PDA

View Full Version : Ripken Batting Helmet on Ebay

rbalm
01-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi,

Any Batting helmet experts have an opinion on the following item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-Game-Used-Batting-Helmet_W0QQitemZ280075746448QQihZ018QQcategoryZ501 17QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
Adam

mr.miracle
01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi,

Any Batting helmet experts have an opinion on the following item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-Game-Used-Batting-Helmet_W0QQitemZ280075746448QQihZ018QQcategoryZ501 17QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
Adam

Hello Adam:

I know that the helmet is being offered by forum member Dan Derleth who is a hugh collector of Cal Ripken game used items out of New York. Dan is a solid guy and is very knowlegable about all things Cal Ripken and has been a hugh help to me personally in the past.

As for the helmet itself, I along with many others have tried unsuccessfully to figure out the ABC datewheel on these darn helmets over the years. If anybody has figured it out then they should probably be the chairman of the math dept. at MIT. I tend to shy away from game used hats and batting helmets because they are so hard to date and also due to the fact that they are easy to fake.

The only thing I would suggest is asking Dan where he obtained it and what kind of provenance it has behind it since it does not come with a COA/LOA. I would also check the sizing of the helmet against other Ripken game used helmets to verify that this is also correct. I did not look closely at the size of this helmet to see what it is.

Don't know if this helps, but good luck

Thanks

CollectGU
01-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Howard,

You had mentioned that you owned a Ripken batting helmet. Can you please share the size?

Thanks,
Dave

mr.miracle
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
All of the authentic Ripken helmets that I have seen over the years have been in a size 7 & 3/8th. If anyone has seen other sizes please let me know. Don't know about its specific background but there is a picture of one on lelands.com from an old auction several years ago I believe reported to be a 99 helmet in a 7 3/8 saying it came directly from the Orioles themselves. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Brett

hblakewolf
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Brett-
My Ripken game used helmet was manufactured in 1998 and worn in 1999. It came from THE source for O's equipment at the time along with a Ripken pre-game. The size is 7 3/8.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

CollectGU
01-31-2007, 07:45 PM
I see that AMI also sold a ripken batting helmet that was 7 3/8...

ripkengamers
02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks to all the forum members for your comments regarding my helmet. I now also have reservations on the helmet size as well. In all my research from past auctions, Ripken helmets have been 7 3/8. This generally holds true for Cal's hat sizes as well but I've also seen cap sizes at those other than 7 3/8 on auction so I'm still not 100% convinced this is not a legit Ripken helmet.
This may not be the best example as it's authenticated by Lampson but AM has a size 7 1/8 cap on auction right now:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=34003

I guess my question is this........if it's not Ripken's helmet then who's is it? The helmet is 100% original and no sign of the numbering on the helmet being doctored or replaced. Sources indicate this is probably not a Bluefield minor league helmet so then ....................
I'd love to hear from anyone who can explain who's helmet this might be if not Cal's!

RobSteinmetz
02-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Didn't someone on this forum once post some info about authentic number kits that can be purchased for batting helmets? If those are available and virtually identical to what the team used, it seems like it would be easy to create a Ripken helmet. I've seen a lot of questionable helmets over the years, and as a result, I won't purchase game used helmets unless I get them from the team or player directly.

gameused
02-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Didn't someone on this forum once post some info about authentic number kits that can be purchased for batting helmets? If those are available and virtually identical to what the team used, it seems like it would be easy to create a Ripken helmet. I've seen a lot of questionable helmets over the years, and as a result, I won't purchase game used helmets unless I get them from the team or player directly.

Rob,

I'm with you, these batting helmets are really easy to fake! I recently inquired about a David Ortiz game used helmet and the seller said it was from the end of the 2006 season and sent some photos.

I checked on some end of the year game photos of Ortiz and the helmet he wore showed a lot more game use and the inner padded head band was black and the sellers head band was tan.

Best Regards, Bobby

ripkengamers
02-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Rob, Bobby,

Apperciate your comments and speculation about faking helmets with number kits but this helmet is NOT one of those trust me! This helmet is not a couple years old. The inside padding is old, cracked and a piece is missing. Close inspection will show that the number on this helmet is original.............and given the age of this helmet and the amount of use (abuse) I can't imagine anyone taking the time back then to fake this. So.................anyone else got any ideas?

allstarsplus
02-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Apperciate your comments and speculation about faking helmets with number kits but this helmet is NOT one of those trust me! This helmet is not a couple years old. The inside padding is old, cracked and a piece is missing. Close inspection will show that the number on this helmet is original.............and given the age of this helmet and the amount of use (abuse) I can't imagine anyone taking the time back then to fake this. So.................anyone else got any ideas?

