PDA

View Full Version : Ebay item 282299295871: Now you don't see it, now you do!

sox83cubs84
12-21-2016, 10:24 PM
The above item is a year-tagged Pete Rose 1983 Phillies road salesman's sample that was pulled off eBay after the seller was contacted about the true nature of the item by a noted Phillies game used expert. The jersey was originally offered, according to the Phillies guru, as a game used 1983 Rose jersey. It's now been reintroduced to eBay, now described as a "spring training" jersey and, unlike the first posting, now has names written inside the placket area of the tail (both names, one of which is a crossed out "ROSE"), look fresh. Not a gamer...beware.

Dave Miedema

Abigballs
12-23-2016, 07:37 AM
I saw that too. The tagging seemed very odd (no set number) and not like most early 80's phillies tagging I was familar. In the past I noticed a Carlton jersey from 1984 without a set number (sold by a major auction house as game used). Are you saying if there isn't a set number it is probably a salesman model?

http://oct09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=13642

sox83cubs84
12-23-2016, 11:21 PM
I saw that too. The tagging seemed very odd (no set number) and not like most early 80's phillies tagging I was familar. In the past I noticed a Carlton jersey from 1984 without a set number (sold by a major auction house as game used). Are you saying if there isn't a set number it is probably a salesman model?

http://oct09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=13642

The majority of Wilson Phillies gamers from that era use set numbers, but the Carlton is more likely an extra issued to Carlton, given that everything else looks OK. This Rose has the Wilson tag in the wrong location, no NIC tag, no NOB, and no space for a NOB to have ever been there in the first place.

Dave M.

Abigballs
12-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks, yea I understood that part of your original post. I was curious of why it wasn't a true game used item? Was it because no set number? If so, did you notice the link I posted of a 1984 Carloton Jersey also listed as game used by a major auction house, also without a set number? Do you think this one also isn't game used for the same reason as the Rose?

Abigballs
12-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Whoops. Disregard my post, you answered my question.

sox83cubs84
01-10-2017, 09:21 PM
The above item is a year-tagged Pete Rose 1983 Phillies road salesman's sample that was pulled off eBay after the seller was contacted about the true nature of the item by a noted Phillies game used expert. The jersey was originally offered, according to the Phillies guru, as a game used 1983 Rose jersey. It's now been reintroduced to eBay, now described as a "spring training" jersey and, unlike the first posting, now has names written inside the placket area of the tail (both names, one of which is a crossed out "ROSE"), look fresh. Not a gamer...beware.

Dave Miedema

Still up on the 'Bay...seller has still not taken action to fix this.

Dave M.