PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Auction

Danny899
05-27-2016, 12:00 AM
Very pleased with the results of the recent Grey Flannel auction! Both as a consignor and buyer. Great auction with many rare pieces. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Phil316
05-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Interesting.

I think when items from an auction company get called out continuously at every auction that raises a red flag to me. Regardless of the company, ethics plays a big part for me. I am not going to support companies that are less than honest.

To each their own though.

BirdsOnBat
05-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Interesting.

I think when items from an auction company get called out continuously at every auction that raises a red flag to me. Regardless of the company, ethics plays a big part for me. I am not going to support companies that are less than honest.

To each their own though.

This. Also I checked the prices out of curiosity when I woke up at 7am est the following day and it was still open. I'm under the assumption they go to sleep and then close the thing when they wake up seeing as how it's an east coast company.

GoCrazyFolks76
05-27-2016, 11:29 AM
I agree with Birds - they have a 10-minute rule in place - i.e., all lots remain open until 10 minutes have passed with no bids, then all lots close at once. Strange how other big auction houses have a 15 minute rule and generally close the auctions around 4 or 5 am, but with GF's 10 minute rule, they are somehow able to get enough bids every 10 minutes to keep the auction open until 9am?!?!

Seems a little fishy to me.

seanbaseball
05-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Very pleased with the results of the recent Grey Flannel auction! Both as a consignor and buyer. Great auction with many rare pieces. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

LOL Thanks for the advertisement! Next time try to be a little less obvious!

JackHE
05-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Actually I thought some of the prices were pretty "light" so not sure I would have been too happy if I had been a consignor.

JE

jbean023
05-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Depending on what he sent in I will agree with the OP. I didn't cosign to this auction and Ive actually never cosigned to GF. I won 4 items from this auction that I'm very happy with the prices. There was also items that I thought to myself really someone paid that much for that. I will agree with Birds and say closing the next day I don't even know when I think it was 9-10 MTN time is ridiculous.

You just have to do your homework like with any game used item. I personally have found more mis labeled or bad items with mlb holograms than we have auction house items on here and everyone loves that mlb hologram. These people that are anti this place and anti that place crack me up but everyone has an opinion and I'm okay with that. The members on here have picked out bad items from EVERY major auction house. Yes I do believe Ken does the best job addressing them with this community, but in a larger scale what percentage of bidders do you think we make up? The majority of auction houses will address the items and if the item is deemed bad they will pull it eventually. To me all the major auction houses are all pretty competitive in pricing I will see some items that I'm thinking they really paid that for this and I'm thinking that's all someone paid for that.

If you bring up Lou Lampson on here everyone cringes but the thing is Lou Lampson didn't become Lou Lampson in this hobby without some great items. Do I think he did the collecting community wrong along with a ton of other people/companies in this hobby, yes but that's not going to stop me from buying an item that fits my collection or if cheaper than what I feel is market price. The majority of collectors on here live in the US and buy from crooks on a daily basis whether its clothes, shoes, cars, food, ect. I collect Jordan shoes and the average cost to make a pair of Jordans is 10-20$, selling them at 200$ plus is a crime to me. Some collectors on here would never buy a thing with a LL LOA, I own 1 item a LL LOA and I'm happy with it. This goes with the majority of companies that have a bad name, they have some bad items but they have some great ones if you do your homework you will be happy with your purchase. That's enough with my rant, have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Phil316
05-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Depending on what he sent in I will agree with the OP. I didn't cosign to this auction and Ive actually never cosigned to GF. I won 4 items from this auction that I'm very happy with the prices. There was also items that I thought to myself really someone paid that much for that. I will agree with Birds and say closing the next day I don't even know when I think it was 9-10 MTN time is ridiculous.

You just have to do your homework like with any game used item. I personally have found more mis labeled or bad items with mlb holograms than we have auction house items on here and everyone loves that mlb hologram. These people that are anti this place and anti that place crack me up but everyone has an opinion and I'm okay with that. The members on here have picked out bad items from EVERY major auction house. Yes I do believe Ken does the best job addressing them with this community, but in a larger scale what percentage of bidders do you think we make up? The majority of auction houses will address the items and if the item is deemed bad they will pull it eventually. To me all the major auction houses are all pretty competitive in pricing I will see some items that I'm thinking they really paid that for this and I'm thinking that's all someone paid for that.

