PDA

View Full Version : Rawlings Patch Logos

3arod13
07-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know of a website that may show the Rawlings patch logo for major league gloves, and the changes made year-by-year? Most importantly, when did they add the small R with the circle around it trademark? Thanks!

3arod13
07-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know of a website that may show the Rawlings patch logo for major league gloves, and the changes made year-by-year? Most importantly, when did they add the small R with the circle around it trademark? Thanks!

Trying to determine what year they added the large R under Rawlings on the square patch and the trademark r (with circle) on the round path.

gobills123
07-15-2016, 01:27 PM
This.... is kinda a question that cant really be answered with any certainty.
Its interesting to me because my 2 main hobbies are 80's/90's Bills jerseys, and 90's/early 2000's Rawlings baseball gloves- pro issued or not.
The one thing they both have in common, is the 1st rule is there are no rules.
You see some WEIRD things, and in both instances its due to transition. The jerseys are a bit different as they are often cobbled together. It wasnt all uniform as it is now and as the Bills would order multiple times from Champion and reuse yesteryears jerseys as well, you could see some pretty odd combos.
That, however is a different discussion because you asked about baseball gloves.... So, heres the deal....
around 1998/1999 Rawlings started moving their production from their Ava plant to the Philippines. Former glove maker/designer stated that the idea was basically to make the move before people noticed. All USA made gloves had a distinct 'bowl' type shape to them. The also had a made in usa logo under the bull HOH logo, as well as a small made in usa word mark on the bottom of the wrist tag (which, was a piece of cloth). During the transition, you could buy a version of the same glove.... lets use Arod/Ripkens glove of choice the 6HF (until arod changed to the rv23, named after robin ventura- which was a copy of his old louisville slugger pattern) as an example. Its an antiquated pattern now, and as its no longer made and it sells for BIG $$ accordingly. ANY version, game used, game issued, or just a normal retail version. Even the remake is a tough find. This was just known as the PRO6hf. Once production moved over seas, the pattern was 'updated' and a new dye was made. Gloves from over seas didnt have the bowl shape. So, for a period of time you could buy a 6hf that was 'retooled' as well as a version that was made in the USA but was marked PRO6hfd (d standing for domestic) and was still branded with the usa mark. Different combos of labels new/old versions exist BUT these all this had the nickel logo and cloth wrist patch. Once production moved overseas, around 2001 they revamped the logo. The cloth wrist patch was modified and was actually made to be more of a PATCH (which is the short answer to your most important question although it could be on gloves here and there a year or maybe slightly more earlier and later), and the old circle 'nickel' R logo was made into more of a oval and sewn. It was still quite large however. That lasted for about as year until it was again modified to a smaller oval, that basically filled the whole instead of being raised up like the previous 2 versions.
From what I can tell, the mini R on the I web was added mid 2000's. There are exceptions however. Generally, the change was made around the same time they started using the BLACKHORSE dating code and went to the dots. If you see a glove using the DOT dating system, this is that period where gloves were being made both here and there, and really anything goes. Some patterns were being made before and were made for a few years after too. Mcgwire's cmhcb2 is a good example of this. There are USA versions, and then there are Phily versions too. Generally, when the gloves were retooled, they were made to be bulked up are more modern. Thicker inserts were used in the thumb and pinkies, as well as the new dyes prevented the palm creases a lot of these had due to their bowl shape.
Gloves could still be made in the USA for 2 parties after the late 90's early 2000's.... and as a game used/worn site, this can trip you up. Bob had a custom shop in STL, that made rawlings custom gloves for eastbay. This was an alt option to customs bought from abroad. These used the old USA dyes and they had a bowl shape and old school feel. Bob would make people favor gloves, using old nickel patches, custom stamping, gold or platinum labels, and in some cases recreated a players glove. He was smart enough to put a period or 2 after the players name so people would know they were not game worn.... Not that it stopped people. I have a mcgwire cmhc (retail version was cmhcb2) that was probably used as a display in a rawlings outlet that went out of business. Its an inch bigger than the retail model, and has a anchor in the pocket, which all retail versions were void of. Anyway, someone bought this, got it dirty, made it so it folds over, and picked the period after mcgwire out and sharpied over it. I can tell it wasnt used as it hadnt ever cought a ball ( faker didnt thick to break in the pocket lol) but this sold at least once as a gamer and for BIG $$$ to boot. Omar, McGwire, Arod, Ripken, Griffey, Hunter and other all still had Bob make their gamers in the USA and some used the old patches well after Rawlings had changed.

