PDA

View Full Version : Loan or Donation to Museums

mrozie21
11-17-2016, 07:59 AM
Has anyone loaned items to a museum. I'm looking at this possibility instead of an outright donation.

TBM
11-17-2016, 09:37 AM
I am starting the process of "applying" to loan some items to an institution. First time trying to do something like this. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can share my love of collecting GU items with the public.

Keep us updated on your progress.

salukidave
11-17-2016, 11:52 AM
I loaned a Michael Jordan Birmingham Barons jersey and a White Sox soda bottle to the Chicago Historical Society for a sports exhibit it held coinciding with the 2003 All-Star Game. They were super professional. They picked up the items at my house and brought them back when the exhibit was over. They displayed the jersey by using small stitches to hold it upright in a display case and removed them without a trace afterward. I remember signing some papers. My two items wound up making an appearance in a feature Antiques Roadshow did on the exhibit.

ironmanfan
11-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Over the years, I've loaned numerous items to the Ripken Museum (when it existed) as well the Babe Ruth/Sports Legends Museums in Baltimore.

Just make sure you're provided with a written loan agreement which will outline the terms of the loan, including proof of insurance coverage for the slim chance of something happening to the item(s).

rj_lucas
11-17-2016, 05:56 PM
This season I loaned a ball to the Kansas City Royals Hall of Fame for display in their World Series exhibit.

They had a loan agreement, which we both signed, that included the start and end dates of the loan and the level of insurance they would carry for the item.

I felt the original insurance amount was too low, so we had to negotiate that number a bit. They also added a line to the exhibit card that said “Loan Courtesy of…”

They were very gracious and easy to work with, and it was fun to see the ball on display. Roughly 100,000 people went through the exhibit.

metsbats
11-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Several of us Met collectors have loaned items to the Mets HOF museum since 2009 when it first opened. Pretty standard procedure as Rj_lucas outlined.

The only concerns would be if the item is displayed exposed to sunlight. One year someone's autograph on one of their items faded.

wfl1974
11-17-2016, 09:27 PM
My experience, albeit limited, has been with the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and the Paul W. Bryant museum. In both instances the institution was not interested in an "on loan" arrangement, both requested that if I wanted to donate the items, they would be glad to have the items. I have donated items to both museums, but as of yet, haven't donated the items that I inquired about loaning them. Most likely I won't, at least not for now. The Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and I discussed a display of WFL and USFL items that were Birmingham or the state of Alabama related, but it never really got anywhere.

TBM
11-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Rj_lucas, you can count me as one of the 100,000 that got to view that ball. Actually probably about 10 of that 100,000 is me. I enjoyed that ball. Specifically remember looking at and drooling over that ball. Thanks for sharing it and hope it's dried out by now.

mrozie21
11-18-2016, 05:58 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences, it's been helpful.

Mike

LarryWalkerFan
11-19-2016, 06:08 AM
Has anyone loaned items to a museum. I'm looking at this possibility instead of an outright donation.

The only times I've attempted to loan items to a museum, they said that they only accept donations or purchase items outright. I've been offered money for an item I wanted to loan, but they refused to accept it as a loan.

stasman
05-05-2017, 09:40 AM
I loaned a Michael Jordan Birmingham Barons jersey and a White Sox soda bottle to the Chicago Historical Society for a sports exhibit it held coinciding with the 2003 All-Star Game. They were super professional. They picked up the items at my house and brought them back when the exhibit was over. They displayed the jersey by using small stitches to hold it upright in a display case and removed them without a trace afterward. I remember signing some papers. My two items wound up making an appearance in a feature Antiques Roadshow did on the exhibit.

I just bought my first WS soda Bottle...I was wondering if I overpaid..What value would you put on the bottle?

ironmanfan
05-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Saw this thread was resurrected and thought I'd share this photo from the Sports Legends Museum in Baltimore (circa 2010), where Doug DeCinces (with Chris Hoiles) is posing in front of a display case with my game used jersey of his from the summer they were elected to the Orioles HOF

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/1decinces-1-1.jpg