X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porsche544
    • Nov 2005

Insurance for your collection?

Hi forum members,
    I've been collecting for almost seven years and have a collection worth $15-$20k. Should I be looking to insure these items? Has anyone have good or bad experiences with insuring their collection? What's the best and most reliable company out there in the northeast? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Gerald
  • geoff
    • Nov 2005

Re: Memorabilia insurance

That is a very good question.Something i would not mind knowing myself

Comment

• mwbosoxfan
      • Mar 2006

I visited with my local insurance agent with whom I carry my homeowner's and car insurance. He indicated to me that special items, such as jewelery and collectibles with some value can and should be listed separately on a schedule in addition to the blanket amount covering the normal contents of your home. Most homeowner's policies do not have a problem with this. He suggested that the more extensive the information provided on the schedule, the easier it would be to insure, and more importantly, receive settlement in the unfortunate event of a loss. He indicated that provence of value is very important. Original invoices, published price guides, or letters from reputable dealers are necessary in order to properly insure collectibles with extreme values. Obviously, multiple sources to corroborate the value of rare items would be beneficial.

Comment

• Eric
        • Jan 1970

That is also the case with my collectibles insurance.

I am with Chubb, and every few months I send them an updated Excel sheet listing the items in my collection and any additions/deletions.

On that list I provide details on the item- player name, year, item, amount paid, where i got it and any provenance.

I like the fact that they have the items insured with each item specifically listed in the statement.
        Eric
        Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• jonincleve
          • Apr 2006

i use a personal articles policy through state fram insurance. i have an excel spreadsheet that i update yearly for cards and twice a year on memorabilia. on high dollar items i keep detailed photos plus i keep receipts on who and where i buy it. i actually put this information on a cd and store it at my sisters house and the insurance agent gets a copy. for memorabilia i look for items that sell at auctions and ebay that are close to mine. example a 1984 buddy bell jersey sold on ebay for $800 or so dollars a couple of days ago. i have an 82 and a 83 buddy bell jersey from his ranger days so i make sure i am in that ballpark for insurance purposes and i have some information to back it up with my insurance agent. as long as i have proof on cost and value i am good. i had to use my insurance policy about 10+ years ago. i had some of my sets stored in standard cardboard boxes. i did know it but we had a small water leak that dripped on the backside of the boxes and the water soaked it's way through the cardboard from back to front. i lost a topps set run from 1967 to 1980. once i made the claim and they came out to look at wet nolan ryan and tom seaver cards, they charged me the deductible minus what i was able to sell the 'wet' sets for and paid me the difference. just my information on the subject.

take care and good luck
          john

Comment

• byergo
            • Feb 2006

State Farm sucks. I know, I used to work for them. You are without question not getting a market competitive rate with them on ANYTHING.

Time to shop around...

Comment

• gatorcollector
              • Aug 2005

Do you have special insurance on your collection?

Just wondering what you all think about insuring your collections? Do you just stick with your regular homeowner's insurance? Has anyone purchased extra insurance specifically for your memorabilia?

Comment

• GrndSlm
                Banned
                • Jun 2006

Memorabilia Insurance. NEED HELP

I have been trying to insure my game used memorabilia for years. But, since I live in South Florida, the yearly Hurricane scares have made most insurance companies shy away from collectibles. I have the items appraised and still the companies are unwilling to insure me. Does anyone know of a company that understands the collectibles market? Just for the record, South Florida has anohter system threatening us with Hurricane Ernesto !!

Comment

• GrndSlm
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2006

Re: Memorabilia Insurance. NEED HELP

Oops, I forgot to place my email address.

Juan Iglesias
                  GrndSlm@aol.com

Comment

• webb17
                    • Jul 2006

whats up juan its jeff kranz. r u still with livan. i live in arizona now.. try lloyds of london www.webbsite17.com
                    jeff

Comment

• kswarriors
                      • Dec 2005

Try this company, which specializes in insuring collectibles. I can't vouch for them personally one way or the other, but it's worth a shot. Good luck.

CIS offers the best collectibles insurance service for whatever you consider valuable- vintage guns, sports cards, comic books, and more!

Comment

• GrndSlm
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2006

Jeff, I will be in AZ next month....Lets have dinner !! I am still representing Livan and many other ML players...

Guys, thanks for help with the insurance. I have tropical storm ERNESTO coming my way..

See you guys,
                        Juan Iglesias

Comment

• allstarsplus
                          • Nov 2005

Juan - First of all, good luck with the storm. For insurance, see if you can include it as part of your business insurance policy as sports memorabilia may qualify as an off-shoot of your sports agency business.

Andrew

PS - Your Soriano bat is on its way to you!
                          Regards,
                          Andrew Lang
                          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                          202-716-8500

Comment

• webb17
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by GrndSlm
                            Jeff, I will be in AZ next month....Lets have dinner !! I am still representing Livan and many other ML players...

Guys, thanks for help with the insurance. I have tropical storm ERNESTO coming my way..

See you guys,
                            Juan Iglesias
                            call me 602-628-1418

Comment

• gatorcollector
                              • Aug 2005

Insurance for your collection?

I'd like to hear from other forum members about how your collections are insured. Does anybody carry any insurance specifically for your collectibles or do you just let your regular homeowners policy cover it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...