PDA

View Full Version : Autographing on glossy bat barrels?

aphanna25
03-28-2016, 12:36 AM
I have an Old Hickory bat, black barrel with the high gloss finish. I'm thinking about getting it autographed with silver paint pen (probably Deco), but have there been any well-known issues with smudging/streakiness/bubbling etc. with signing on gloss finishes on bat barrels?

Thanks,
Andy

Juicyfruit66
03-28-2016, 12:58 AM
I'm by no means an expert on autograph pens but I was at Michaels testing some out and the sharpies dried instantly while the deco type smudged after it was done. Do the silver deco pens really look that much better than the silver metallic sharpies? I went the safe route and bought sharpie for my black bat

aphanna25
03-28-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks. Everyone has had their own experiences, good and bad, with marker brands but my question has more to do with the ink transfer to the glossy finish on the bat. Glossy flats like some card and photo brands are notorious for awful autos. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious, that the collecting community strongly advises against getting glossy bats signed.

TigersCubs84
03-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Paint pen for a sit down autograph. Make sure you prep the pen, try it out first, etc. Get the paint flowing nicely. Shows much better than a sharpie in my opinion. Paint does not dry as fast, and can smear, so in a crowded free autograph scrum, paint may not be the way to go.

aphanna25
04-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Will be a sit down graph, so I'm thinking the odds will be better for a clean sig and haven't heard any additional fears about 'graphing on glossy. Thanks.