If you bring up Lou Lampson on here everyone cringes but the thing is Lou Lampson didn't become Lou Lampson in this hobby without some great items. Do I think he did the collecting community wrong along with a ton of other people/companies in this hobby, yes but that's not going to stop me from buying an item that fits my collection or if cheaper than what I feel is market price. The majority of collectors on here live in the US and buy from crooks on a daily basis whether its clothes, shoes, cars, food, ect. I collect Jordan shoes and the average cost to make a pair of Jordans is 10-20$, selling them at 200$ plus is a crime to me. Some collectors on here would never buy a thing with a LL LOA, I own 1 item a LL LOA and I'm happy with it. This goes with the majority of companies that have a bad name, they have some bad items but they have some great ones if you do your homework you will be happy with your purchase. That's enough with my rant, have a great Memorial Day weekend.

I don't really understand your logic or maybe i have higher morals than you. Either way to each his own.

CPuente57
05-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Definitely not wanting to cause any trouble, but I won an item in this auction as well (I won't bid on their in house stuff, but they had a PSA/DNA Game Used Bat that I was interested in so I went for it) doesn't mean I don't have any morals...c'mon now. Goldin Auctions just recently had a Bernard King gamer on their auction site that had a Basketball Hall of Fame letter with it, but if I recall those were issued with Grey Flannel LOA's when Grey Flannel was the official authenticators of the Hall of Fame. It might be under the BBall HOF letter, but it's word for word a copy of the description from Grey Flannel's LOA. I know this because a few years ago I won an item from them during their BBall hall of fame auction and it came with two LOA's...the Grey Flannel one and BBall HOF one, but there's no difference, same exact wording, only signed by the hall of fame. Does that make Goldin Auctions wrong for accepting a consignment with an LOA from them? You have your reasons for avoiding them, those that chose to win stuff have theirs, and that's fine like you said to each his own...I just don't think it's right to question someone morals over it

Phil316
05-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Definitely not wanting to cause any trouble, but I won an item in this auction as well (I won't bid on their in house stuff, but they had a PSA/DNA Game Used Bat that I was interested in so I went for it) doesn't mean I don't have any morals...c'mon now. Goldin Auctions just recently had a Bernard King gamer on their auction site that had a Basketball Hall of Fame letter with it, but if I recall those were issued with Grey Flannel LOA's when Grey Flannel was the official authenticators of the Hall of Fame. It might be under the BBall HOF letter, but it's word for word a copy of the description from Grey Flannel's LOA. I know this because a few years ago I won an item from them during their BBall hall of fame auction and it came with two LOA's...the Grey Flannel one and BBall HOF one, but there's no difference, same exact wording, only signed by the hall of fame. Does that make Goldin Auctions wrong for accepting a consignment with an LOA from them? You have your reasons for avoiding them, those that chose to win stuff have theirs, and that's fine like you said to each his own...I just don't think it's right to question someone morals over it

I understand what your saying. Maybe that was a bad way to word it to jbean023. I was trying to say that for me and my collection I try and avoid certain situations that could be an issue in the future.

jbean023
05-28-2016, 02:00 AM
I don't really understand your logic or maybe i have higher morals than you. Either way to each his own.

Morals!!! Are you kidding me for one I said do your homework on anything that is purchased. If this is the case of buying from GF that you have more morals than me, then you're calling out the majority of the collecting community. You constantly call out and cry about Scot Monette, well Goldin has sold many of his collections recently that he has picked up and so have a lot of other auction houses so since they sell items from Scot you better not buy from any auction house.

There's current threads with Dave M admitting wrong doing and I value Dave's opinion items but he's a man and admits he made a mistake so based on your opinion we better not buy anything with Dave's name on it. If you do you don't have morals or logic.

Lelands auction is selling a jersey that is GAME USED (MLB hologram) by Bryce Harper and there is speculation this jersey was not actually worn during the game. If this was worn during warm ups or bp this is not a game used jersey. An actual game time recognizes from first pitch until the last out is made so a game used item should be used in this timeframe. MLB Auctions just sold a game used Nolan Arenado Mothers Day bat that was a Rawlings, I haven't watch the game yet but from Getty photos I only see a pink Old Hickory so another mistake. I have countless examples of these with mlb. So from your opinion I have no logic and no morals since I buy items with mlb holos and they have questionable items.

NFL Auctions was called out countless times on this forum for game used jerseys that were not used in the game they were authenticated to, more questionable items and no morals and logic from me because I buy from them.

Many players have been called out on their own items and being questionable or not at all what they think, so no buying direct from players.

So this basically leaves you with making your own game used items, I hope that's going well for you. The thing is I'm a realist about the times that we live in and how things work.

