PDA

View Full Version : ADRIAN BELTRE Game Used 2015 Cycle Helmet...should I get it autographed?

David Murphy collector
05-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Hey guys. I own the helmet Beltre wore when he hit for the cycle last year. He also wore it before that game as well as into the postseason. I've matched it to multiple HR's and its definitely one of the highlights of my collection. I've been thinking of having it signed, but I'd like opinions on it. If I ever decide to sell it, do y'all think the signature will increase or decrease the value? I probably wouldn't send it off to have the auto authenticated. I'd be to worried about getting it back lol. Any opinions will be appreciated!

emann
05-21-2016, 11:58 AM
That's an awesome helmet—congrats! I think it depends on your personal preference, but I wouldn't have it signed. Minimally, I'd hold onto it until I could get it signed in-person . . . That said, I'm a little biased: I have had a few prize items that didn't get great signatures on them. I've basically decided to not get one-of-a-kind things (GU helmets/jerseys/bats) signed anymore.

As far as value, I don't think it does much for the value overall to get it signed. The real value is in your photomatching to the the cycle, HRs, postseason, etc.

Juicyfruit66
05-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Just my view but I think sigs boost team issued items cause it links them to that item. For game used u don't need to link them to it. Also depends on if ur focus is on game used items or on sigs.

thomaslynch
05-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I personally like my GU items autographed. For me it just adds more to the piece. I know there have been other threads on the matter and it really just comes down to personal preference. I don't think the value is really affected either way unless the signature is awful or bleeds on a jersey. So there is more risk associated with value when you get an item signed. In my opinion, helmets look really nice signed across the brim as long as you can get it signed in a controlled environment to better your chances of getting a nice autograph. Either way, it is a nice piece!

thomaslynch
05-21-2016, 12:22 PM
I think it would also help that Beltre has a really pretty signature.

memorabiliaunlimited
05-21-2016, 09:17 PM
that helmet looks familiar :). awesome piece. i think the signature adds value if done on the right location - across the brim. good luck!

David Murphy collector
05-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to hold off of getting it signed. As of now, I don't plan on selling it, but even if I ever decide to, I don't want to take a chance on getting a sloppy signature on it. I haven't had any luck meeting Beltre anyway so....lol!

sorklora
05-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to hold off of getting it signed. As of now, I don't plan on selling it, but even if I ever decide to, I don't want to take a chance on getting a sloppy signature on it. I haven't had any luck meeting Beltre anyway so....lol!

Great helmet! I almost pulled the trigger on that, but couldn't afford it at the time. As an avid Beltre collector with numerous items and game used items signed (balls, bats, locker plates, mini gold gloves, etc.) I say you HAVE to get this signed! He has one of the best sigs in the game! I also like getting all of my game used items signed, but I don't do jerseys, just bats, balls, helmets, and caps, and all of those look good if using the right pen. I would definitely do it in person and he signs at the games sometimes, or before games going into the stadium on the road. I've found if you bring a rare item like a bat or helmet, it catches his attention. I've also used a sign before which brought him over to sign. He takes his time, even at games, so it would look great. I'd recommend using a Bic paint marker...it won't fail like the Decco paint pens, and is more bold than a sharpie. I've also had luck getting Beltre to inscribe "Game used" and the year on my items, so that would make it even more special. I even got a ball used in his 3rd cycle game signed and inscribed by him as "3rd career cycle."

I really believe getting autos on items does increase the value, at least to me and other collectors I speak to. I only try and buy game used stuff already signed, and if not signed yet, I adjust my offer accordingly as some players are tough to get in person.

If you can't get him at the games, do to FanFest next year. They do a lottery system with scratch off cards, and if you don't get Beltre, you can always pay for or trade some stuff to get his winning card.

I hop you get it signed and if so, please post photos!!

If you ge a chance, contact me at: nickdr13@gmail.com Since we are both Rangers fans, we may be able to help one another find some items.

GoCrazyFolks76
05-24-2016, 11:10 AM
I think it would also help that Beltre has a really pretty signature.

I actually think this is a great point.

If a player has a sloppy signature, or just a couple of chicken scratches that he uses for his autograph, I think it can make a nice piece look like crap. But if a player signs and it's actually legible, then it can make a piece display that much nicer.

David Murphy collector
05-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks so much for the info! I sent you an email

David Murphy collector
06-19-2016, 01:13 AM
Well, I got it signed today! Im not sure if he heard me ask him to inscribe it "game use" or not, but he didn't. Better than nothing though

David Murphy collector
06-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Got it signed yesterday! I'm not sure if he heard me ask, but he didn't inscribe it as game used, but the auto is better than nothing

David Murphy collector
06-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Dang....didn't think the first post actually posted.....don't know how to delete the other lol