PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Identifying If An Official Ball

3arod13
12-20-2016, 07:27 AM
In my research, I can't find images of the Wilson Ball to the right. I can find Rawlings, but not Wilson. Is this Wilson ball an official ball that would have been used in games? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3arod13
12-20-2016, 01:13 PM
http://photos.bigleaguebaseballs.com/minor-league-milb/

Wrigley2010
01-26-2017, 05:46 AM
Hey Tony,

The link you provided no longer works. I know Zack was having issues with the website and it may be shut down permanently. If that link did not answer your question then I can confirm that Wilson did indeed make official game balls for much of the Minor Leagues and in fact did so for decades. I'm going off memory here but I believe they made them from the early 40's all the way through the early 90's. Rawlings and MacGregor both made official baseballs during some of this time frame as well but Wilson covered a much greater range of the Minors.

If my memory serves me correctly the baseball you have pictured was used from the mid 80's through the early 90's. I have several Wilson baseballs myself from this time period that I obtained when I was a kid attending Midwest league games. The ball pictured to the left would have been introduced in the early 90's just after the other ball pictured was no longer being used. Hope this helps.

sox83cubs84
01-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Same here...I recall getting Wilson baseballs both in games and BPs during the first 2 or 3 years of the Kane County Cougars existence. Not only Midwest League baseballs, but Wilson Minor League Specs baseballs, as well.

Dave Miedema