PDA

View Full Version : Piazza's 911 jersey coming home!

metsbats
04-14-2016, 01:36 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/04/14/mets-fans-spend-big-to-rescue-piazza-911-jersey-as-museum-piece/

Just in from the NY POST:

The 9/11 Mike Piazza jersey is coming home.

Home to New York. Home to the fans. Even home to the Mets, who made a colossal mistake selling the jersey in a private sale three years ago.

Anthony Scaramucci and Tony Lauto and an anonymous third business partner, all of them huge Mets fans, came to an agreement in principle Thursday to buy the jersey, The Post has learned. The jersey will sell for approximately $355,000, making it the most expensive modern day jersey.

Scaramucci and Lauto worked hard to set up the deal so the jersey can spend time at Citi Field, as well as the 9/11 Memorial Museum and at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

“We had too many friends die in those buildings to let that jersey go anywhere else,’’ Scaramucci, founder of Skybridge Capital, told The Post. “Tony and I wanted to make sure that jersey stays in New York.

“We talked to Mike, he’s happy. We talked to Vince [Piazza], he’s happy.’’
Modal TriggerAnthony ScaramucciPhoto: Reuters
This was the jersey Piazza wore on the night of Sept. 21, 2001, when he hit a dramatic two-run home run against the Braves that helped New York get back on its feet again after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

“What Mike did on that night was something we’ll all never forget and what it symbolizes,’’ Scaramucci said. “This jersey represents so much. There is tremendous artistic symbolism to this thing. This is about picking yourself up, no matter what happens in life, and going back into life and hitting home runs.”

Scaramucci and Lauto shelled out the big bucks, but they want the jersey — which was sold by Goldin Auctions for its consignor — to belong to the fans. The last thing Scaramucci and Lauto, former head trader at Goldman Sachs, wanted was for this jersey to wind up out of the country.

The three partners also have a small “slice’’ of Mets ownership; Scaramucci also is host of “Wall Street Week” on FOX Business Network.

The Mets made no attempt to buy back the jersey, after selling it for a small profit three years ago and then having that owner lend it to their museum at Citi Field. But that owner took the jersey back, and the Mets — having parted with it for a few pieces of gold — were left without a significant baseball relic, one of the most important pieces of their history.
Your browser does not support iframes.
The Piazza family tried to buy the jersey privately, but dropped out once the online bidding hit $90,000. The sale price eclipses the previous high paid for a modern day jersey — $303,000 for the Kirk Gibson limp-off home run jersey from the 1988 World Series.

Scaramucci and Lauto hit a home run for all baseball fans, who will get to see this remarkable piece of history: a No. 31 jersey with the American flag on the back collar, and the date 9-11-01 on the sleeve bordered by two more American flags.

Baseball has always been a game about coming home. The 9/11 Piazza jersey is home where it belongs.

KGoldin
04-14-2016, 08:58 PM
$365000
I hope everyone here thinks I ( and the consignor) did the right thing.
Obviously it's an amazing price for him, and everyone on here can guess what he paid ( I won't confirm) but when a consignor tells me to " get him 25,000 or better" and I get him that, and at same time guarantee for at least the rest of the buyers life it will be treasured in one of those three highly trafficked museums, how can I not do it.
We have never pulled an item before for this purpose, and can't see doing it again, but I think it was the right move at the right time. Even Mike Piazza is happy.
And hope everyone here agrees.
Now my Consignors only problem is a mammoth capital gains tax bill come end of the year
And ps, twin lakes gets the win on the contest. He obviously watched my tv interviews.

metsbats
04-14-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm happy with the outcome. Win-win for everyone! Great Job Ken!

slats7
04-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Mike Francesa today was blasting the Mets for selling team memorabilia ("aren't they rich enough?!") and wanted to know the name of the man who originally bought the jersey--as if that mattered.

GMEN92
04-15-2016, 05:08 AM
$365000
I hope everyone here thinks I ( and the consignor) did the right thing.
Obviously it's an amazing price for him, and everyone on here can guess what he paid ( I won't confirm) but when a consignor tells me to " get him 25,000 or better" and I get him that, and at same time guarantee for at least the rest of the buyers life it will be treasured in one of those three highly trafficked museums, how can I not do it.
We have never pulled an item before for this purpose, and can't see doing it again, but I think it was the right move at the right time. Even Mike Piazza is happy.
And hope everyone here agrees.
Now my Consignors only problem is a mammoth capital gains tax bill come end of the year
And ps, twin lakes gets the win on the contest. He obviously watched my tv interviews.

Great job Ken.. Everyone involved wins as well as the fans..

mbenga28
04-15-2016, 08:48 AM
The third partner who was previously anonymous has been revealed as Oliver Stone.

TNTtoys
04-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Mike Francesa today was blasting the Mets for selling team memorabilia ("aren't they rich enough?!") and wanted to know the name of the man who originally bought the jersey--as if that mattered.

If Mike Francesa actually made that statement, he is completely ignorant to the fact that EVERY TEAM in EVERY SPORT sells their memorabilia. Why the Mets are being blasted for something that is actually a quite commonplace practice is beyond me and probably everyone that frequents this forum.

TNTtoys
04-15-2016, 11:59 AM
The third partner who was previously anonymous has been revealed as Oliver Stone.

Wow, that was fast. He was the "silent partner" of the 3-man team to buy the jersey... and managed to remain silent for under 24 hours!!

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/14/oliver-stone-revealed-as-third-buyer-of-mike-piazza-jersey/

jsage
04-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Excellent ending to a fantastic and historic story.
Well done Ken.
Jerry Sage

metsbats
04-15-2016, 05:40 PM
If Mike Francesa actually made that statement, he is completely ignorant to the fact that EVERY TEAM in EVERY SPORT sells their memorabilia. Why the Mets are being blasted for something that is actually a quite commonplace practice is beyond me and probably everyone that frequents this forum.

Francesa works for Wfan the home of the Yankees and former home of the Mets. He has always bashed the Mets so I am not surprised by what he says. Anything to boast his ratings and standing with the Yankee fans. As a Mets fan what he says about to the Mets is irrelevant.

tknorm
04-16-2016, 07:20 AM
everybody wins. nice to see such a happy ending.

KGoldin
04-17-2016, 06:59 PM
I will be on mornings with Maria Fox Business ( Maria Bartiroma) tomorrow Monday am approx 850 am

I will be presenting the jersey to one of the buyers Anthony Scaramucci. I am told it is possible there will be a surprise guest in person or by satellite
We shall see

CollectGU
04-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Piazza will be there!!!

lengthwise1
04-18-2016, 09:40 AM
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4850510302001/historic-mike-piazza-911-jersey-returns-to-new-york/?#sp=show-clips

TNTtoys
04-18-2016, 01:47 PM
I will be on mornings with Maria Fox Business ( Maria Bartiroma) tomorrow Monday am approx 850 am

I will be presenting the jersey to one of the buyers Anthony Scaramucci. I am told it is possible there will be a surprise guest in person or by satellite
We shall see

So, who was the special guest? I only saw the 2 minute video clip online and clearly that wasn't the whole segment...

Alternatively, is there a more complete link to this morning's show?

truvalue123
04-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Was the jersey displayed with the Piazza signature? Did the owner of the jersey or the Mets have Piazza sign it?
One would think Mike would have had quite the reaction when he signed it...

KGoldin
04-18-2016, 03:06 PM
They cut it off
They told me Mike might be live via satellite from Italy
Did a spot with cbs at the 9/11 memorial too
As far as mikes sig, the Mets got it signed and sold it in 2013 signed
On a plane and can't upload pic from memorial....will later