PDA

View Full Version : Small Rant About Being Contacted by Dealers

Oriolesfan29
04-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Had an annoying experience today from a local shop that was named 410 Memorabilia. So he emails me and asks what I have. He was interested in an item I was trying to sell awhile back. I return the email with a listing of what I have for the players he likes and what I feel a fair price was. As almost all of us are, I am an informed collector who knows what his stuff is worth. He says yea I never pay retail value for anything but thanks anyway. This is just annoying, like, if you aren't willing to pay what it's worth, or close to it why bother and waste my time. Most collectors aren't going to sell to a dealer just so they can make a buck off you. That's like yea, here's some free money. I can sell it myself. I simply replied to him, yea, I don't sell at wholesale either. Any of you guys have to deal with this?

truvalue123
04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
So, why would this be annoying? If he is a dealer he has to buy at wholesale to remain in business...
You said no thanks, he said thank you, and, you both move on...

Oriolesfan29
04-17-2016, 06:06 PM
But why would they expect you to sell to them at a value that is less than what the item is worth. Don't waste my time. Unless they are hoping to find a sucker that is willing to give the farm away.

Oriolesfan29
04-17-2016, 06:07 PM
It also took me 7 emails to get me to a point to where we moved on. Just tell me from the get go that you are a dealer and you can't pay retail. I would have said no thanks much sooner.

mr.miracle
04-17-2016, 08:03 PM
But why would they expect you to sell to them at a value that is less than what the item is worth. Don't waste my time. Unless they are hoping to find a sucker that is willing to give the farm away.

Patrick your spot on I have had this happen more and more recently on ebay on items that I either currently have for sale or have recently had for sale. The inquiring party is clearly a dealer either identifying themselves as such or one can tell from their numerous current listing or ebay store etc.

They offer pennies on the dollar with clear intent to resell the item likely using my favorite tactic taking my own ebay photos and listing the item for sale the next day before the item has even shipped out which is simply classic, asking 5 times or more what I was asking for said item.

Again to each their own perhaps a sucker is born every minute however if I have had said item listed on ebay for 1 year with 24 photos of the item with detailed loa info mlb Authenticated, JSA and PSA authentication photomatched signed inscribed and no buyers to that point, what would make anybody possibly think they will get 5 to 10 times my current markup using the same info photos etc? It's just baffling to me. And why possibly ever say I don't pay retail to any potential seller. Well sure I will sell to you for pennies on the dollar when I can simply sell it myself since I already have the item listed for sale with as much detail as is humanly possible at what is a fair sale price, makes perfect sense.

lakeerie92
04-17-2016, 09:08 PM
It isn't just dealers that do that, but collectors too. I have sold a lot of my collection off since getting out of the Navy to hold me over until I am working again. I didn't want to part with most of it, but it was necessary. I had two different people work me down on price and I was alright with it thinking the items were going to a good home, but the items were immediately listed in an auction house. Given the deadline for the auction for listings and when I sold it the items were turned around immediately. I needed the money to get by and could have got more, but cut deals for less money thinking these people were buying for a collection. I get it that I accepted the money and they can do what they want, but it comes across as a low blow from another collector. The other side of that is I sold an item to a collector on here and they immediately had an instance come up where they needed money and offered to sell my item back to me for what they paid. In that case I told them to go ahead and list it because I knew they could make a little bit more off of it and needed the money. I really appreciated them offering.