PDA

View Full Version : Auction House buyer turned Ebay seller in a month?

aphanna25
02-22-2016, 12:44 AM
A few times while perusing memorabilia on Ebay, I'll run into 99 cent no reserve auctions on items I've seen listed recently from other houses like Leland's, Grey Flannel, etc. It makes me curious why they re-enter the market so quickly after the seller established price discovery and offers it up with a low minimum bid.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but is this common practice or raise red flags in the collecting community? I would think a flipper would EBay BIN higher than their hammer price.

Thanks

TBM
02-22-2016, 12:48 AM
They probably either bid their own items up by shill bidding or ends the auctions early if the bidding does not take the prices high enough then lists them again down the road. My guess any ways.

Samets
02-22-2016, 07:53 AM
I have noticed this with the Chicago Bears jerseys as well.
NFL auction road Martellus Bennett was purchased for $910 is now sitting on eBay for over a year at $1,999
NFL Auction (http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=464388)
eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martellus-Bennett-Chicago-Bears-Game-Used-Road-Jersey-11-9-14-PSA-Cert-/201287979544?hash=item2eddb2d218:g:5SwAAOSwpDdU4F1 I)

Here's last Mears auctions Mark Carrier road jersey that ended up at $184 plus $20 in shipping on eBay this week...
Mears (http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1990_Mark_Carrier_Chicago_Bears_Road_Jersey__MEARS-LOT96244.aspx)
eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mark-Carrier-Game-Used-Worn-Jersey-Chicago-Bears-/371555875168?hash=item568274b960:g:t-QAAOSwB4NWw7v9)

Both Devin Hesters on eBay right now are same. One was bought for $1,100 and is being flipped for $1,999 and the 2nd one came from an auction house where it was bought for about the same and is being flipped by the same owner as the first one for the same $1,999

Personally, I'm not sure there's any money left on the bone if you got it from an auction house but to each their own...

Mattapan03
02-22-2016, 03:04 PM
People are still trying to make a quick flip.

Truthfully, unless its an extremely desirable piece, there really is no sellers market anymore. Its been re-hashed over and over, but there is just so much available now in the marketplace that re-sell almost always never produces significantly more money

Bhawk2
02-22-2016, 08:01 PM
The original post mentioned a $.99 starting price. I know jonsstats does a lot of this, and I don't think he ever pulls anything or shills. In fact, a couple of times I've lost an item at auction and bought it from him later for less.

mad87man
02-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Just people trying to make a buck. Which I don't understand. If it goes for whatever price at auction what makes you think it's worth even more a week later? There are a few Jets pieces the guy won from NFL auctions super bowl auction I think 2 years ago and refuses to budge on his prices. I know he didn't pay what he's asking and I know he bought them strictly for profit.

Samets
02-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Just people trying to make a buck. Which I don't understand. If it goes for whatever price at auction what makes you think it's worth even more a week later? There are a few Jets pieces the guy won from NFL auctions super bowl auction I think 2 years ago and refuses to budge on his prices. I know he didn't pay what he's asking and I know he bought them strictly for profit.

Exactly!

Although there was a guy on eBay a few years back that had outrageous prices and was using eBay to show off his collection. To each their own!

yanks12025
02-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Because something sells at auction doesn't always mean that's what the item is worth. Alot of the time you can find stuff in auction houses that don't bring their actual value.

mad87man
02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
How do you decide value? I was always told something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Basically what they go for at auction. If 3 people tell you an item is worth 10,000 and they will only give you 8 and 4 other people only offer up to 8,000. In my opinion it's worth 8,000 and not 10.

I bought a game used Sanchez throwback uniform Rookie. Paid 600$. It originally sold for 10,000. How much is it worth?

Phil316
02-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Because something sells at auction doesn't always mean that's what the item is worth. Alot of the time you can find stuff in auction houses that don't bring their actual value.

Agreed

yanks12025
02-23-2016, 01:06 PM
How do you decide value? I was always told something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Basically what they go for at auction. If 3 people tell you an item is worth 10,000 and they will only give you 8 and 4 other people only offer up to 8,000. In my opinion it's worth 8,000 and not 10.

I bought a game used Sanchez throwback uniform Rookie. Paid 600$. It originally sold for 10,000. How much is it worth?

I don't think there's really a way to determine what "market value" is for game used because it can change so often and depends on the people who see it. What if two buyers don't see the item the first time around. They then see it up for sale and maybe they are willing to pay more for that time.

And your second part is totally different then what has been discussed. It sold for $10,000 because people thought Sanchez was gonna be a great player. Not turn to crap in 3 years.

Samets
02-23-2016, 02:35 PM
How does one justify a guy buying off eBay, turning around and flipping it right back on eBay for 2x what he paid for the item?

I have links for that as well ;)

yanks12025
02-23-2016, 03:39 PM
How does one justify a guy buying off eBay, turning around and flipping it right back on eBay for 2x what he paid for the item?

I have links for that as well ;)

Pretty sure my earlier point can apply to that also. Not everyone sees every item all the time. So again it depends on the item and also who sees it.

Samets
02-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Got it!

So the seller is looking out for the collecting community by making sure everyone has a chance to get the item in case they missed it.

Maybe we should call them Community Ambassadors instead of flippers...

mad87man
02-23-2016, 04:13 PM
I don't think there's really a way to determine what "market value" is for game used because it can change so often and depends on the people who see it. What if two buyers don't see the item the first time around. They then see it up for sale and maybe they are willing to pay more for that time.

And your second part is totally different then what has been discussed. It sold for $10,000 because people thought Sanchez was gonna be a great player. Not turn to crap in 3 years.

So did the first buyer overpay? did i underpay? what would it be worth?

mad87man
02-23-2016, 04:16 PM
i usually try to go by what things go for and average them out. Take the high price and the lowest and find a balance.
I would never go by what a book or something says. I collect nascar diecast and see books tell me a car is worth 50$ yet eBay sold tells me its in the 20$ range. Which is the value?

yanks12025
02-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Got it!

So the seller is looking out for the collecting community by making sure everyone has a chance to get the item in case they missed it.

Maybe we should call them Community Ambassadors instead of flippers...

My points are to the person who said a item selling at auction determines what the value is of that item.

Mad87, I have no idea what sanchez items are worth. I know people made threads years ago about people paying so much for his items and thought they were crazy. So obviously the first person over paid because he didn't turn out to be good. But if he had turned out to b a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, then 10k would have been a great deal.

aphanna25
02-23-2016, 07:40 PM
I wonder if any of the people listing 99 cent auctions just after buying from a large AH have questioned the legitimacy of what they bought (more like a game-issued item rather than the game-worn the COA states) and just decided to punt on it rather than deal with the AH. Sometimes lot descriptions and authentication can be a bit dubious, especially with jerseys, so I'm assuming it's possible. EBay is fast cash, and if they can catch some bids from novice buyers who just look at COA, then they could be out of it in a week. Maybe not the smartest way to do it, but fairly painless.

Juicyfruit66
02-23-2016, 11:02 PM
if someone has the time and isn't strapped for cash, it is in their best interest to list high and see if a desperate buyer takes the bait.