, a horse has to be able to bear weight on all four of his legs or problems can develop in the other legs if they have to carry more than their share of the horse's body weight. That's what ultimately did in the poor colt.

Dr Richardson and Barbaro's owners deserve kudos for both giving the horse every possible chance and Dr Richardson especially for being open and honest with the media and keeping the public informed of Barbaro's condition. He said until the end that Barbaro was a very smart and cooperative patient.

Ironically, despite the fact that Barbaro won the 2006 Kentucky Derby, he technically was not a Champion as Bernardini was voted top 3 year old and Invasor Horse of the Year.

However to those of us who love the Sport of Kings he will forever be remembered for his dominating Kentucky Derby victory and indomitable spirit as he recovered from surgery.

Those are qualities of a Champion by any definition.

ChrisCavalier
01-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Fixing a broken leg on a horse - it's not just a matter of science being able to figure out how to do it. The legs of a horse have a very complicated vascular system and although "miracles" can be done with today's surgical technology, getting all those blood vessels connected and working again is the main problem. Additionally, a horse has to be able to bear weight on all four of his legs or problems can develop in the other legs if they have to carry more than their share of the horse's body weight. That's what ultimately did in the poor colt.

Dr Richardson and Barbaro's owners deserve kudos for both giving the horse every possible chance and Dr Richardson especially for being open and honest with the media and keeping the public informed of Barbaro's condition. He said until the end that Barbaro was a very smart and cooperative patient.

Ironically, despite the fact that Barbaro won the 2006 Kentucky Derby, he technically was not a Champion as Bernardini was voted top 3 year old and Invasor Horse of the Year.

However to those of us who love the Sport of Kings he will forever be remembered for his dominating Kentucky Derby victory and indomitable spirit as he recovered from surgery.

Those are qualities of a Champion by any definition.
Hello MooseDog,

Thank you so much for that very enlightening post. I think it's fair to say it will help a number of us gain a greater understanding of the situation and give us an even deeper appreciation of the spirit Barbaro possessed.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier