PDA

View Full Version : Arrieta no hitter and MLB / Reds authentics making $

MrOct44
04-22-2016, 05:24 AM
For those of you that watched the game last night, perhaps you caught the Reds changing out the bases as the game entered the bottom of the ninth inning. The Chicago feed did not go to commercial to allow us the chance to watch Arrieta warm up and take it all in. I have to imagine that each team ramps up production of game used stuff if they sense a milestone is in process or eminent like a no hitter. It is all about the $$$.

It also dawned on me that as I watch the current mlb auction for a Kris Bryant Jackie Robinson day jersey climb above $4k, he could wear one jersey a game and perhaps even throw in a bat and sell the combo for $4k per game and after 162 games, he would earn $648k, just shy of his $652k salary. What would stop any player or team from doing this today? Trout? Harper? Kershaw? That day can't be far off.

lakeerie92
04-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Nothing is stopping them, except how supply and demand works. If they sold 162 jerseys they wouldn't all go for $4k.

Besides, Majestic can't support that happening for every team. There is already nearly a one month delay to get jerseys whenever a large order is put in. The strain of making jersey for 30 teams especially with the increase of some of these single game wear jerseys will prevent that from happening.

allstarsplus
04-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Nothing is stopping them, except how supply and demand works. If they sold 162 jerseys they wouldn't all go for $4k.

Besides, Majestic can't support that happening for every team. There is already nearly a one month delay to get jerseys whenever a large order is put in. The strain of making jersey for 30 teams especially with the increase of some of these single game wear jerseys will prevent that from happening.

I can tell you from running a game used store for a team that we did 15 jerseys for the top player in a year and if you are looking for use stick to the road jerseys. They are tougher to pull.

Supply and demand is a big thing. You would kill the market and it's not fair to collectors doing 162 jerseys.

You could absolutely sell 162 jerseys of Harper and Trout but at what price? What happens if they go 0-4? You really want to pull significant jerseys.

Some NFL teams do 32 jerseys as they have players changing jerseys at halftime. It's a problem knowing what you are getting.