PDA

View Full Version : White Sox experts: explain this '92 Ventura

kingjammy24
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320079653214

no poly tag evident. no year/set strip tag. and a white sox loa.

any thoughts? at all? theories?

rudy.

hblakewolf
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Rudy-
A good number of White Sox jerseys have surfaced with team LOA's bearing the same sig. I've seen a few with collar tagging (retail) and also void of the 100% poly tags, all from the same individual. Possibly Reid can commnet on who the individual with the Sox is, as he had a star jersey with collar tagging and knows why their is an assrtment of tagging styles.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
The jerseys are coming from the personal collection of longtime White Sox Marketing Director, Rob Gallas (Gallas was either dismissed or resigned a few years back). I believe his son is selling the jerseys. The sheer quantity of jerseys has amazed me, as well as what seem to be many oddities and inconsistencies with some of the star jerseys. I just wonder how many of these jerseys were used for promotional purposes, not during actual games.

hblakewolf
02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
The jerseys are coming from the personal collection of longtime White Sox Marketing Director, Rob Gallas (Gallas was either dismissed or resigned a few years back). I believe his son is selling the jerseys. The sheer quantity of jerseys has amazed me, as well as what seem to be many oddities and inconsistencies with some of the star jerseys. I just wonder how many of these jerseys were used for promotional purposes, not during actual games.

Rob-
Thanks for the information. This is indeed the same person that Reid was dealing with and likewise, the same name that appears on the LOA's. Based on the individuals position within the Sox organization, it could very well be that these were intended for various promotional purposes and were never worn on the field of play.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
02-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Based on my communication with Chris Gallas, son of Rob, he had early access to all the White Sox "Garage Sales" which were held every winter at the park. I'm sure many of the jerseys came from there, but I would also imagine a team's Marketing Director would have pretty easy access to jerseys made up for photo shoots and personal appearances that very closely resemble those worn on the field. A lot of great stuff has come from Gallas' collection, but there have also been many oddities.

brian26
02-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Just some more thoughts on this jersey because I'm a big Sox fan.

The Sox had three slightly different versions of this jersey when it first came out in 1991.

In '91, the black jersey did not have the piping around the sleeves, but it did have a "Comiskey Park" patch on the sleeve.

In '92, the black jersey had the piping, but no "Comiskey Park" patch.

In '93, the black jersey was updated so the numbers, letters, and SOX logo got an extra silver outline around them to make them standout more. Also, the black diamond-sock logo was added to the sleeve.

The odd thing about this auction is that it is a '92 jersey with the '91 Comiskey patch. I know for a fact that patch wasn't worn in '92. This is absolutely not a game used jersey.

RobSteinmetz
02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Brian,

Wasn't the 1991 Comiskey patch a special Inaugural Season patch? I think this is the post-1991 version of the Comiskey patch.

Regardless, you are correct about the '92 alt Sox shirts having no Comiskey patch at all on the right sleeve.

karamaxjoe
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Rob and Brian,
You're right about the Inaugural year patch in 91. The Sox didn't have a Comiskey patch in 92 and started using the basic Comiskey patch in 93. The Ventura jersey on ebay has the basic Comiskey patch which wasn't introduced until 93. I guess it's possible Ventura wore the jersey in 93 but not likely. I own a consistent Ventura 92 black jersey and have pictures of it on my website.

To me it doesnt matter if you have a letter from Rob Gallas that says the jersey is good. The jersey has far too many problems.

Mike
www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/ (http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/)

brian26
02-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Mike and Rob-

The White Sox only wore the inaugural Comiskey Park patch on the black jerseys in '91. They never wore the regular Comiskey Park patch on the black jerseys after that season, ever. They only wore that regular Comiskey patch on the home pin stripe unis.

So you guys are saying it's the '93 regular patch on the '92 black uni. Still doesn't make any sense though.

kingjammy24
02-08-2007, 10:24 PM
the jersey has the diamond memorial on the sleeve. the diamond memorial was only worn in 1992. hence, it's extremely unlikely ventura wore it in 1993.

the jersey also has the standard/non-inaugural comisky patch that, as mike mentions, was first intro'd in 1993. however, the sox never wore this standard comisky patch on their black alternate jerseys. they always wore the diamond/sock patch on their black alts.

this is a frankenstein of a jersey. the team loa is worthless in this case. i'm unsure how the seller can "guarantee authenticity" on one of the most bizarre sox jerseys i've ever seen. i'm even more confused as to how the gallas' can say it was game used or even game issued.

for a proper 1992 sox black alt. jersey, see this current auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=13007779115

rudy.

Swoboda4
02-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Well the consensus is that this is not a game used jersey. Likewise the seller would have usually figured prominately in the discussion,not this time(Scared huh??,Afraid huh?-Ray Bolger) This would have been followed by a moderator reminding people to contact the seller for his input before commenting. So what up? This is about the 3rd or 4th Ventura jersey in 30 days from this seller with this type LOA. Where's Fraudfinder? Anyway,this seller of late has been carefull to distinguish game used items from non-game used items so in the words of b+e Collectibles in a feedback response,"I don't play games".