Does anyone have a Damon Buford or Jack Voight cap in their collection????

Damon Buford was a role player for the Orioles from 1993 to 1995. During that span he had 113 At Bats. Damon's jersey # was 18. He also batted right handed. He wasn't a big guy at 5'10" 170 pounds.

My thought since the helmet in question is a 7 1/4 and you are sure it is original #'g that someone could have removed the # next to it like a Damon Buford's #18. Remove the 1 and leave the 8.

Jack Voight was #28 and played 1992-1995 with the O's and also was a right handed batter. Also not sure what his cap size was.

Obviously this is an alternate theory. Cal wore a 7 3/8 helmet most of his playing days and helmet sizes only seem to get larger with age and weight gain and don't seem to get smaller unless there is significant weight loss.

Andrew

ironmanfan
02-05-2007, 12:17 PM
This helmet baffles me a bit as well although I have no real explanation what the helmet might (or might not) be. The Buford or Voight theories really doesn't work here in that the "8" appears centered on the bill and please keep in mind that the inner shell had the "scrambled eggs" pattern as to year of manufacture. I have a 1992 Bill Ripken game used helmet with the current dating code (month/year), so I would think the helmet would have to pre-date that. The Orioles first used orange numbering on the bill in 1990. Dan, did the person who sold/traded it to you provide any information on the provenance?

ripkengamers
04-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I just HAD to resurrect this post as now I noticed that Mastro has a Ripken helmet from the 1994 season which is a size 7 1/4 !

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=70799&CurrentRow=1

Interesting that no one thought that MY size 7 1/8 helmet could possibly be legit because nobody has seen any other Rip helmets other than 7 3/8. Well here's a 7 1/4 helmet authenticated by Bushing and Kinunen. I'd be interested to hear what Troy has to say regarding this helmet as I know he frequents this forum on occasion.

Here's the item description:
From 1981 through 2001, the Baltimore Orioles changed venues, employed three different logos and uniform styles, and endured 10 managerial changes. One constant during that two-decade span was Cal Ripken, Jr. Penciled into the lineup for 2,632 consecutive games, Ripken wowed fans at Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards with 431 home runs, two MVP laurels, and sure-handed defense throughout his Hall of Fame career. Offered here is an Orioles batting helmet donned by Maryland's favorite son during the middle portion of his non-stop career. This black plastic shell is decorated with the bird logo decal that appeared on O's head gear from 1989 through 1997. At the front of the bill, an orange "8" decal reveals Ripken's since-retired number, and at the lower back, an "ABC" manufacturer's sticker features an MLB silhouette logo in Orioles team colors. Sporting a left ear flap, the helmet features padding at the interior base, within the ear flap, at the crown and lining the circumference. Within the shell, three decals respectively denote size "7-1/4," "Diamond Collection" and "WARNING" details. Additionally, a time clock stamping reads "94." The item shows solid overall wear, with scuff marks throughout. LOA from Dave Bushing & Troy Kinunen/MEARS.

Let the dialog begin.....................................

Nathan
04-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not specifically responding to anyone here, but I do wish to make clear that someone's overall size, both in terms of height and weight/girth, has no bearing on their head/hat size.

The biggest factors that would influence someone's hat size changing are swings one way or another in terms of hair (going from an afro to a shaved head, for example, although smaller changes will have an impact) or changes as a result of excessive use of HGH (which will impact bone density and growth). A very minor factor would be personal issues, such as wanting a looser fit if, say, a player has a headache and doesn't want to wear a tighter-fitting helmet or hat.

But the biggest thing is that there is no correlation between body size and hat size.

Nathan, 5'11", size 7 5/8 hat

hblakewolf
04-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Nate-
You missed Dan's point.

This helmet in the current MASTRO auction is quite a bit smaller in size than Ripken's normal size. Unless his head actually shrunk, there is no way he would wear a size 7 1/4 in 1994.

I believe Dan is seeking info. as to how MEARS could say this is a legit gamer, based on the small size.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net