Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jake33
    • Nov 2005

Increase in people flipping jerseys?

Just curious if anyone else has notice and increase in this trend....
    Someone buys a jersey on NFL or MLB auctions and 24 hours later they have it listed on ebay for at least 40% more than what they bought it for.

To me, it seems like I am seeing a lot more of that happening, jus curious if anyone else has noticed an upward trend on that as well, since ebay lets people list whatever item at any price with a make an offer.

In part, I get it because I always say everything I have is always for sale for the right price. Also, it is the owner's right to do whatever they want with the product they own. Just overall seems a little annoying because the game used collecting community is the that big and really most serious collector's check the NFL and MLB auctions searching for the team or player they collect and the majority of all the people that would have wanted that item would have won it at auction anyways.
  • CPuente57
    • Jun 2010

Re: Increase in people flipping jerseys?

I noticed that on ebay in general...someone won a Kyrie Irving Meigray gamer for I believe 2700 and now the buyer has it up for 5500.
    Chris P
    http://chrisptop100.blogspot.com/

Comment

• metsbats
      • Nov 2005

This certainly was rampant during the 2015 Post season. A lot of Mets game used playoff and world series items were on ebay right after either being purchased directly from the team or off of mlb auctions. However, I 've yet to see someone who brought a $3500 helmet for example get the 21K they are asking for on ebay.
      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• mad87man
        • Feb 2011

yeah and its beyond annoying. i get the whole its theirs and they can do what they want with it BS but come on. These people take the fun out of the hobby and makes it not fun anymore. i gotta battle a scalper for it on auctions then if i really want it pay his price? no thanks

Comment

• joshmiller0
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by CPuente57
          I noticed that on ebay in general...someone won a Kyrie Irving Meigray gamer for I believe 2700 and now the buyer has it up for 5500.
          Yes, he is a member here... He has done that frequently.. also on nba auctions.. typically he lists things for at least 100% more of what he paid. I have bought a few thousand dollars worth of steiner items that he had.. At the time, the knicks shooting shirts weren't available without purchase of a jersey.. he bought the whole team set and broke it up selling about half to me.. maybe i shouldn've just bought the whole team set.. He was great to deal with though...

Comment

• Jim65
            • Mar 2013

Sometimes I'm grateful for a chance to buy something I missed. There are some items I don't mind overpaying for and as long as the seller is reasonable, we can usually come to some agreement.

Comment

• mad87man
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Jim65
              Sometimes I'm grateful for a chance to buy something I missed. There are some items I don't mind overpaying for and as long as the seller is reasonable, we can usually come to some agreement.
              I have never missed an item and then seen it appear on eBay. Less than a week later. I always check NFL auctions for new stuff and keep tabs on what i want. If i did miss something though it would be a different story, or if they had the item a while.

Comment

• gorilla777
                • Aug 2009

Many seem to think they're "dealers" nowadays...you could probably start a thread called "Does anybody collect anymore?"

Comment

• Oriolesfan29
                  • Mar 2012

I know two examples I've seen recently are the Manny Machado and Carlos Correa game used St Patrick's day jerseys. Somehow the seller got complete pics of the Manny jersey less than 24 hours after it sold, I'm not even sure how that's possible. It is definitely annoying though I agree. The Correa one is listed for $8K and it sold for way less than half that.

Comment

• paul457
                    • Dec 2012

I've never understood the thought process behind this movement...

So you were the highest bidder in an auction, meaning you paid the highest price for X item. Then, you think that you're going to list X item in a different auction, days later, and someone is going to pay 10-20-50% more than you did in the previous auction?

Good plan.
                    WTB -
                    Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
                    Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
                    Jose Canseco A's GU jersey

Comment

• yanks12025
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by paul457

So you were the highest bidder in an auction, meaning you paid the highest price for X item. Then, you think that you're going to list X item in a different auction, days later, and someone is going to pay 10-20-50% more than you did in the previous auction?

Good plan.
                      As I stated in another thread about people complaining about flippers is that NOT every collector sees EVERY auction. So just because an item in one auction sells for XXX amount, that DOESN'T mean that its worth only that price.

So pretty much, if a Ruth game used bat is listed for sale and for some odd reason it sells for only $1,000. Is it only worth $1,000 because thats what it sold for at auction.

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by paul457

Good plan.

Especially on eBay out of all places.
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• memorabiliaunlimited
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by CPuente57
                          that would be me my friend - i believe we have done business together in the past, always a pleasure.

as someone else stated on here, not everyone sees every auction. meigray retails them for about that price. there is simply no way to find his jersey at that price other than in an eBay auction, which always sees rock bottom prices. in no way is an eBay auction end price a market price. i never expect to receive my full asking price, but why sell myself short? it is a full retail price. a high list price leaves more room to negotiate a reasonable price. everything i have listed always has always has a "best offer" option.

also, auction items are the easiest to flip - done quite frequently and has been very successful. once people get over the high list price and start making offers, i am quite reasonable and the items move. i never get stuck with items purchased in auctions - only stuff i buy directly from teams or other people (which i find interesting as well).

the bottom line is, these items are worth what someone is willing to pay for them at any given time. every day is different, different people see items at different times, and teams and players peak at different times. the market is very fluid and its always a gamble.

but have to love this industry

Comment

• grandeleague
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by Oriolesfan29
                            I know two examples I've seen recently are the Manny Machado and Carlos Correa game used St Patrick's day jerseys. Somehow the seller got complete pics of the Manny jersey less than 24 hours after it sold, I'm not even sure how that's possible. It is definitely annoying though I agree. The Correa one is listed for $8K and it sold for way less than half that.
                            He will take that Correa to the grave with him before someone pays 8k for a St. Pattys jersey. Most of the ebay jerseys are priced way over a fair value. In many instances if you offer half what it is listed for you are in many cases offering fair retail but not to the "expert" selling it. People can do what they want but i would like to be a fly on the war when many of these clowns are figuring out prices for their jereys.

Comment

• grandeleague
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by metsbats
                              Especially on eBay out of all places.
                              My personal favorite is the 5000 evan gattis jersey on ebay. Lol. You have got to be joking. If you offered 1k you would be offering 2x what it is worth and yet only 20% of what it is listed for. You simply cannot do anything with a jersey like that. The seller can keep on dreaming and the buyer can keep on dreaming if he thinks he can get it at a decent price.

Comment

Working...