• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisCavalier
    Paid Users
    • Jan 1970

The Emergence of Ticket Collecting

Hey Everyone,

I ran across the article linked below and was wondering if anyone here has experience with ticket collecting. I also found this quote from the article to be interesting:

Glaser compares tickets to game-used items. "People collect jerseys and bats that are game-used, and I think a ticket very much falls in the same category," he said. "A ticket is a remembrance of an event."

Do you guys agree with that categorization? Also, if you collect tickets, what do you have in your collection? Would be cool to see.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions
  • HawaiiSportsNut
    • Dec 2009

Re: The Emergence of Ticket Collecting

I have every ticket from Kolten Wong's game that he hit a homerun in his rookie year. Categorizing tickets as game used may not be the correct term, because what about people that collect tickets from concerts or other non-sports events.

Perhaps you may say game used ticket collecting if it pertains to sports & event ticket collecting if it is a non-sport event.

This a very interesting topic.
    sigpic

Comment

• BirdsOnBat
      • Sep 2014

I have 2. Brock setting the SB record and Game 7 of the 1946 World Series.

Comment

• ajenks3378
        • Jan 2014

I am actually featured in that article...

I have a ticket stub to every game (Football, hockey, basketball, baseball, etc.) i have ever went to...
        Also every concert.
        I like to flip through my binder and remember the games or concerts i went to.

That expanded my interest to collecting them as a hobby. I collect mostly Indians tickets. Ticket stubs or unused to events or rare occurrences that have happened for the Indians.
        World Series, All Star Games, No-Hitters, 6 Hit games, etc.
        It is a search that never ends because tickets were expendable where cards were kept more frequently.
        So if anyone has any Indians tickets that they are looking to move feel free to send me an email or message. Or if you are just curious about getting into it message me.
        I also collect Indians game used jerseys.
        Andy

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
          Paid Users
          • Jan 1970

Originally posted by ajenks3378
          I am actually featured in that article...
          I knew there were a bunch of celebrities on GUU
          Very nice that you are featured in the article Andy!

Personally, I think tickets are a closer relative to the trading card family but I also see how some people might consider it "used" to the extent that it actually relates to a specific game.

Would love to hear the thoughts of others on the topic as well as hear more about others' experiences and collections.

-Chris
          Christopher Cavalier

Comment

• helf35
            • Jul 2013

With the increase in technology they could become more limited and further increase in value. A large quantity of people print tickets at home or now the popular thing to do is use your phone. Anyone know if teams offer the season ticket packages with full downloaded tickets? I wonder if there will be a time when teams scrap them all together?

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
              Paid Users
              • Jan 1970

Originally posted by helf35
              With the increase in technology they could become more limited and further increase in value. A large quantity of people print tickets at home or now the popular thing to do is use your phone. Anyone know if teams offer the season ticket packages with full downloaded tickets? I wonder if there will be a time when teams scrap them all together?
              Very good point! Tickets as we have known them in the past may one day become obsolete.
              Who knows, maybe one day there will be some form of digital ticket collecting.
              If so, traditional paper tickets could increase in value as you have speculated.

-Chris
              Christopher Cavalier

Comment

• STLCardinalscollector
                • Jan 2009

I have been collecting tickets along with everything else (ie TOO MUCH) for quite awhile. I have several 3000 hit game tickets, some 400, 500 HR tickets several Cardinals WS tickets, most opening day tickets from Busch stadium 3, almost every game I've ever been to, unless it's a email ticket.
                My best ticket is Stan the Man's last game ( full ticket ) framed with last game scorecard.

David

Always looking for Cardinals GU, and unusual.

Comment

• TigersCubs84
                  • Feb 2015

I don't believe tickets are in the game used category. That being said, I have quite a few odds and ends. I like the colorful look on some, the older style on others, etc. A couple favs are a 1997 M vs. OSU complete fb ticket from M's National Championship team, and a Game 6 ticket from the 2011World series. I might add, my all time favorite is one I do not own. It is pictured in the link in the original post, the 71 All Star game in Detroit. A thing of beauty. Thanks for starting this thread.

Comment

• ajenks3378
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by helf35
                    Every year I have to pay extra just to get printed tickets for the indians season openers...
                    The indians don't "print" tickets anymore everything is digital...
                    So when Kluber struck out 18 last year I had a very hard time locating a physical ticket to purchase...
                    Andy

Comment

• GoCrazyFolks76
                      • Mar 2015

I collect tickets from Cardinals big events (World Series, Record breaking games, last games, etc...).

I feel like it's actually easier now days to nicely display tickets thanks to companies like That's My Ticket, that make affordable frames to display the tickets in - like this one:

Comment

• woody1351
                        • Dec 2008

I save all my tickets, that's why I hate online tickets. I want hard copy tickets.

Comment

• Dewey2007
                          • Dec 2007

I started collecting Willie Stargell HR ticket stubs awhile back. At first I was planning to try and collect all of his HR tickets but that seemed pretty daunting after awhile so I decided to concentrate on 1971, 1973, & 1979 plus other major milestone tix from his career. I hope to put together some displays of the Stargell HR stubs from those years since those were years he won HR titles and the MVP.

I also try to collect ticket stubs of other players from my hometown so it's been cool adding ticket stubs to complement my overall Alameda sports collection.

Ticket stub collecting seems pretty niche and personal. The thing about stubs is there were only a finite amount printed unlike trading cards and not many survived especially from a long time ago so they can be pretty rare as the prices for some of them attest.
                          sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                            Paid Users
                            • Jan 1970

Man, it's really nice to hear about people's experiences and opinions as well as about their collections. I hope others share as well.

-Chris
                            Christopher Cavalier

Comment

• ironmanfan
                              • Sep 2005

I've always enjoyed ticket collecting, whether it be significant games in Cal Ripken's career, or games in which he has homered...I also enjoy collecting tickets from historic Oriole games as well. As an example back in 1991, where four Oriole pitchers contributed to a No-Hitter in Oakland, after the I wrote the A's and they were kind enough to send me a full ticket to the game. Afterwards, I set out to obtain the autographs of all four hurlers on it & have fond memories of getting that done as well...This very well may be the only ticket signed by all

Comment

Working...