PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on these two game used baseballs.

bryzzo2016
10-12-2016, 05:17 PM
These have been on eBay a good while.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on them ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281894380166?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Swoboda4
10-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Where does it say they were game used? If you're asking, are these the home run baseballs, it DOESN'T say so. It doesn't even say they were "used" in the game(s).

bryzzo2016
10-12-2016, 07:36 PM
The MLB database says they are:

mrjohnmalton
10-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Cool inscriptions and everything, but the baseballs are just random ones that were used during the NLDS last year. Incredibly overpriced.

bryzzo2016
10-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Yep, they are definitely not the actual home run balls. (MLB will not authenticate anything as game used that leaves the field of play. )

You are correct about the price too. Offered him $1500 for them, and he won't budge.

Tell me, isn't $1500 a more than fair price for that set ?

mrjohnmalton
10-12-2016, 09:52 PM

$1500 is definitely more than fair, even for a hardcore Cubs fan. eBay has thousands of game used items that have been listed for God knows how long because people think they are in possession of some "holy grail" item. There have been items that I've wanted to add to my collection, that aren't in my collection for this exact reason. You just gotta do your best to get ahold of stuff before the "other guy". You could probably get your hands on a couple 2015 NLDS balls yourself, have them signed, and have plenty left over for other memorabilia purchases.

carbonrosa
10-12-2016, 10:27 PM
I don't even see how these two baseballs are even worth $1500? Just find two other random baseballs from that game and then wait for "Major league Alumni Marketing" or who ever they signed a contract with to have Bryant and Rizzo sign them with the same inscription. It might take a little time to find two but it will be a lot cheaper then what this guy is offering.

I will never get why people think a random ball from a major event is worth as much as or even more then the exact milestone baseball? Then they get it signed by the player who does 3 or 4 signings a year and think they just hit the jackpot. As great as its been that MLB created its Program, they have also flooded the market with a lot of crap. The secondary market is a harsh wake-up call for all involved.

bryzzo2016
10-12-2016, 10:31 PM
I don't even see how these two baseballs are even worth $1500? Just find two other random baseballs from that game and then wait for "Major league Alumni Marketing" or who ever they signed a contract with to have Bryant and Rizzo sign them with the same inscription. It might take a little time to find two but it will be a lot cheaper then what this guy is offering.

I will never get why people think a random ball from a major event is worth as much as or even more then the exact milestone baseball? Then they get it signed by the player who does 3 or 4 signings a year and think they just hit the jackpot. As great as its been that MLB created its Program, they have also flooded the market with a lot of crap. The secondary market is a harsh wake-up call for all involved.

Isn't it hard to find NLDS balls ? I don't see them very often.

carbonrosa
10-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Isn't it hard to find NLDS balls ? I don't see them very often.

Maybe, but I do know most teams have stock piles in there back office. For example The Nationals have sent me the list of all the baseballs they collected from Game 1 & 2. At least 60 baseballs per game and I've only seen 4 on MLB Auctions. I'm sure some sold but if you just want a random ball, at least you know it's from that game. Also each year you see on MLB Auctions during the playoff season baseballs from past years. Try calling the Cubs Game used store and asking what they have available. A little digging can get you a long way.

Swoboda4
10-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Yep, they are definitely not the actual home run balls. (MLB will not authenticate anything as game used that leaves the field of play. )

You are correct about the price too. Offered him $1500 for them, and he won't budge.

I would say $1,000 is high enough for both. You're right about that they are game used baseballs from postseason, sorry. And nice that auto-session is included in the hologram info. They're not worth the ebay price, by contrast what would a pair from this year be, $4,000??. I wouldn't pay that much for a game used ball that I couldn't track down exactly what play it's from. On another note-I have an authenticated HR ball that left the field, retrieved and given to authenticator, I'll dig it out.

carbonrosa
10-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Swaboda4, shoot me an email. I have a few Mets baseballs I'm going to sell if you're interested
-Devin

Carbonrosa@aol.com

bryzzo2016
10-13-2016, 06:10 AM
I would say $1,000 is high enough for both. You're right about that they are game used baseballs from postseason, sorry. And nice that auto-session is included in the hologram info. They're not worth the ebay price, by contrast what would a pair from this year be, $4,000??. I wouldn't pay that much for a game used ball that I couldn't track down exactly what play it's from. On another note-I have an authenticated HR ball that left the field, retrieved and given to authenticator, I'll dig it out.

