PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys - Southland jersey - Doug Cosbie

delayjf
03-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Can anyone verify the below southland jersey. The problem I'm having is I don't think the Southland jerseys used that font on the name tags, it looks more like the font / letter spacing of the Rawling jersey they worn after the 1981 season. Not pictured here, but the tag on the jersey is a Southland tag.

slats7
03-10-2016, 03:53 PM
That font is only associated with Riddell, which took over the home unis in 1982, so it can't be a Southland jersey.

delayjf
03-10-2016, 04:22 PM
slats7,

Thanks for the reply and the correction (Riddle not Rawlings). You seem to be the authority on the Cowboys uniforms on this board. I've been a cowboys fan since I was a kid and I've always had some questions regarding the Cowboys uniforms and the subtle changes over the years. My favorite version was the 74-81 version for both the home and away uniforms. I absolutely hate the current away blue uniforms and I'm not fond of the home uniforms either. I'm not sure what was so unlucky about the old royal blue jerseys, heck, Dallas lost two Super Bowls in their whites, you could not be must more unlucky than they were in their second Super bowl lose to Pittsburg. If I were the cowboys owner, the uniforms would be the first thing I'd change.

Has anyone who has owns a pair of the posted pictures of the Cowboys game pants (74-81)? I could never really make out the colors as they seems to change color depending on the lighting. Thanks again for your response.

slats7
03-10-2016, 08:00 PM
slats7,

Thanks for the reply and the correction (Riddle not Rawlings). You seem to be the authority on the Cowboys uniforms on this board. I've been a cowboys fan since I was a kid and I've always had some questions regarding the Cowboys uniforms and the subtle changes over the years. My favorite version was the 74-81 version for both the home and away uniforms. I absolutely hate the current away blue uniforms and I'm not fond of the home uniforms either. I'm not sure what was so unlucky about the old royal blue jerseys, heck, Dallas lost two Super Bowls in their whites, you could not be must more unlucky than they were in their second Super bowl lose to Pittsburg. If I were the cowboys owner, the uniforms would be the first thing I'd change.

Has anyone who has owns a pair of the posted pictures of the Cowboys game pants (74-81)? I could never really make out the colors as they seems to change color depending on the lighting. Thanks again for your response.

yes, I'd trash those seafoam green pants in a NY minute. not to mention fix all the mismatched blues. while the road uni is old and tired, at least the blues match.

1974-5: pants were blue
1976-7: grayish blue (my favorite)
1978-81: back to blue again

Dorsett's pants from 1977:

http://s24.postimg.org/shgjf39ys/pants.jpg

here's another guy who hates the current color scheme:

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2016/03/second-mild-suggestion-for-mr-jerry.html

sox83cubs84
03-10-2016, 08:00 PM
That font is only associated with Riddell, which took over the home unis in 1982, so it can't be a Southland jersey.

Was that a typo? I think you meant Russell, not Riddell.

Dave Miedema

slats7
03-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Was that a typo? I think you meant Russell, not Riddell.

Dave Miedema

right, Russell. must've had helmets on the brain when I wrote that.

delayjf
03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
1974-5: pants were blue
1976-7: grayish blue (my favorite)
1978-81: back to blue again

WOW - I DID NOT KNOW THAT. I'm sure glad I found this site. For years I could not figure out why the Cowboys pants looked more blue sometimes and more grey on other games. I thought at first it was the lighting, that they looked bluer with natural lighting and grayer with indoor lighting. Are their any pictures from any collectors that show the different 74-81 pants posted here. Also, Slats7, could you repost your picture of Dorsett's uniform in a different format, for some reason I can't open the picture. I would have to say I preferred the blue pants. Interestingly enough, the Tenn Titans recently used pants similar to the Cowboys blue pants. See below

Regarding the cowboys white jerseys, it seems to me that the numbers on the Southland jerseys were a darker blue than the Jerseys used after the 1981 season. To me, the Southland Jerseys numbers were more of a Navy blue (perhaps a shade or two lighter than Navy blue) with a sheen that would look black in certain lighting. I'm not sure if the Russell jerseys that followed the Southland Jersey's used that same shade of blue or were a tad lighter. I think when they went to the bigger numbers they also went to the current royal blue numbers - which I don't like.

slats7
03-11-2016, 04:21 PM
WOW - I DID NOT KNOW THAT. I'm sure glad I found this site. For years I could not figure out why the Cowboys pants looked more blue sometimes and more grey on other games. I thought at first it was the lighting, that they looked bluer with natural lighting and grayer with indoor lighting. Are their any pictures from any collectors that show the different 74-81 pants posted here. Also, Slats7, could you repost your picture of Dorsett's uniform in a different format, for some reason I can't open the picture. I would have to say I preferred the blue pants. Interestingly enough, the Tenn Titans recently used pants similar to the Cowboys blue pants. See below

Regarding the cowboys white jerseys, it seems to me that the numbers on the Southland jerseys were a darker blue than the Jerseys used after the 1981 season. To me, the Southland Jerseys numbers were more of a Navy blue (perhaps a shade or two lighter than Navy blue) with a sheen that would look black in certain lighting. I'm not sure if the Russell jerseys that followed the Southland Jersey's used that same shade of blue or were a tad lighter. I think when they went to the bigger numbers they also went to the current royal blue numbers - which I don't like.

Dorsett pants

http://s24.postimg.org/shgjf39ys/pants.jpg

as for the plastic, screen-printed numbers, they were pretty much royal blue that looked navy blue under certain lighting conditions

http://s21.postimg.org/c24f5lp8n/167132810.jpg

the Russell jerseys were a little bit lighter, esp after 1986

http://greyflannelauctions.com/ItemImages/000034/1131a_Auc45_lg.jpeg

delayjf
03-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Slat7,

I know its difficult without a closer inspection, but would you say the picture below shows the 76-77 Grey pants (right) vs the Blue pants 74-75 & 78-81 (left)