PDA

View Full Version : Americas Bat Book

rjdgonebats
01-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I have seen a few on ebay. Is it a worthwhile addition to my reference library and what is the going rate??Any help would be appreciated,Ray

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
01-31-2007, 03:53 PM
I recently lost out in an Ebay auction to Troy K. for $345.00 for this book. However, I was able to find another copy--got the information I needed and recently sold it to another collector for around $200.00 which I feel is a fair market price. Hope this helps.

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
It has a lot of worthwhile information especially if you are just starting out collecting game used bats for any timeframe.

rjdgonebats
01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
SICollector,Thanks for the response. I do appreciate it very much.Anybody else have any thoughts on this book??

MSpecht
01-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Ray--

I agree with Dave, there is information in AMERICA'S BAT that you won't find in the other primary bat collector's references, either BATS, MastroNet Guide, Crack of the Bat, or even in Vince Malta's upcoming book. That being said, the book does not contain the complete shipping records of the 1300 players listed (it was researched with the co-operation and under the authority of John A. Hillerich III), however it does list the H & B model, length, and weight of the bat MOST COMMONLY ORDERED by over 1300 players. So, if you are looking at, say, a 33 inch Dave Parker bat, and see in this book that his most commonly ordered bat was a 36 inch / 36 ounce M253, you may want to look alot closer at the bat before you buy it. The best thing about the book is that in addition to the HOFers and stars, it is also filled with the Jerry Remy, Bob Dernier, and Terry Crowley type platers that complete records are unavailable for.

On a side note, After seeing the book bring over $300 on Ebay about a month ago, I was able to run down the person who has the publishing rights to the book and confirm that, at this time, he has no remaining copies of the book, and due to publishing costs, he will not be printing any additional copies.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com