So, I've rambled a ton, and prob didnt make too much sense to anyon e who dosent collect - but there isnt just a straight answer. If this is confusing, I'd be happy to answer any questions I can, or provide pictures from my collection for examples. Cheers!

3arod13
07-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Great info and thanks for taking the time to do it.

I have been working with a Rawlings Representative, who has been helping me understand some of the history of Rawlings gloves. I’m trying to put as much info together as I can and will then eventually post it.

For a limited time (about 5 years) Rawlings used a dot system to date their gloves, which was for a short time span, which the rep said they believe it was from 1998-2002, but not to quote them on that.

What info I get, I will post.

3arod13
07-16-2016, 05:23 AM
This is the cloth patch you mentioned?

3arod13
07-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Anyone knowing of any good sites that covers Rawlings gloves, please let me know. My plan is to go back as far as I can.

3arod13
07-19-2016, 06:19 AM
This.... is kinda a question that cant really be answered with any certainty.
Its interesting to me because my 2 main hobbies are 80's/90's Bills jerseys, and 90's/early 2000's Rawlings baseball gloves- pro issued or not.
The one thing they both have in common, is the 1st rule is there are no rules.
You see some WEIRD things, and in both instances its due to transition. The jerseys are a bit different as they are often cobbled together. It wasnt all uniform as it is now and as the Bills would order multiple times from Champion and reuse yesteryears jerseys as well, you could see some pretty odd combos.
That, however is a different discussion because you asked about baseball gloves.... So, heres the deal....
around 1998/1999 Rawlings started moving their production from their Ava plant to the Philippines. Former glove maker/designer stated that the idea was basically to make the move before people noticed. All USA made gloves had a distinct 'bowl' type shape to them. The also had a made in usa logo under the bull HOH logo, as well as a small made in usa word mark on the bottom of the wrist tag (which, was a piece of cloth). During the transition, you could buy a version of the same glove.... lets use Arod/Ripkens glove of choice the 6HF (until arod changed to the rv23, named after robin ventura- which was a copy of his old louisville slugger pattern) as an example. Its an antiquated pattern now, and as its no longer made and it sells for BIG $$ accordingly. ANY version, game used, game issued, or just a normal retail version. Even the remake is a tough find. This was just known as the PRO6hf. Once production moved over seas, the pattern was 'updated' and a new dye was made. Gloves from over seas didnt have the bowl shape. So, for a period of time you could buy a 6hf that was 'retooled' as well as a version that was made in the USA but was marked PRO6hfd (d standing for domestic) and was still branded with the usa mark. Different combos of labels new/old versions exist BUT these all this had the nickel logo and cloth wrist patch. Once production moved overseas, around 2001 they revamped the logo. The cloth wrist patch was modified and was actually made to be more of a PATCH (which is the short answer to your most important question although it could be on gloves here and there a year or maybe slightly more earlier and later), and the old circle 'nickel' R logo was made into more of a oval and sewn. It was still quite large however. That lasted for about as year until it was again modified to a smaller oval, that basically filled the whole instead of being raised up like the previous 2 versions.
From what I can tell, the mini R on the I web was added mid 2000's. There are exceptions however. Generally, the change was made around the same time they started using the BLACKHORSE dating code and went to the dots. If you see a glove using the DOT dating system, this is that period where gloves were being made both here and there, and really anything goes. Some patterns were being made before and were made for a few years after too. Mcgwire's cmhcb2 is a good example of this. There are USA versions, and then there are Phily versions too. Generally, when the gloves were retooled, they were made to be bulked up are more modern. Thicker inserts were used in the thumb and pinkies, as well as the new dyes prevented the palm creases a lot of these had due to their bowl shape.
Gloves could still be made in the USA for 2 parties after the late 90's early 2000's.... and as a game used/worn site, this can trip you up. Bob had a custom shop in STL, that made rawlings custom gloves for eastbay. This was an alt option to customs bought from abroad. These used the old USA dyes and they had a bowl shape and old school feel. Bob would make people favor gloves, using old nickel patches, custom stamping, gold or platinum labels, and in some cases recreated a players glove. He was smart enough to put a period or 2 after the players name so people would know they were not game worn.... Not that it stopped people. I have a mcgwire cmhc (retail version was cmhcb2) that was probably used as a display in a rawlings outlet that went out of business. Its an inch bigger than the retail model, and has a anchor in the pocket, which all retail versions were void of. Anyway, someone bought this, got it dirty, made it so it folds over, and picked the period after mcgwire out and sharpied over it. I can tell it wasnt used as it hadnt ever cought a ball ( faker didnt thick to break in the pocket lol) but this sold at least once as a gamer and for BIG $$$ to boot. Omar, McGwire, Arod, Ripken, Griffey, Hunter and other all still had Bob make their gamers in the USA and some used the old patches well after Rawlings had changed.