I agree ! $1000 was my original offer. I personally think a fair price for any game used baseball is in the $250 range. Unless it was used for some milestone.

As far as a home run ball that left the game of play being authenticated by MLB. As long as it didn't go into the stands, I can see that. But, my understanding is that once a ball mixes with the crowd, the authenticators won't touch it.

niembre
10-13-2016, 09:38 AM
I have a 2015 NLDS game used Miguel Montero bat that I photo matched him using in Game 3 and also the clinching game 4. Does anyone know how much this bat would be worth? I am not looking to sell, just wanting opinions.

bryzzo2016
10-13-2016, 09:50 AM
I have a 2015 NLDS game used Miguel Montero bat that I photo matched him using in Game 3 and also the clinching game 4. Does anyone know how much this bat would be worth? I am not looking to sell, just wanting opinions.

Sorry to say, not a whole lot. There isn't much of a premium on Montero items. My guess would be $500 on a really good day.

cjmezz
10-13-2016, 11:48 AM
You are all correct. These balls are just generic balls used in a game. NOT the ones actually hit. Very minimal value really, the balls could be had pretty cheap and the signature/inscriptions could be paid for and you'd be in the same boat probably under $1,000.
If you guys think these are overpriced, take a look at some of the other sellers items...outrageous!

As for MLB and HR...they will not touch or sticker anything that goes into the crowd or is touched by a fan....that's their protocol for the integrity of the program. Now a milestone ball MLB has marked with a number/letter code and has tracked to the fan that caught it and security can get ahold of them...that's a ball they will sticker. But rare occasion

niembre
10-13-2016, 12:49 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Not too bad, considering I bought the bat for $60 shipped. It took me a while to figure out that it was a playoff gamer, but I got a good 60 photos of Montero using the bat.

Sorry to say, not a whole lot. There isn't much of a premium on Montero items. My guess would be $500 on a really good day.

bryzzo2016
10-13-2016, 04:01 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Not too bad, considering I bought the bat for $60 shipped. It took me a while to figure out that it was a playoff gamer, but I got a good 60 photos of Montero using the bat.

Shoot for $60 I would have definitely bought it.

I think I was being generous with $500. It would take a rare Montero fan to pay that. But, it is from the NLDS, so that makes it cool. If you tried to sell it on eBay you'd probably have trouble hitting $200. But, it's a cool piece to have. And for $60 who cares. :)

mrjohnmalton
10-13-2016, 08:34 PM
As far as a home run ball that left the game of play being authenticated by MLB. As long as it didn't go into the stands, I can see that. But, my understanding is that once a ball mixes with the crowd, the authenticators won't touch it.

That's not completely true. There have been cases of authenticators meeting with people who caught milestone home run balls before. A good example is when the notorious ballhawk Zack Hample caught Carlos Beltran's home run at Shea Stadium. It ended up being the last homer hit by a Met at Shea. Milestones are definitely the exception.

Swoboda4
10-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Swaboda4, shoot me an email. I have a few Mets baseballs I'm going to sell if you're interested
-Devin

Carbonrosa@aol.com

Devin- just sent the response, just saw your post-Robert

bryzzo2016
10-16-2016, 05:37 PM

Wish you had the one he hit that Grand Slam with last night. Now, that would be something !

niembre
10-17-2016, 11:59 AM
I thought the same thing when after he hit that GS.

Wish you had the one he hit that Grand Slam with last night. Now, that would be something !

sox83cubs84
10-17-2016, 04:44 PM

The local news did a short story on the person who caught the Montero grand slam Sunday night. It was a 12-year-oold boy who went to the game with his parents. The kid had his dad take a phone picture of him holding the ball. I hope it doesn't end up on eBay.

Dave Miedema