PDA

View Full Version : Luis Aparicio bat question.

scottanservitz
12-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello forum readers. I have a question about a game used 1961-1964 HB Aparaicio s44 game used bat I found. It is authenticated by Mears with a grade of A6. On the knob there is a red X, and on top of that is a 15 in black marker. The seller and I were wondering if Aparicio could have used it? Does anyone know if he X'd out his bats for identification purposes? He was 11 and would he use the X to know it was his? We researched and the only 15 he would have played with would be Cal McLish, (pitcher). The asking price is $1,000 which is a bit under the BOOK price. I researched auction magazines and anything I can find to see how the knobs of Aparicio bats looked. I can't find anything. My question is is this a good price to acquire such a piece. Most 60's HOF bats end up in major auctions and are relatively hard to come by. Any forum members have any insight into to this? Thanks for reading and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all! -Scott

JimCaravello
12-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi Scott - I remember seeing that bat this year in one of the auctions. I am no Aparicio expert, but that bat most likely was used by #15 - McLish. The X could refer to anything - it might be that the bat became a pitcher's bat used by various pitcher's including McLish and the X on the knob denoted that. I don't know if Aparicio used X in any form as a knob indicator through his career, but I have seen Aparicio bats with the proper number on the knob. Regardless of the MEARS Grade - that bat should be 34 1/2" long and weigh 32 ounces. Aparicio only ordered S44 bats once during the 61-64 time period - that was January 30, 1961. He ordered that model quite frequently in the late 50's as well as into 1960. Aparicio bats as you mentioned are not that readily available - and you should weigh all this into your decision to buy. I personally do not buy pieces that have wrong uniform numbers on the knob - but that's me. I know some collectors where that doesn't bother them. That's really a personal preference.

Lastly - you may want to e-mail Mike Specht - or Mike, if you read this, maybe you have more info on Aparicio?

Good luck and Happy Holidays! Jim Caravello

scottanservitz
12-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated! Happy Holidays! -Scott

ChrisCavalier
12-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Hello Scott & Jim-

Jim - Thank you for providing all the information in your post. That was tremendously helpful.

Scott - Would you mind posting the length and weight of the bat as well as the other factors which led to the A6 grade? Given the various aspects of the bat, it would probably be helpful to all of us in the collecting community to understand more about the grading process.

Finally, regarding a good price, excluding the most recent auctions which need to be added to our database, our data from public sale transactions over the last 6 years show the price one could typically expect to pay for a 1961-64 Aparicio bat would probably be somewhere around $2,000. Regarding that price point, an S188 model 1961-64 Aparicio bat sold in MastroNet in 2000 for $1,937 including the premium. Notably, grading has been a more recent phenomenon so the bat sold in 2000 did not have a grade. If more graded Aparicio bats come to market that would obviously provide more detailed data for bats with specific grades.

Hope that helps and Happy Holidays.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

beni0016
12-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Scott,
I agree with Jim's comments. A bat with a mis-matched number would generally bring substantially less than one with the correct player's uniform number or even no number at all. From my end, I am more interested in whether or not a particular player actually used a bat as opposed to whose name is on the barrel. I think that is becoming the prevailing view in the hobby. That having been said, there still is substantial interest in 1950s-60s HOF players bats even with mis-matched numbers. For many it is a less expensive alternative to getting a HOF palyers bat with all matching use characteristics.

In terms of the X on the knob, it could mean several things. I don't believe that you mentioned whether or not the bat was cracked. However, I have spoken with one batboy from the late 60s and early 70s who indicated that it was common practice to either blacken the knob out or place an X on the knob once a bat was cracked to identify as being cracked so it would not errantly be brought to the plate again.

Hope that helps...good luck with the Aparicio bat!

Regards,
Andy
www.vintagebats.com

MSpecht
12-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi all, and Merry Christmas.

I'm sorry that I read this post a little late, but will put out a few thoughts now since I can't bear to watch the Chiefs beat up the Chargers any more today. I agree with the info and opinions offered by both Jim and Andy. I would add that, relative to the label period, that the defining characteristic of the 1961-63 labeling period, before the 1964 transition year, is the smaller version of REG.U.S.PAT. OFF. found beneath the center oval. That label version also appeared on a minority of professional H & B bats made in 1960, toward the end of the season. In addition to the order cited by Jim of 1/30/61 which measures 34.5 inches / 32 ounces, Aparicio's last two orders of S44 models in 1960 were made in August, 1960, with the last being shipped on 8/29/60. Of those two orders, six bats were 34.5 inches / 32 ounces, and six bats were 34 inches / 31 ounces. Those orders could possibly have the new labeling described above. (Note: # 15 for the Sox in 1960 was pitcher Ken McBride).

Regardless, I think the most that can be said for this bat is that it is a professional model bat, manufactured by Hillerich & Bradsby, with specifications close to those known to be used by the player whose name appears on the barrel, in this case Luis Aparicio. Given the number on the knob, # 15, and the date of the 1961 order, January 1961 (a spring training order) I believe it is difficult to place this specific bat into Aparicio's hands during a regular season Major League game.

The price would certainly be very attractive for an Aparicio game-used bat, and possibly is an attractive alternative as a professional model Aparicio bat as describer. Actually, if the bat could be placed into Cal McLish's hands, it might be cool to have a game-used bat from the Major League player with the longest name appearing on his birth certificate -- Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish, but probably not $1000 cool.

Again, Happy Holidays to all and good luck in future collecting.

Mike

ironmanfan
12-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Actually, I think "Dirty" Al Gallagher has the longest given name in baseball history....Alan Mitchell Edward George Patrick Henry Gallagher. Happy Holidays to all!

scottanservitz
12-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks, guys for some very imformative info. As I don't have the papers I do believe Jim's specs apply on the grade sheet. The bat is uncracked, but does show some grain separation on the barrel. It has ball marks and shows good game use. The grades given if memory serves me right are 5 pts. for factory records, 3 pts. for moderate game use, and -2pts. for wrong number on the knob. I actually thought the same things as you guys did about Luis actually using this bat as well. As far as price goes, I believe it would bring a bit more in a major auction house auction, but after consignment fees and such, would probably yield close to $1,000 net profit for the consignor. It is a cool piece, though. And as far as the name thing, we all got a good laugh at McLish's name, too, as we looked him up in the Encylopedia for Major League players. The shop owner remembered his full name, or close to it before we looked him up. Anyway, it was fun researching the piece while me and my brother and a friend of ours were doing the hobby thing over Christmas vacation! Thanks again fellas for all the insight. I will never buy a game used piece for my collection without gaining insight from this fabulous forum. Again, Happy Holidays to everyone and onto eBay to spend my $75 gift certificate Santa brought me! -Scott