So, I've rambled a ton, and prob didnt make too much sense to anyon e who dosent collect - but there isnt just a straight answer. If this is confusing, I'd be happy to answer any questions I can, or provide pictures from my collection for examples. Cheers!

Can you email me (arod13tb@yahoo.com)? I believe you can help me with some of the research I'm doing.

gobills123
07-19-2016, 09:46 AM
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160719_104718_zps7mwhygi6.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160719_104718_zps7mwhygi6.png.html)

Thats the cloth 'nickel' patch.
After that, before what is used today, they used a modified sewn patch. Its not as small and oval as they are now.

Here are the gloves I currently have on hand ranging from 91-current.
The top row is the evolution and different versions and years of the 6hf which arod and ripken used. Theres even a rodriquez auto glove in there, which is cool because its very late for a usa :)
The zipper web gloves are the RV23, which is what arod last used in the field.
That particular one is a pro dept version that is full mesh with super stiff horween leather... a nearly impossible find and one of my favorites.
The other models are Mcgwires model cmhcb and those are all different years and models, with a mcgwire game issued in the middle- my grail!!

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_205935_zpstomirqsz.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_205935_zpstomirqsz.jpg.html)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_210125_zpsgiykqmbd.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_210125_zpsgiykqmbd.jpg.html)

If you need any closeups, I've had around 70 gloves in and out from all years, most of which ive taken pics of so i can help you however I can.
Most people currently working at rawlings sadly, cant help very much as most were not around then. Bob clevenhagen could always help, but since he retired last year... they arent the best source for help oir reliable info.
I'll shoot ya an email

3arod13
07-19-2016, 10:21 AM
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160719_104718_zps7mwhygi6.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160719_104718_zps7mwhygi6.png.html)

Thats the cloth 'nickel' patch.
After that, before what is used today, they used a modified sewn patch. Its not as small and oval as they are now.

Here are the gloves I currently have on hand ranging from 91-current.
The top row is the evolution and different versions and years of the 6hf which arod and ripken used. Theres even a rodriquez auto glove in there, which is cool because its very late for a usa :)
The zipper web gloves are the RV23, which is what arod last used in the field.
That particular one is a pro dept version that is full mesh with super stiff horween leather... a nearly impossible find and one of my favorites.
The other models are Mcgwires model cmhcb and those are all different years and models, with a mcgwire game issued in the middle- my grail!!

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_205935_zpstomirqsz.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_205935_zpstomirqsz.jpg.html)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_210125_zpsgiykqmbd.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160715_210125_zpsgiykqmbd.jpg.html)

If you need any closeups, I've had around 70 gloves in and out from all years, most of which ive taken pics of so i can help you however I can.
Most people currently working at rawlings sadly, cant help very much as most were not around then. Bob clevenhagen could always help, but since he retired last year... they arent the best source for help oir reliable info.
I'll shoot ya an email

Nice collection of gloves!! Yes, I agree. I'm working with one person at Rawlings, but they do say each time after they provide me info "don't hold me to it" or "I believe that is correct." They definitely don't have a good historical record kept on gloves. Look forward to hearing from you!

gobills123
07-19-2016, 11:17 AM
I emailed ya bud, but you didnt remember why you had asked me to email you lol. Just trying to help. If all you need is a date of a glove, that shoukd be a piece of cake. Lmk..

3arod13
07-19-2016, 01:38 PM
I emailed ya bud, but you didnt remember why you had asked me to email you lol. Just trying to help. If all you need is a date of a glove, that shoukd be a piece of cake. Lmk..

Email sent

camarokids
07-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi Tony,

Here is a great thread on the dating of Rawlings Gloves.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35952&highlight=rawlings+code

3arod13
07-22-2016, 03:53 AM
Hi Tony,

Here is a great thread on the dating of Rawlings Gloves.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35952&highlight=rawlings+code

David, thanks!

camarokids
07-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Looking at my Rawlings Gloves, I would guess, that in 2000 or 2001 they switched to the oval R from the round R.

All of my gloves from 1999 or before have the round R. Everything 2001 and later have the oval.

