PDA

View Full Version : Jose Fernandez horrible news

KGoldin
09-25-2016, 01:35 PM
I am sure everyone heard the shocking and horrible and news by now.
I would like to request that out of respect and so this forum does not look horrible, no one post want to buy or want to sell messages of his items until October
Such a big loss for baseball and his family .

HawaiiSportsNut
09-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Ken... I totally agree with you. We should be mourning the death of Jose & not be profiting on his death. Prayers to the family of Jose & to the Miami Marlins.

seanbaseball
09-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Good Call Ken

sherbal15
09-25-2016, 03:06 PM
I agree with you Ken. People selling his stuff on eBay and other places should be ashamed. Trying to capitalize on a tragedy like this would show a complete lack of respect for Jose and his family.

sox83cubs84
09-25-2016, 03:55 PM
I agree that such capitalization on his death is tasteless and wrong. Unfortunately, such despicable antics are not new to this hobby. Veteran autograph collectors well remember the "DiMaggio Death Watch", and that wasn't even a result of Joe D's passing...just an illness that many thought would end his life. I second Ken's suggestion.

Dave Miedema

1970REDS
09-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Classy Move Guys

yanks12025
09-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Its a joke the people who listed his stuff on eBay today to make a quick dollar off his death. $3,000 for a game used baseball from his rookie year or $7,500 for his bat and jersey.. That is disgusting.

Also i notice the marlins have his final game used jersey up for sale(has been up since the 22nd).. I hope they end it and give it to his family or display it at the stadium.

danesei@yahoo.com
09-25-2016, 06:56 PM
I saw the news and actually wondered if I should dump all my Fernandez stuff. Not from a profiteering viewpoint, but moreso to avoid having a bunch of items that will be essentially worthless in a year. And, yes, I do believe it's tragic that he passed away and at such a young age.

gameused
09-25-2016, 07:55 PM
His last jersey he wore for a win when he pitched against the Nationals on 9/20/16 is currently on MLB auctions and should be ended. The jersey should go to his family. Just loved his intensity when he pitched, he was fun to watch. RIP Jose!

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=1356353&pgmode1=teamsite&pgcust1=marlins&pgmode3=livebid&&qt[0].type=openbrac&qt[1].type=openbrac&qt[2].type=fieldmatch&qt[2].name=panname_partnername_s&qt[2].value1=mlb&qt[3].type=operor&qt[4].type=fieldmatch&qt[4].name=panname_partnername_s&qt[4].value1=team&qt[5].type=closebrac&qt[6].type=operand&qt[7].type=fieldmatch&qt[7].name=panname_teamname_s&qt[7].value1=marlins&qt[8].type=closebrac

carbonrosa
09-26-2016, 09:24 AM
I just received an email from MLB Auctions about Jose Fernandez's jersey:

Hello,

This email is in regards to your bid on MLB Auctions Listing # 1356353 - Jose Fernandez Jersey - Vs. Nationals 9/20 - 12 Strikeouts - 16th Win of Season. Due to the recent tragic events surrounding Jose Fernandez, we will be removing this item from the auction and the Marlins will be giving the jersey to the Fernandez family. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Gregory Novick
E-Commerce Manager, Authentics & Hard Goods
MLB Advanced Media, L.P.

KGoldin
09-26-2016, 09:49 AM
TREMENDOUS
Maybe they read the suggestion to do just that in this thread?

I just received an email from MLB Auctions about Jose Fernandez's jersey:

Hello,

This email is in regards to your bid on MLB Auctions Listing # 1356353 - Jose Fernandez Jersey - Vs. Nationals 9/20 - 12 Strikeouts - 16th Win of Season. Due to the recent tragic events surrounding Jose Fernandez, we will be removing this item from the auction and the Marlins will be giving the jersey to the Fernandez family. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Gregory Novick
E-Commerce Manager, Authentics & Hard Goods
MLB Advanced Media, L.P.

truvalue123
09-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Common sense and compassion.

carbonrosa
09-26-2016, 11:12 AM
TREMENDOUS
Maybe they read the suggestion to do just that in this thread?

It would be nice but I highly doubt they read this thread and decided to act upon our concerns. They know the significance that jersey possess since it was his last jersey worn during a start and how he told his teammates that was the best game he ever pitched. If they would of sold that jersey and the press caught wind of the transaction, the Marlins would have had such a bad P.R. problem on there hands. It was nice they gave it to the family. I thought them keeping it while displaying it in the stadium and telling his story for all the fans to see would of been a nice gesture as well.

KGoldin
09-26-2016, 02:11 PM
I was being sarcastic about them doing it because of this thread!
just glad they did it

yanks12025
09-26-2016, 02:40 PM
A ESPN report said that MLB still plans to sell the jersey at a later time. And that came from a MLB spokemen.

So
Not sure if they're keeping it or selling it.

truvalue123
09-26-2016, 03:44 PM
The article did NOT SAY ANYTHING about selling at a later date. I read this as meaning they will continue to sell Fernandez jerseys..ie replica...

Bourne said the league has decided that Fernandez jerseys will still be sold. The league's portion of its royalty will be donated to a yet-to-be-determined charity.

yanks12025
09-26-2016, 03:52 PM
The article did NOT SAY ANYTHING about selling at a later date. I read this as meaning they will continue to sell Fernandez jerseys..ie replica...

Bourne said the league has decided that Fernandez jerseys will still be sold. The league's portion of its royalty will be donated to a yet-to-be-determined charity.

You're correct. I misunderstood what he meant.

Stanley
09-26-2016, 06:18 PM
I figured most of the high bids came right after the news..... People just trying to make a $...

emann
09-26-2016, 07:55 PM
I figured most of the high bids came right after the news..... People just trying to make a $...

I'd disagree. Being honest, I think if my favorite player died suddenly and his final jersey was already in an auction, I'd probably bid on it. Not to resell it, but because it would be a very meaningful piece to have in my collection (I rarely sell anything). Not the same as people listing their items for sale on eBay at high prices (same day he died no less!) or auction houses pulling in Fernandez items for their next catalog.

That said, I think a far better outcome for the family to get this jersey. MLB got it right this time . . .

MarlinsFan1993
09-27-2016, 09:04 PM
I have no idea if this message I sent to one of my contact on Sunday evening had anything to do with this subsequent decision, nor do I much care. Just want to post this hear to echo the sentiments of the Marlins and applaud the organization for this thoughtful decision regarding Fernandez's final start jersey. RIP JF16

MarlinsFan1993
09-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Part 2:

MarlinsFan1993
09-27-2016, 09:06 PM

mook03005
09-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Esteban

Well said my friend. I took my wife and kid to the Sep 26 game, and signed the memorial board. Something Im hoping my 6 year old will remember forever. I try to tell her Baseball is more than just a game, and that night (and his legacy) will be remembered forever. Jose played baseball for all the right reasons. RIP #16

sox83cubs84
10-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Both the Heat and the Panthers honored Fernandez last week. The Heat players wore pregame shooting shirts with Fernandez's initials and number on them, while the Panthers donned home game jerseys with FERNANDEZ 16 on the back for the pregame skate.

Dave Miedema