PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's 1972 Signed Baseball Help

sek122482
05-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Just picked up this baseball at a flea market and was advertised as a 1972 Oakland A's team signed ball. My first question is does the ball look legit? I know its a National League ball for some reason but how do the signatures look?

Second, I am having trouble determining when this ball is from. It has Mike Epstein and Mateo Alou who were with the A's in 1972 but traded in November. However the ball also has Wes Stock who from what I can tell joined the team as a pitching coach in 1973.

Lastly, does anyone know what the marking is inside the spalding logo that looks like a "25".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
sek122482@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
05-05-2016, 06:31 PM
In the photoshowing the Spalding logo, I see Angel Mangual, Rollie Fingers, Ted Kubiak and Bert Campaneris above Stock.

The photo to its direct right shows Irv Noren (coach), Matty Alou, Jim (Catfish) Hunter, John (Blue Moon) Odom, Darold Knowles, Dick Green, Mike Hegan and Dave Hamilton.

The photo below them shows Mike Epstein, Dal Maxvill, Gene Tenace, and (maybe) Reggie Jackson (Reggie used to often used shortened versions of his name when signing in that era).

Bottom photo, you have Dick Williams (manager) in the sweet spot, and, to the left, between Stock and the seam are two more coaches, Bill Posedel and Jerry Adair.

I hope this helps.

Dave Miedema

sek122482
05-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks! Really appreciate the help!

sox83cubs84
05-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Happy to do it.

Dave M.