I will post pics later on.

camarokids
07-22-2016, 01:43 PM
The Lamb has three dots for 1998. I bought the glove from former Devil Rays coach Greg Riddock's son. He said Lamb gave it to his dad in 1998. The Trammell and Kelly do not have a date code. Mike Kelly told me he used it while in Tampa Bay, I bought the glove directly from Mike Kelly.

The second pic has gloves dated 2001 and later.

gobills123
07-25-2016, 02:07 PM
LOVE IT!!!! Nice Collection!!!
I often find some of the cooler gloves I've had are from scrums!!
Right now I have a Mike Caruso 1998 pro-200-1 black 11.5 single post that is from right after the change. The pro-200 has become a VERY popluar pattern, but back then was in its infancy and was most common as a 200hc. This is the only black and single post one i've seen.
I had a Jason Grimsley that was marked as a gold glove, and had the old logos but was not a USA and felt like a HOH. It was REALLY unique.
I also had a scott livingstone pro1000hb that didnt have a palm crease that was just an amazing version of the popluar pro1000 series. SUPER stiff thumb and pinkie as im sure bob must have put the equivalent to chopsticks in them lol.
I find that the best way to get older usa 90s gloves in great shape is the pro issued ones of no namers. The name deters some guys but I dont care a bit. Its funny how glove guys are more about the model than who used it as well as condition.
GU guys want it to be trashed and are all about the name.... polar opposites in that regard.

camarokids
07-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks!

Here are the rest of my gloves. Currently have 21 with number 22 on the way.

A 2004 Ryan Baty glove used with the Single A Devil Rays affiliate, with team letter. The only glove I have that is not embroidered.

camarokids
07-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Front view of the 2014 Jose Molina and circa 1997 Kurt Abbott.

gobills123
07-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Some of my favorite game useds and game issued from over the years.
If anyone ever needs help, my IG handle is on one of the pics. Tons of gloves, jerseys, and sports pics.

Any who, here are some weird combos. Some have dates, some dont, some have the nickle logo and in somecases even years after they stopped being put on their retail gloves. Most gloves without dates were made by Bob and Bob could do whatever he wants when making pro gloves. Any stamping, variations, or patches were fair game. pretty cool stuff. (my favorite is the mcgwire)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153427_zpskx0dc4z6.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153427_zpskx0dc4z6.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153404_zpscox6ryp9.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153404_zpscox6ryp9.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153342_zps1fa2fsa6.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153342_zps1fa2fsa6.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153322_zpsuoeiuth1.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153322_zpsuoeiuth1.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160725-153152_zps0pgziroy.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160725-153152_zps0pgziroy.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153247_zps2bbqhdu2.png~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_153247_zps2bbqhdu2.png.html)

gobills123
07-25-2016, 03:38 PM
I've had well over 100 in and out over the past year... im just more of a rare model guy than gamer guy... but as that has its own separate forum, thats why i shared those pics :) Really fun hobby, just as game worn jerseys is.
not really a game issue as his name has the Q, but always a favorite...

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160725-165204_zps4agpewng.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160725-165204_zps4agpewng.jpg.html)

camarokids
07-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Very nice! I collect Devil Rays. I bought the Abbott glove cause we went to the same high school.

I have a bunch of store model gloves that I bought, just because they are cool....

3arod13
07-26-2016, 04:52 AM
[QUOTE=gobills123;397717]Most gloves without dates were made by Bob and Bob could do whatever he wants when making pro gloves. Any stamping, variations, or patches were fair game. pretty cool stuff. (my favorite is the mcgwire)

Bob at work!

gobills123
07-26-2016, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=gobills123;397717]Most gloves without dates were made by Bob and Bob could do whatever he wants when making pro gloves. Any stamping, variations, or patches were fair game. pretty cool stuff. (my favorite is the mcgwire)

Bob at work!

And a nice little bonus of a great example of anything goes.
That tan Biggio is cool because its got the post 2001 stamp with the oval R in the rawlings word mark - with the updated made in the usa stamp. Pretty cool!

gobills123
07-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Very nice! I collect Devil Rays. I bought the Abbott glove cause we went to the same high school.

I have a bunch of store model gloves that I bought, just because they are cool....

I think we spoke once. You had a hinske nike correct?

camarokids
07-26-2016, 10:08 AM
I think we spoke once. You had a hinske nike correct?

It was a Hinske Wilson's first baseman mitt.

3arod13
10-25-2016, 04:41 AM
Completed my research on Rawlings Fielding Gloves patches.