PDA

View Full Version : Minor League game used

Jim65
03-21-2016, 05:01 AM
I recently started a collection of Minor League and Independent League game used from New Jersey based teams. I'm finding some stuff to be amazingly hard to find, which I expected but also very cheap when I do find something.

Anyone else collect Minor League game used?

wfl1974
03-21-2016, 09:47 AM
While I'm not a collector of exclusively Minor League stuff, I do have a few Birmingham Barons jerseys, bats, and baseballs. I agree, they seem to be harder to find, I only occasionally come across stuff. I think that its because the minor league teams re-use so much of their stuff longer as compared to the majors...I have no idea if this is the case, but I would assume so. One of my jerseys is a jersey from the 1990's and you can tell that it went through several seasons, as its very well-worn.

Copa
03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
I have a similar collection, where I'm trying to grab jerseys from all Michigan-based hockey and baseball teams.

I'm in the same boat, where some teams are really hard to find, but it's that much more rewarding when you do land one you've been looking for.

I just picked up two jerseys I've been trying to find for about five years, and while I paid a lot more than I normally would for a minor league baseball jersey, being able to hunt down a couple of white whales was totally worth it.

BirdsOnBat
03-21-2016, 10:21 AM
I recently started a collection of Minor League and Independent League game used from New Jersey based teams. I'm finding some stuff to be amazingly hard to find, which I expected but also very cheap when I do find something.

Anyone else collect Minor League game used?

My brother and I try to hit a few games a year and I'll typically pick up a bat mostly because it then becomes a reminder of a fun day out with family. For NJ teams the only one I have currently is a Carlos Tocci Lakewood Blue Claws Max Bat.

kinguy
04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
I collect Blue Jays major and minor league jerseys and have around 35 of the latter from all levels of the minors. I like following minor league team history and getting the minors jerseys is usually a lot cheaper than those of the big league team. The big problem is that with so many of their early low minor league teams named the Blue Jays, it can be very difficult to figure out which year or team some of the jerseys came from.

I never considered it as a whale jersey, but one that I was looking for a long time was from the one year only 1986 Ventura Gulls. It was the only time the Jays had an affiliate in the California League. I scored a home version off eBay a while ago at a reasonable price.

My biggest regret is passing on a 1979 Kinston road jersey I saw at a collectibles store in Toronto that was a repurposed 1978 Toronto jersey sent to the minors. Was more than I wanted to pay at the time and I'm still kicking myself.

echl fan
04-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Hey King Guy,

Any St Catharines jerseys? Blue Jays or Stompers?

markyanis@gmail.com
04-06-2016, 07:44 PM
I collect some minor league items. I especially like bats and caps used by guys who ended up succeeding in the majors (eg, I have a Manny Ramirez bat from his pre-rookie years). I also like GU caps and jerseys from the minors because they have a lot of character. My favorite cap is from the Toledo Mud Hens.

Recently on ebay I found an MLB-authenticated autographed GU ball from Carlos Correa's very first professional game in the minors in 2012. I thought it was a really cool and unique item with rock-solid provenance. I bid over $300 and still lost. If he continues on his current trajectory, that ball oughta be worth a nice sum.

sherbal15
04-06-2016, 08:38 PM
I've got a Giancarlo Stanton jersey from his time with the Jacksonville Suns and a few other Cardinal players - wacha, piscotty, and Alex Reyes. I think the minors jersey are pretty slick and tough to find!!

lakeerie92
04-08-2016, 06:06 PM
I have a couple early 90's Birmingham Barons jerseys as well as a 1992 Barons team signed ball and early 90 Barons team signed bat