PDA

View Full Version : Bat manufacture date question

Dhesketh
04-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Still newer to collecting and I have a question about player ordering characteristics.

Picked up a Robinson cano bat a bit ago with a manufacture date of late January. I assume this is the first order of bats for him to use in spring training, but does that necessarily mean it's a spring training bat? Does the first order of bats carry over to the beginning of the regular season, or do players generally order a new batch for when the season starts?

I've search and can't find any hard info on this. Considering I've got a few bats from other players made around May, I figured a player would used the first batch until they got low and reorder mid season. But I've got no idea if that's the way it works.

Any info would be helpful,
Thanks.

lakeerie92
04-22-2016, 08:01 PM
I have had dozens of bats that were manufactured in January that were broken later in the year during the actual season.

Dhesketh
04-23-2016, 03:49 AM
Appreciate it, thanks.

dangerzone79
04-23-2016, 03:16 PM
To add to the point, I have bats that were ordered in spring of one year and used the following season. A different calendar year. So the date stamp means nothing.

sox83cubs84
04-23-2016, 09:17 PM
To add to the point, I have bats that were ordered in spring of one year and used the following season. A different calendar year. So the date stamp means nothing.

I received bats like this from players twice (both Rawlings). Brant Brown gave me a 1998 Cubs bat late in the 1999 season, by which time he was with Pittsburgh. Also, Moises Alou, in his first year as a Cub, gave me a bat issued during his final season with Houston.

Dave Miedema