Let me guess Mr. 316 you're a big church goer, well let me tell you there is just as much corruption in church system as anything else. Well I do practice religion so I guess I have no logic and no morals since I associate myself with this.

Phil316
05-28-2016, 02:37 AM
Morals!!! Are you kidding me for one I said do your homework on anything that is purchased. If this is the case of buying from GF that you have more morals than me, then you're calling out the majority of the collecting community. You constantly call out and cry about Scot Monette, well Goldin has sold many of his collections recently that he has picked up and so have a lot of other auction houses so since they sell items from Scot you better not buy from any auction house.

There's current threads with Dave M admitting wrong doing and I value Dave's opinion items but he's a man and admits he made a mistake so based on your opinion we better not buy anything with Dave's name on it. If you do you don't have morals or logic.

Lelands auction is selling a jersey that is GAME USED (MLB hologram) by Bryce Harper and there is speculation this jersey was not actually worn during the game. If this was worn during warm ups or bp this is not a game used jersey. An actual game time recognizes from first pitch until the last out is made so a game used item should be used in this timeframe. MLB Auctions just sold a game used Nolan Arenado Mothers Day bat that was a Rawlings, I haven't watch the game yet but from Getty photos I only see a pink Old Hickory so another mistake. I have countless examples of these with mlb. So from your opinion I have no logic and no morals since I buy items with mlb holos and they have questionable items.

NFL Auctions was called out countless times on this forum for game used jerseys that were not used in the game they were authenticated to, more questionable items and no morals and logic from me because I buy from them.

Many players have been called out on their own items and being questionable or not at all what they think, so no buying direct from players.

So this basically leaves you with making your own game used items, I hope that's going well for you. The thing is I'm a realist about the times that we live in and how things work.

Let me guess Mr. 316 you're a big church goer, well let me tell you there is just as much corruption in church system as anything else. Well I do practice religion so I guess I have no logic and no morals since I associate myself with this.

Allright well since you are a "realist" I will leave you to it. Sounds like you got all the angles covered.

Phil316
05-28-2016, 03:17 AM
Before I leave you to it I just wanna say one more thing. It was never my intention to call into question your morals. I suck with wording as its not my strong suit.

mad87man
05-28-2016, 07:54 AM
There was a Jets Willig jersey in the auction from 1993. The jets wore a patch the whole year, I emailed them asking if it was pre season worn or the patch was removed and never got an answer. Oh well. Kept money in my pocket

Danny899
05-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello Everyone,
I don't visit or post here nearly as much as I once did. Usually it's only just to see Dave Miedema's posts. There's still always so much to learn from him. And the most ironic, yet wonderful thing about Dave is that he probably knows way more about this hobby than any of us. Yet he is by far, the most humble of all the members here. He won't ever discredit an item for some ridiculous non factor reason simply because he doesn't like a particular auction house. That's clearly evident here with many other posters. Instead, his valuable posts often get lost amongst the many egos and self proclaimed experts here. And apparently, even our morals are expected to be graded and added into the equation now. Personally, I actually like GF alot. As I mentioned earlier, I was very happy with their recent auction, having consigned and bidding on several items. I understand that some dislike GF and that's ok. But to trash them and their items redundantly gets tiresome after a while.

Danny899
05-28-2016, 01:24 PM

Couldn't agree more!

sox83cubs84
05-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Hello Everyone,
I don't visit or post here nearly as much as I once did. Usually it's only just to see Dave Miedema's posts. There's still always so much to learn from him. And the most ironic, yet wonderful thing about Dave is that he probably knows way more about this hobby than any of us. Yet he is by far, the most humble of all the members here. He won't ever discredit an item for some ridiculous non factor reason simply because he doesn't like a particular auction house. That's clearly evident here with many other posters. Instead, his valuable posts often get lost amongst the many egos and self proclaimed experts here. And apparently, even our morals are expected to be graded and added into the equation now. Personally, I actually like GF alot. As I mentioned earlier, I was very happy with their recent auction, having consigned and bidding on several items. I understand that some dislike GF and that's ok. But to trash them and their items redundantly gets tiresome after a while.

Dan:

Thanks for the kind words...all the way back to the SCD Frank Barning column back in the day.

Dave M.

Danny899
05-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Dan:

Thanks for the kind words...all the way back to the SCD Frank Barning column back in the day.

Dave M.

That's right! The article they did about my Rickey Henderson gamer collection where I mentioned you as a mentor. You remembered that! That was over 20 years ago. You should see the collection now! Nice to hear from you, Dave. You're the best!