PDA

View Full Version : Tom Seaver's Last Jersey

Doodles
11-23-2016, 03:20 PM
This listing for Tom Seaver's last jersey claims he wore it in spring training of 1987.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/1987_Tom_Seaver_New_York_Mets_Game_Used_Spring_Tra-LOT36808.aspx

As a Met fan, I clearly remember Seaver was not at spring training, but attempted a comeback in May after the Mets had multiple injuries. The jersey shows a number one on the back that has a different serif than the Mets use and the front numbers are too tall and thin compared to the Mets usual numbers. I wrote the seller an email and they have not responded.

Any thoughts?

TNTtoys
11-23-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't think the Mets wore home gamers in Spring Training. Back then, I believe they exclusively wore the blue home BP and blue road BP jerseys. Any photo evidence of otherwise out there?

sox83cubs84
11-23-2016, 08:47 PM
The tags look like normal Rawlings tags, but I have to agree with Nick. My recollection is that the Mets did only wear BP jerseys in 1987 spring training; no game jerseys. I'd be wary on this one.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
11-24-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm more wary of the number font...the serif on the one looks different from the standard block font...the one also looks a bit smaller than the 4 on back. On the front, the font is off as well. The Mets have been extremely consistent with their home font over 55 years. The jersey for auction is on the left and a 1983 Seaver on the right to compare fonts. Seaver did pitch in some instructional leagues to try to comeback in May of 1987, so it is possible someone did a rush job on this jersey...but that shoots down the spring training story.

Phil316
11-26-2016, 08:15 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek:

Gray Flannel actually addressed a situation and have corrected the description.

Doodles
11-27-2016, 04:43 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek:

Gray Flannel actually addressed a situation and have corrected the description.

Thanks...I think people can now bid with some more clarity.

Phil316
11-27-2016, 11:15 PM
I think so. The wording is still a bit over the top. A little misleading.