Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gorilla777
    • Aug 2009

2017 HOF voting

About 15% of the total votes tallied, it's been tracking with Raines and Bagwell being ahead solidly thus far, Pudge close behind, then Hoffman and Vladdy.

A jump forward for Mussina and most surprising, the move up for Bonds and Clemens. It's early and likely the "yes" voters come forward first, but still...
  • Chris78
    • Nov 2007

Re: 2017 HOF voting

I have been watching this daily as well. It looks real good for Bagwell and Raines, and I-Rod may make it as well. If Trevor Hoffman would have kept more of his supporters from last year, he would have a better chance. With Selig being inducted, it is not surprising that Clemens and Bonds are seeing a major boost. Edgar Martinez and Mike Mussina are seeing good numbers as well and so is Vlad.

To me the biggest surprise is Manny Ramirez at 35% of the vote at this time (17% of the vote in), where Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Rafael Palmiero have either fallen off the ballot or almost have fallen off the ballot. I thought all 3 of these players were better than Ramirez, and Manny also failed two drug tests as well.

Comment

• Game Used Bats
      • Feb 2006

You think Sosa, McGwire and Palmeiro were better than Manny Ramirez? No offense, but they are not even in close. Manny could be be a top 10 right hand hitter of all time, steroids aside.

Comment

• Chris78
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Game Used Bats
        You think Sosa, McGwire and Palmeiro were better than Manny Ramirez? No offense, but they are not even in close. Manny could be be a top 10 right hand hitter of all time, steroids aside.
        I reviewed the stats and I am not seeing it. Manny even had the least home runs of the 4. I view Manny as even being more tainted as well with multiple failed drug tests. Just because he played with Boston does not mean he should be treated any differently. Manny is more similar to those 3 then Clemens, Bonds as well.

Comment

• sorklora
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Game Used Bats
          If we're putting steroids aside, then Palmeiro suroasses them all without a doubt as he's one of only 5 players in MLB history with 500+ homers and 3,000+ hits and say what you want about steroids, but that didn't get him those hits and homers, his sweet swing did.

Comment

• gorilla777
            • Aug 2009

I think there has been an increase in new voters the past few years, so the overlooked guys (Raines, Edgar) and then Bonds/Clemens getting higher totals via that angle. The generations look at the PED angle and the advanced metrics tools very differently in their assessments.

Comment

• KGoldin
              • Sep 2012

I think Bagwell, and Raines are a LOCK
              Irod actually doing extremely well, although with the past rumors of his PED use (via Canseco) I would be surprised if there wasn't a big silent block not revealing ballots who will NOT let him in first time.
              every year new voters come on and old go out.
              If Bonds and Clemens can creep up above 60%, it will look very good for both of them
              I cannot imagine a HOF without Barry Bonds. greatest hitter I ever saw. end of story

Comment

• Nnunnari
                Banned
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chris78
                I reviewed the stats and I am not seeing it. Manny even had the least home runs of the 4. I view Manny as even being more tainted as well with multiple failed drug tests. Just because he played with Boston does not mean he should be treated any differently. Manny is more similar to those 3 then Clemens, Bonds as well.
                Dude, Manny might be the greatest right handed hitter of all time. I don't think he'll ever get in because of the multiple failed tests but he was incredible.
                Once Pudge gets in, the rest of the non-failed test steroid guys need to get in. Pudge clearly used, Bagwell most likely used, all these guys still belong in the Hall (along with Barry, Roger, Sosa etc). A Rod, Manny and Palmeiro won't get in because of the failed tests.

Its amazing the lack of love for McGriff, the Crime Dog was a no-doubt HOFer.

Comment

• Chris78
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nnunnari
                  Dude, Manny might be the greatest right handed hitter of all time. I don't think he'll ever get in because of the multiple failed tests but he was incredible.
                  Once Pudge gets in, the rest of the non-failed test steroid guys need to get in. Pudge clearly used, Bagwell most likely used, all these guys still belong in the Hall (along with Barry, Roger, Sosa etc). A Rod, Manny and Palmeiro won't get in because of the failed tests.

Your view of Manny is way too extreme. One thing that needs to be considered is that his stats would not be as good without the use of PED's. If he hit 450 home runs without PED's, would he be the greatest right handed hitter of all time. I do not think so.

I like your view of McGriff though. He has the highest amount of home runs for anyone not associated to PED use that is not already in the Hall of Fame. I have always felt that in order for some of the PED guys to get in such as Manny, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, etc., McGriff needs to be inducted first. He would be my 10th ballot selection if I voted for 10 people on this year's ballot. Are any of those guys better than McGriff without the PED use? I feel that is something that people need to consider, and truth be told, may be the best way for these PED guys to get inducted at some point.

Comment

• KGoldin
                    • Sep 2012

Manny was amazing .
                    Seriously
                    And love able
                    Not like a McGwire or Sosa where it was a home run or a K
                    Look at his OBP
                    Almost Williams and Bonds like
                    Multiple failed tests a big problem though, however all late in his career

Comment

• Juicyfruit66
                      • May 2015

If the ped guys don't count as cheaters, why is rose still banned? Taking enhancing drugs to play better than those. Who follow the rules is pretty low in my opinion, bad role models and bad exanples to young players

Comment

• BirdsOnBat
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by KGoldin
                        Manny was amazing .
                        Seriously
                        And love able
                        Not like a McGwire or Sosa where it was a home run or a K
                        Look at his OBP
                        McGwire was not of the same offensive profile as Sosa, his career OBP% is .400, he took walks and had a great batting eye. Sosa's career OBP% is about 50 points lower. They may have both chased the HR record one season, but they were far different at the plate.

Comment

• nevrdiez34
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by BirdsOnBat
                          McGwire was not of the same offensive profile as Sosa, his career OBP% is .400, he took walks and had a great batting eye. Sosa's career OBP% is about 50 points lower. They may have both chased the HR record one season, but they were far different at the plate.
                          Sosa also had more Hits, Runs, Home Runs, RBI, Doubles, Triples, stolen bases and a higher Batting Average
                          Always looking for Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field Items

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Nnunnari

Pujols>Ramirez

No doubt manny is one of the best from the right side however.

Comment

• KGoldin
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BirdsOnBat
                              IMO- Mark McGwire should be in the HOF for making people CARE about baseball again!
                              Ripken may have 'saved' baseball after the 1994 strike, however McGwire pushed it back to the spot as America's pastime in 1998

I hate these self righteous voters...if it wasn't against the rules at the time, and wasn't banned, and if no positive tests.....if they are worthy let them in....
                              (than again I think Rose SHOULD be in as well, put a note on his plaque that he was banned from MLB Baseball (but not the hall of fame)

Comment

Working...